Charging for Banner Placement ??
    What is the average rate everyone charges for posting a merchant banner on your top pages?

Thanks,
    leeann

leeann, there won't be an "average" rate, as site statistics and "targetness" differs (and so will the rate differ). What is your visitor statistics and audience demographics?

Geno

Thanks for your reply Geno. I was just trying to get an idea of how other people handle putting paid banners up. I figured out that I will base it on an amount per thousand and see how it goes.

Something to consider...when you lease space for a banner ad, you are not making commissions off of that space.

I charge a flat fee for my banner space and don't give out my visitor stats. I've had a national company on one of my home pages for two years and have brought in a tidy little sum during that time.

Also, if this helps, I bill by the the month, quarter or year, giving a discount for extended leases. Most choose the quarterly method.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I charge a flat monthly fee for exclusive banner placement that's slightly higher than what I would earn with AdSense in the same spot. I also give my merchants the ability to buy the placement for half price as long as it's an affiliate link.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I've been doing something similar to what MichaelColey suggests, charging up front, slightly higher than what I make from Adsense to bump Adsense down the page (but not replace it). It's been okay, but in the future I want to be a bit better at predicting growth. It's not fun having prime real estate locked up for a year when you're seeing big time growth, but then again, at least they paid up front...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I charge 40 dollars for a text link
    100 dollars for a banner ad in a rotation of 5
    1500 for exclusivity in that particular spot

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Thanks for your reply Geno. I was just trying to get an idea of how other people handle putting paid banners up. I figured out that I will base it on an amount per thousand and see how it goes.
    Leeann, CPM (which stands for ""cost per mille"" or "cost per 1000 [impressions]") can range from $1 to $100. What the others are suggesting (flat monthly or weekly rate) might be easier to work with, and easier to sell too!

Good luck!

Geno

Partly it depends on whether you're going round touting for business or responding to enquiries.

I've only ever responded to enquiries and come up with a figure like this:

1/ Estimate how much you might make from a good performing affiliate banner on that page per month. Say one that was in the top 25% of YOUR conversion rates.
    2/ Add an extra 50% or even 100% if you're feeling confident to this figure.
    3/ When I send the figure to the prospective advertiser, I state the monthly rate as in 2-above and then some deal to get down to 1 if they pay quarterly in advance.
    4/ Make sure you say something about how the rate is only guaranteed to the end of the current payment period, monthly or quarterly, and may change if traffic does (like it would if it was an affiliate link).
    5/ Give them a few size and placement options, host the banner yourself and reserve the right to veto god-awful ugly graphics!

I usually let my current advertisers keep their current rates (even through November and December!) as long as they remain listed and paid up in advance. I don't like having to switch banners out and my traffic is relatively consistent (except for November/December). If an advertiser sticks with me during the off months, I don't mind giving them a deal in November/December.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The majority of our banners are CPM or part of larger package deals. We use affiliate merchant banners in isolated spots.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread