Internet Cowboy
    Adware/Spyware Setback
    Possible setback. The BHO's are fighting to keep their ground and certain members of the anti-adware industry are apparently scared.
    The next time you run a scan with your anti-spyware tool, it might miss some programs. Several anti-spyware firms, including Aluria, Lavasoft, and PestPatrol, have quietly stopped detecting adware from companies like Claria and WhenU--a process called delisting. Those adware companies have been petitioning anti-spyware firms to delist their software; other companies have resorted to sending cease-and-desist letters that threaten legal action.
    Full Story

Talking
    Also I'm sure the anti-spyware business has gotten super-competitve recently, so theres plenty of room for 'back door deals' to improve the bottom line.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58897

I expect to see more of this down the road. I would agree it is a setback.

ABW Ambassador
    Look at it this way. Those Anti-Spyware companies that cave will eventually sink. Those that stand up will rise to the top. With so much of this crap out there, the Anti-Spyware/Adware business is getting very competitive. So I look at it this way. The Adware people are just weeding out the weak apples in the bunch for us. The Anti-Spyware/Adware people don't want to get a rep of so easily being pushed around.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Like I said...the only real gunslinger going after the B-a-HOs is Bill Gates. The rest are just opportunistic marketers and in some cases Spyware/Adware folks playing both sides of the fence.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    I agree with you, Trust. They are only hurting themselves and dilluting the value of their own antiadware software by delisting these apps.

Trust, should they violate the law? I don't see it as these guys necessarily caving in, but being put between a rock and a hard place because legislatures didn't get it right. In fact, a spyware removal vendor I talked with was not a happy camper about this at all. They had to delist some companies due to the CA law and again was not happy at all. I just can't say that I expect these companies to put themselves at risk and have civil and/or criminal suits brought against them that they could very well lose. And such suits brought against them under an AntiSpyware law.

There's already been a long-standing trend of a growing number of so called spyware removal applications flooding that market. These guys are actually just adware/spyware folks themselves which put out a so called removal application (or pop-up blocker) to front for their adware/spyware which gets installed also very quietly. The actual removal application does little to really afford the end user any protection since their focus is really on adware/spyware and not security. BonziBuddy had such an application and the FTC went after them towards the end of last year on grounds of false advertising. BonziBuddy settled with the FTC.

Unfortunately, it appears that lawmakers didn't factor this in when writing their laws. What we need to see is the government address this loophole if they are going to put such things into law. IMO, you shouldn't be able to put out security software with anything else that isn't security software related.

ABW Ambassador
    "They had to delist some companies due to the CA law and again was not happy at all. "

Did the MS tool have to do the same thing? If so which ones? And was it just because it was labeled as Spyware? If so couldn't they just label it as a Spyware and Adware Removal Tool since it is Adware.

I'm interested in hearing about whether this affected Microsoft's Antispyware software, too. That's the only one I recommend anymore.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Did the MS tool have to do the same thing? If so which ones? And was it just because it was labeled as Spyware? If so couldn't they just label it as a Spyware and Adware Removal Tool since it is Adware.
    Neither. Because they have attached spyware removal applications with it, which is then security software.

I don't know if MS has removed such instances from their detection yet or not. Some companies are in a better position than others to have a new law possibly tested on them. I've been doing some upgrades to the test computer. I have a couple more things to finish up there and intend to check and see.

ABW Ambassador
    Well i think the MS tool is the best out of the bunch and the one i'm pushing. And like you said they are in the best position, won't be pushed around by these Adware companies. They make his IE look like crap*, payback time

*yes i know thats mainly bills fault

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread