A question on learning datafeed..
    For the past few months I have been reading up on the suggestions for learning Datafeed management.

I'm now ready to dive in, but I'm unsure where to start. So far I have looked into Yank's book on How to Build a Data Base Driven Web Site and also Webmerge.

I have seen some posts about using Dreamweaver. I currently use this product to generate my sites.

Does dreamweaver cut out the need to use things like Access and Webmerge? Basically...how can I use Dreamweaver to manage datafeed?

Thanks
    Mel

Affiliate Manager
    Dreamweaver is a great tool for designing pages. You can use it with WebMerge by just putting WebMerge tags in your layout where you want data from the feed to appear and WebMerge will take it from there, making a copy of the page for each product in the feed.

The demo is free so you can check it out for yourself:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/webmerge/index.html

You'll probably want to take a look at the TagMaker tool in WebMerge's Tools menu -- it lets you build tags quickly with simple point-and-click and then you can paste those into your page in Dreamweaver.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thank you both!

The demo is free so you can check it out for yourself:
    I tried it months ago, but it was on my old computer, so I will download it again. I think I got screwed up when the feed I was using was too big for the program I was using (tried Excel and Access). So I did not get very far. I think I will try it out again with a smaller feed.

Jane: Thanks for the link. I was looking at the Help Tutorials included with Dreamweaver and they were so jumbled up when i searched "databases" I really had no clue where to begin. I appreciate it!

Mel

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by meleemel
    I tried it months ago, but it was on my old computer, so I will download it again. I think I got screwed up when the feed I was using was too big for the program I was using (tried Excel and Access). So I did not get very far. I think I will try it out again with a smaller feed.
    I would be interested in hearing if it gives you any more trouble. We have some folks regularly processing more than 50,000 records at a time without difficulty, and with available RAM it should be able to do at least twice that number.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I think I was just "to new" at the time and need to try again. Webmerge was not the problem.. it was similar to this:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ght=large+feed

Mel

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread