Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Blogging and AdSense
    i'm not sure where to post this exactly, so if i'm in the wrong spot feel free to move to it.

i'm new to the whole blogging scene.. i've searched on google and found a few articles about it and what not, but i don't know what to trust and what not too.

i'm wanting to start my own blog in short, and make a few extra bucks with adsense.. i want my blog to be based around current events, and the tech world. do you have any links i can check.., that explain blogging to a newbie. how to keep it up to date with relevant articles, etc etc.. any help is appreciated.

I recommend getting a free account with Blogger. Just pick a template and start writing articles. Once you've added enough content, you can sign up to AdSense and start adding ads. Just gotta be sure your information is unique and interesting. Blogs are great for people with excellent writing skills.

Best of luck!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Most of my sites are pure sales sites, but I've got one site that's a blog/Adsense setup.

Biggest problem with blogging/AdSense: Getting Google to show ads that are NOT about blogging itself, RSS readers, etc. (you want ads for what you're actually talking about!) I've even tried banning blogging companies from my AdSense account, yet those types of ads still appear too much.

how to keep it up to date with relevant articles,
    Latch onto a news source so the news comes to you, instead of you hounding it out.

Then HAVE OPINIONS about it all and put those opinions on the blog! Your opinions are the articles you post on your blog. If you just reprint AP or Reuters stuff, or something similar, then prepare to be trounced in the SEs by higher-ranked "real" news agencies (who all seem to have the same news feeds as each other).

Plus, AP and Reuters stuff is copyrighted out the wazoo. I know some people just stick it up on their blogs anyway, but they're really leaving their butts out there as a big lawsuit target doing that...

The rest is pretty much the same as any other site. Get those links-in...and remember that the more saturated a topic is, the harder it is to get seen.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    You can also check the links below out. Was posted in another forum and there's some good stuff there.

http://www.problogger.net/

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...gs-earn-money/

I added a blog to my site a few months back. I agree the hardest part is new fresh content. If you can write, then you are going to do well.

The blog has done very well with adsense compared to our forums. Not as well as the reviews section though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Latch onto a news source so the news comes to you, instead of you hounding it out.

Then HAVE OPINIONS about it all and put those opinions on the blog!
    this is what i basically read to do.. which i figured would be easier.. find a few news sites that i like.. then re-post the articles i like and add my opinions on them as well. i guess i should add a reference link where i previously got their article and everything, that way i won't end up having any problems later.

would you suggest a certain site, like blogger.com or having my own domain?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    but I've got one site that's a blog/Adsense setup
    do you think you could post, or PM me the link to your blog?
    Last edited by snootem; May 31st, 2005 at 12:16 AM.

i guess i should add a reference link where i previously got their article and everything,
    I refrain from reprinting entire articles (although occasionally I'll quote a line or two), but I always link to the original article anyway. Not only to cover my butt, but so people can see I'm not making up the facts that I'm basing my opinions on.

would you suggest a certain site, like blogger.com or having my own domain?
    I have my own domain and wouldn't have it any other way. What if people like you? You want them to be able to find you even if you change hosting later.

I use WordPress as blog software. Search G for sources of free templates, and you can ditch their default layout without grief...

I recommend getting your own web space and downloading Serendipity. It's a very nice free blog program and looks very much like Blogger. Best to have your own domain.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

blog on "How to Blog"
    @ezkimox - I actually have a weblog on 'how to blog' which you might find helpful - it's a place where I have been documenting my own experiences with learning how to blog and choosing which software to use, finding templates, customizing your blog, etc.

There are a few posts of note that would be particularly helpful for ABW folks:

As with any blog, posts are listed in reverse chronological order. If you want to read the entire blog start to finish, you can either start with the archives, or you can click on the category 'weblogs', which contains every single post (again, read from the bottom up).

Personally, I'm still on the fence between WordPress and TypePad as far as favorite blogging platform goes. WordPress is free and much more customizable, but more complicated as a result (some plugins don't work well with each other, some customization requires a little PHP knowledge - although none of that is necessary if you just want to go with the default installation). TypePad has a nominal charge, and is extremely easy to use. You can get a free 90 day trial of Typepad Plus by using coupon code MOVABLE when you sign up.

As for the recommendations to just use blogger - if you're serious about wanting to earn money I'd stay away from it because it lacks some core functionality that is key to blogs - namely trackbacks and categories.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there are any blogging questions I can answer for you (or articles you think I should cover on the site).

Emily
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 6th, 2005 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks for all the replys i've gotten so far. I've downloaded WordPress, and installed it. I think i'm going to like it. However, I have a question.

I have most of my hosting setup on one domain, and for other domains I just foward them to something like -> domain.com/wordpress/ ..would it be ok doing this? Or would I be able to get more traffic if I setup hosting on the domain itself instead of fowarding it?

are you able to edit posts on here? i can't seem to find a way to edit.

anyways.. i found this WP Adsense Plugin. i installed it, and got it working, but it's not displaying relevant ads, am i doing something wrong? or do you know if there's a better plugin to display ads, or should i just manually input the code on each post?

i didn't write this article, i just copied and pasted it, to test the adword relevance.. but just to show you what i mean with the ads it's displaying: http://ezkim0x.com/blog/wp/?p=2.

Getting rid of the blasted ads for blog-related stuff (as opposed to ads related to what you post on your blog) is one of the biggest technical challenges. Banning other blog places from your AdSense account seems to have the best results. Even though AS says the changes take place within a few hours, I found that it took a few DAYS before they quit showing.

Once that huge source of irrelevant ads was eliminated, the ads got a lot more on-target...but still not perfection. But at least they're closer (and worth more $$)

are you able to edit posts on here? i can't seem to find a way to edit.
    There's a time limit. I think it's 30 minutes now...

As for the recommendations to just use blogger - if you're serious about wanting to earn money I'd stay away from it because it lacks some core functionality that is key to blogs - namely trackbacks and categories.
    I hate the lack of trackbacks on blogger!

does anybody care to post all the blog-related ads they've gathered to add to the 'banlist'. or will i have to not be lazy and do that one on my own? .

Here's the list I use. (I got it off of Digital Point):

www.myownblog.net
    www.squarespace.com
    www.bloggingbiz.com
    www.agematch.com
    www.blog.wareareyou.com
    forum4bloggers.com
    www.blogger.com
    www.enewsblog.com
    www.blogware.com
    www.mamma.com
    www.myblogsite.com
    www.wonderbranding.com
    fotothing.com
    prosperall.com
    secure.netfirms.com
    www.blogging-bonanza.com
    www.preschoolians.com
    www.miego.com
    www.slate.com
    www.ezsgblog.com
    www.infoworld.com
    www.blogjet.com
    www.canaca.com
    www.digg.com
    www.igossip.com
    faces.com
    blogs.ittoolbox.com
    workpad.com
    www.computerweekly.com
    www.journallog.com
    www.blog.co.uk
    homocon.com
    www.vortexhost.com
    www.plentyoffish.com
    natala.blogspot.com
    www.blogstogo.com
    www.blogexplosion.com
    www.creative-weblogging.com
    www.google.co.uk/adsense
    www.securesafepro.com
    toolbar.google.com
    wireclub.com
    www.flexfinder.com
    www.futublog.com
    www.egoweblog.com
    www.blogster.com
    www.faces.com
    www.isontheweb.co.uk
    www.sparkpod.com
    www.bloggingequalizer.com
    www.blog-software-blog.com
    www.blogharbor.com
    blogs.ardice.com
    www.blogidentity.com
    www.bloggingsecrets.com
    www.webfetch.com
    www.userland.com
    www.lesbianconnect.com
    bloggercrab.com
    www.blogigo.com
    successblog.biz
    www.didakutz.com
    www.blogpulse.com
    www.dreamhost.com

I think I put Google's toolbar in there myself. I don't want to advertise something that may Amazon-ize my pages. And Mamma.com, as I recall, is associated with some kind of parasiteware co.

Happy pasting!

Quote Originally Posted by ezkimox
    Thanks for all the replys i've gotten so far. I've downloaded WordPress, and installed it. I think i'm going to like it. However, I have a question.

I have most of my hosting setup on one domain, and for other domains I just foward them to something like -> domain.com/wordpress/ ..would it be ok doing this? Or would I be able to get more traffic if I setup hosting on the domain itself instead of fowarding it?
    does anybody know about this?

Getting rid of the blasted ads for blog-related stuff (as opposed to ads related to what you post on your blog)
    Was kind of surprised to see this, as I haven't had the same problem with my (4) blogs.

Are you using header tags? Most of the ads displayed on mine seem to home right in on what I have in the header text.

I'm surprised you've had such good luck! DigitalPoint had quite a few threads about the problem of AdSense plastering blogging-related ads on blogs (whether or not they are blogs about blogging).

I do notice that my ads are a lot more on-target when I view an individual post. But when it comes to the main page, it still has a hard time getting it right, even with my ban list in place (although with the list, at least it's not advertising stuff related to blogging).

Looking at the source of the main page, I see the template uses:

H1 for the name of the blog
    and
    H3 for the post titles.

Right now, I see that for some reason, AdSense is showing anti-virus ads on the front page (totally irrelevant to the subject). But when I pulled up the latest post on its own page, THEN it came up with the right kinds of ads.

H1 for the name of the blog and
    H3 for the post titles
    Same here. Does the name of your blog include the word 'blog'? I would wonder if that may be a factor.

[edited to add] Just checked the first post on one of mine, with a post title of "Welcome To The [subject-keyword] Blog". 2 of the 4 Adsense ads are for blogs, but the other 2 are right on topic.

Does the name of your blog include the word 'blog'?
    No (and neither does the URL)! In fact, I went to lengths to not mention the word 'blog' on any pages AT ALL, in the hopes of stopping the blog ads from coming!

Maybe AS is picking up the other clues. Like how it says "trackback" and "comments" on the pages...things like that. Or maybe it's the one link I left to WordPress. But even that line says "Powered by WordPress"--not "blogging software!"

Blogging,

It can be very hard b.c you cannot change the tags on blogger as far as I know, sometimes you will have to wait until google continously spiders the blog, also if you have a problem you can contact google directly and they will usually look into it after some time. Another way is attached a site to your blog, er a link rather and redirect them to a content page with adsense, this will not be as effective, but it may generate some adsense revenue for you.

Will-

"cannot change the tags on blogger"

In the template, change the blog title from H1 to H3, and change the post title from H3 to H1.

Then send me 50 bucks for this $50,000.00 tip.

Thanks your right, I checked it out Thank you for your help!!!!!!

Will-

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    The only time I see ads for blogs is when I am in one of my blogs editing. Otherwise AS has been right on.

I have a friend that runs a personal finance blog, and he does very well with google ads. If you have a good idea, I'd say run with it.

What about only having 3 ads per page or are the just displayed on the sides?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast