Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Question CJ Data Feeds
    If a CJ merchant had an external data feed as apposed to one via the CJ system, with the links and data set up with everything except your PID, would this be an attractive option to anyone, or is the preference to use the CJ FTP to collect the data?

The issuing we're having is that the feed that goes direct into CJ is direct from the merchant Database and therefore can need a fair bit of cleaning before it is useable, where as the one we can do from local we can scrub clean and remove pointless fields before adding the CJ link codes.

We are also looking at having CJ grab the feed from a different location so that we can clean it up before CJ grabs it too, this would mean both on and off CJ feeds are the same in format and data.

On CJ the cost for setting up the feed is currently $200. If you are earning over $10,000 dollars in commissions per month this fee may be waived at CJ's discretion.
    Is this $200 PER merchant feed to $200 one time for all feeds?

Your feedback appreciated

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I thought this was $10,000 in sales, not commission, I could be wrong but that's what I thought I remembered it as being.

It is $10,000 across all merchants though.

I use the CJ feed for some merchants that also provide a direct feed, and sometimes the merchants direct feed.

In my case, if the merchant provides more information on the direct feed, I'll use that. For example, thumbnail images as well as full size, better description, better category breakdowns etc. If the feeds were the same I would be more likely to use the CJ feed, it's more convenient for me as it would be updated at the same time as all the other CJ merchants feeds.

The one downside of the CJ feed, is that a lot of merchants don't use the Advertiser Category field properly, which can make the feed impossible to use. In my case, and I expect in the case of a lot of affiliates, that becomes the main navigation.

The $200 is one time and covers all merchants. There are some merchants that offer to comp the fee for some affiliates.

For me, an external feed is not too appealing because it's a unique step outside of what I do with my CJ FTP. But if there appears to be a significant difference and if it's with a merchant that I have come to realize delivers good performance for me, then I'll do it.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Chris,

I personally prefer the external feed, cleaned up nicely. I have a few merchants that offer that, and I prefer that to having to go through the whole process of requesting the feeds through the network, etc. I should mention that I will never get feeds through CJ unless a merchant bypasses the CJ system and gives it to me, because my niche is such that I doubt I will EVER make more than a couple thousand in sales a month (low price point products, not likely to be bought in 'bulk'), and I refuse to pay the $200.

Just my two cents!

~Lisa~
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Internet Cowboy
    We are also looking at having CJ grab the feed from a different location so that we can clean it up before CJ grabs it too, this would mean both on and off CJ feeds are the same in format and data.
    I use the feeds in CJ, mostly because I am set up that way. If you could clean the feed up before CJ grabs it, that would be great. I assume this is EverythingHome you are talking about.

The $200 is a one-time fee for affiliates who haven't generated $10,000 in sales in a month. (I wouldn't be surprised if CJ would waive the fee if a smaller affiliate asked nicely and gave a good game plan for how they would use the feeds.) Once you're receiving CJ feeds, you can add other merchants at no cost.

I think what you'll find is that those who already use CJ feeds will prefer CJ feeds, but that there will be many others who prefer direct feeds.

I would definitely recommend that you scrub your products before sending them to CJ too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I thought it was reaching $10,000 in sales all overall not being able to generate $10,000 in one month? Can anyone clarify that?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Sales.

Excerpt:
    We have received your request to enable Product Data functionality for your Commission Junction account. In order for us to integrate Product Data functionality for your Commission Junction publisher account a $200 one-time set-up fee will be required for access and deducted directly from your account balance. This integration fee is applied for the initial implementation of Product Catalog data transfer functionality and will be charged at the time of the integration.

However, this charge will be waived if your account has earned at least $10,000 in advertiser sales revenue for one month during the past 12 Months. Again, if you do not meet this criteria, the $200 integration fee will apply.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Try to get your merchant to waive it - if they've worked to prep a decent datafeed, they want it promoted. If you're a serious aff, you should easily get comp'd just by chatting with the merchant / AM and telling them your plans for what you'll do with the datafeed.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If you could clean the feed up before CJ grabs it, that would be great.
    I agree.

I actually avoid merchants who are at CJ, but who won't make their feed available through the CJ FTP system. It irks the blazes out of me when they do that!

[edit: clarification]
    Last edited by Leader; May 31st, 2005 at 11:37 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I know the $200 fee irks many affiliates. However, it's my opinion that you can earn more many faster by spending the $200 than by not spending the $200. Of course if you can get a program AM to get it waived for you, even better. But I think the bottom line is that it's better to get tapped into the CJ FTP feed than not to.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Was that aimed at me?

If so, you misunderstood... the merchants I avoid are the ones whose feeds are NOT available via CJ FTP.

What irks me, is when a merchant is at CJ, but their feed isn't in the CJ FTP feed.

No leader, that wasn't aimed at you or anyone specifically. Forgive me if it appeared that way.

The post was intended to address the affiliates who struggle with whether or not to move ahead with consolidated datafeed access through CJ.

I understand your post and agree with the point.
    Dennis Duffy

Okay, just wanted to make sure...

I also would prefer a "clean" feed but through CJ. I get all my feeds in one big lump each week, and I'm set up to process them that way.

If you supplied a clean feed outside of CJ, but with the column names, text fields and links all formatted functionally identically to those in the CJ feeds -- so I could use my existing templates without modification -- I'd use that in preference to a messed-up feed from CJ.

I concentrate mainly on CJ vendors, and changing my templates to use differently-formatted feeds is something I avoid where possible.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Internet Cowboy
    The $200 for datafeed access is the best $200 I have ever spent.

Thanks all for the feedback, seems to me the plan of action will be

1. Scrub
    2. Load to CJ weekly
    3. Have an external too

Yes it is ETH, feed is about 7800 after we remove any with missing data. The aim is to get it so that every field has info in it and the data is as clean as we can possibly make it

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Okay we've changed our feed system and we should have the new, cleaner and smaller feed loaded on CJ today (if it has no errors in it )

We'll have the external version ready shortly after that.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I agree.

I actually avoid merchants who are at CJ, but who won't make their feed available through the CJ FTP system.
    [edit: clarification]
    I have been a member of CJ for a little over a year and I have never noticed the FTP system on CJ could you elaberate on this please.

Method of geting CJ's product catalog for whatever merchants you have joined.
    Lot of posts here on how to get access.
    Mine is set up so I can get mine daily, you can set up different frequencies and methods.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Hi Apex

You need to request access from CJ, then based on how much business you are doing they will either require a $200 set up fee ot waive it if you are a high volume member, if the former then check with the merchants you work with and do well with to see if they will pay the fee for you, some will if you are driving good revenue for them.

Cheers

Chris

Talking Everything Home CJ and External Datafeed
    Hi Everyone

Okay the new cleaned up Everything Home Datafeed is now loaded and accepted into CJ, roughly 7700 items listed, an external feed is available for those who prefer that, please contact Patrick to get a copy

Cheers

Chris

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread