What happened to Buy.com?
    Buy.com is no more among my client list to create link. Does anybody know if they left the Linkshare or ended the affiliate program?

Thanks

Buy.com took the brave move to CJ today. I think this is a sign of what you will be seeing in the next few months, from the emails I am getting from LS merchants after the fiasco of the last two months. Would not surprise me if you see many other big names make the move in the next few months as their contracts expire. LS has fallen short of honoring their contracts with merchants and they are seeing the losses in affiliate revenues. It's simply a matter of econimics and profit lines, so they have to change networks if their affiliate programs are to survive.

I'd be curious to see what other affilates might guess would be the next big merchant to leave LS? Any guesses?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Yeah. How didn't you know about the buy.com move.
    They have been spaming me 2 to 3 times a day about it for the past 3 weeks lol.

I've updated all their links!

FWIW, KBkids.com moved from CJ to Linkshare a month or two ago. I haven't gotten around to updating their links yet.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I didn't get single e-mail about their move.

It will be difficult to update all those links

Yub.com leaps from 8 to 50 online merchants since February launch

Yub.com, the Buy.com’s online mall and social network offering that debuted with eight retailers in February, says it will feature a total of 50 retailers by the end of this month. The YubMall offers products and merchants in the home, beauty, consumer electronics and entertainment categories, and rewards users with up to 25% cash back incentives for purchasing through the site.
    Source

Weird how a publically traded three letter domain merchant and their affiliate program is full of

Anyone ever think about this?

I have! - Remember when I b!tched them out on the radio show? .... 12 calls to the CLO/ CEO later and ... well there were udates from camp cupcake (oh sorry Melissa). .... Anyone want to really question or better yet speculate why they went to CJ?
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 1st, 2005 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Removed a Smilie
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

because CJ is more lenient then Linkshare when it parasites?

Hello,

Does Yub provide any "reminder" software, or overwrite cookies in any illegitimate fashion? Yub didn't strike me as parasitic.

It did strike me as a big "leak" for affiliates, since they drive traffic from buy to yub without compensating affiliates. They also run adsense on the site. They don't share that revenue with affiliates who drove them traffic either. Another "leak". I no longer promote them.

Regards,

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Thanks for that link Haiko, I had not seen that. Interesting they are about to have a big expansion of yub. I actually went to yub when the move was posted in the CJ forum and noticed just a couple of new merchants, but definitely not to that degree. I also noticed CJ merchants for the first time. Buy.com really needs to decide what they are: an Internet Merchant, Internet Advertiser (amazing how they actively recruit selling of ad space on their web site) or affiliate incentive shopping mall. Buy.com certainly seems to be having an identity crisis and I wonder about a company that feels to need to branch out into the other areas for revenue.

@HardwareGeek: Well I know that LS doesn't look favorably to Merchants entering into private partnerships with parasites who they have terminated and many times they have something in place to back that up. I am not aware of that being the case with CJ. It's a shame Melissa never bothered to come back and respond to me in the CJ when I questioned her regarding her claim that Buy.com had cleaned out their program of parasites.

Internet Cowboy
    How dare any of you suggest that Buy.com is parasitic. They clearly say they are not in this thread.
    It's a shame Melissa never bothered to come back and respond to me in the CJ when I questioned her regarding her claim that Buy.com had cleaned out their program of parasites
    Kellie, I think you left her nothing to say. Anything she said at that point would make her look foolish or clueless.

I didn't like the ideas of Yub or the AdSense because of the "leakage", but Melissa posted that links to Yub were suppressed on clicks from affiliate sites. At the time, I tested it with my Linkshare link and she was right. I just tested it again with my CJ link, and I don't see any mention of Yub or any AdSense ads on Buy.com after clicking through my affiliate link. I don't think there's any leakage.

I've averaged over an 8% conversion ratio with Buy.com this year, which also indicates that there is little if any leakage.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I don't know about Melissa, but my neighbor is willing to sell off Ad space on her body to Buy.com, Yub or any other short named Adwhore operation. Hey the space is valuable! Coming to a pool party near you...... The Yub Tub

[ image removed ]
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 1st, 2005 at 04:18 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Thanks MichaelColey for your post. We do suppress the Yub.com ads, more stores tab as well as sponsored ads from affiliate referred traffic.

Buy.com affiliates, I know there are a lot of concerns out there about Yub.com or any websites you define as "parasitic". Please feel free to pick up the phone and discuss your concerns with me so we both have a clear picture of what the issues are and I can address them accordingly.

Thank you,
    Melissa

Melissa D. Salas
    Buy.com Marketing Manager
    affiliates@buy.com
    949-389-2431

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Woohoo...an invite for a phone call.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread