View Poll Results: What should Linkshare do with SynergyAnalytics?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it. Its only Beta and its sure to be better than the old reports when its done.

7 18.92%
  • Kill the project and provide all of the old reports.

30 81.08%
    Synergy Analytics vote Up or Down.
    Would you prefer that Linkshare continue rolling out SynergyAnalytics or return to the old reports only.

Hello,

Does anybody know if the the data from prior to 2005 is missing permanently or temporarily?

Regards,

any more voters?

What should Linkshare do with SynergyAnalytics?
    If you had included some X-rated responses to choose from, I would have voted.

hint: should be involved.

Steele, do what I did and add the appropriate four letter words to this - Kill the project and provide all of the old reports. You'll see that it flows just fine.

I voted to bring back to old reports. Time is money and SynergyAnalytics take up waaaaay too much time.
    [left][font=Trebuchet MS][color=darkslategray][/color][/font] [/left]

Wonder how similiar the graph above would be if you polled everyone to see if Mr. Messer should be given the boot or not? Yeah, I know, he owns the company...we are stuck with him.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    They had a guy on here to explain the analytics (which apparently means 'colorful graphs'), but he never answered questions. Instead he spent his time telling us how great it is.

That would be Dave, who disappeared on Feb. 7th after opening a a discussion thread here. No reason was ever give by Linkshare or Mr. Messer for why he left so early into the discussion and no one was ever assigned to replace him. Just another example of poor management during this period.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Give me back the old reports!

Hello,

While this poll is not statistical significant, it may still be telling.

Regards,

PS. Jimbo LMAO by your revelation of the definition of SynergyAnalytics.

Hello,

Any more voters. If you don't have enough posts to vote, you can just post a reply with your vote. I will add them to the tally and update occassionaly.

Regards,

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hmmm

Do I vote for kill it, since by nearly all accounts (every comment that LS itself didn't post), it sux the big one...

Or do I vote for KEEP IT, knowing that keeping it will help drive more business away from Snare?

Decisions, decisions...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

After putting everyone through this hell, they damned well better keep it and make it work and be a whole lot better than what they had before, too! If they don't, I think we can just kiss LS goodby.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I vote that it's currently DOWN.

Oh, wait. That's not what you meant by up or down...
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I don't care what they do with it. All I want is checks that I can actually cash in!

Has LS ever gotten anything right the first time? In the two years I've been with them every 'improvement' has been a disaster.

JazzT.

Currently 82% of the folks voting say to kill Synergy Analytics. I think that is a pretty clear message.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Hello,

Its a pretty small sample size and I wouldn't be willing to say that it is statistically signigicant, but it does provide a datapoint for how well affiliates are receiving the concept.

Based on this news story

http://internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=15127

it seems clear that the changes are being driven by the merchants, not the affiliates. The concept that they are trying to "unmask" the profitible and clever affiliates doesn't seem to show a lot of respect for affiliates. But its not hard for me to imagine that the merchants are more valued Linkshare customers than the affiliates are. (btw. I think of myself and the merchants as customers, rather than partners with the various networks)

When Amazon introduced a new reporting structure several quarters ago, they first ran a beta program with what seemed to be about 25 affiliates. The beta program manager was responsive to the affiliates and many changes were made in that relatively short (about a month) period. Even with that the rollout had some bugs and caused some upset with associates. But Amazon jumped on those concerns within days and fixed them.

What I find about odd about SynergyAnalytics is that there seems to have been zero input from affiliates at the front end of the process. I don'tknow of any evidence of any requests fo more types of reports or graphs from Linkshare.

I do recall a number of posts on this board requesting real time reporting, and/or some sort of status indicator to know how current the reported results are. Neither of these points is even remotely addressed by synergyanalytics.

Its a long winded way of saying, that the poll results so far, indicate that SynergyAnaltics is trying to solve a problem that didn't exist for affiliates in the first place. And it doesn't address actual issues that affiliates have with the original reporting structure.

So I assume that the reporting structure was actually conceived to benefit the merchants in some way. I can't guess how though.

Regards,

That story and many like it are everywhere. Mr. Messer's PR department may not have considered affiliates in all this, but they sure did do a media blitz of the new Athena. Do a google search for Linkshare Athena and you will see what I mean.
    Last edited by Ron Bechdolt; June 7th, 2005 at 02:48 PM.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Excellent post, JRB! You hit the nail on the head there.

I do have some very minor suggestions to the old reports (in addition to the ones you mentioned):

1) Change the default from 20 lines of detail to 40. That way, when we run the Revenue report by day for a month, it'll fit on one page.

2) Change the default sort order of the reports to whatever makes the most sense. For instance, with the Sales & Activity report, sort by total commissions earned.

3) Add a report that's similar to the Sales & Activity report, except instead of showing a summary for each merchant, show a summary for each period in the range (with options for day/week/month/etc, similar to the Revenue Report).

All of this is extremely minor.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    That story and many like it are everywhere. Mr. Messer's PR department may not have considered affiliates in all this, but they sure did do a media blitz of the new Athena. Do a google search for Linkshare Athena and you will see what I mean.
    That's because all they care about doing is selling the company.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qball0213
    That's because all they care about doing is selling the company.
    They'd get a higher price for it if they didn't nuke themselves first!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Hello,

One addendum to my previous post. It does occur to me that some Merchants may have requested that the payment history report be removed. I am sure that being shown as a late payer is a negative for the merchant. Although thats not really a merchant benefit of synergy analytics, it probably is better for the slow paying merchants to have that report eliminated.

Regards,

PS. the merchant history report was one of my primary filters in determining who to promote.

PPS. Another frequent affilate request not addressed by synergy analytics is a system wide results information (ie such as CJ has) to help determine which merchants have the best potential.

My vote is to keep synergy analytics - IF - LinkShare will develop some viable method to gather user improvements and implement them. Any of the Siebel CRM programs have taken two or three years, several iterations and alot more money than LS has budgeted to perfect them but they do have a fairly good data engine and can get it right (eventually) with our help.

In the meantime - bring back the in house reports we are used to - the only cost to LS will be maintaining two copies of the data - that is no big problem for most mainframe shops.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread