ABW Ambassador
    Can WebMerge be used for articles & link pages?
    Dumb questions, because I don't have a clue. I downloaded the trial and have just started going through the tutorials, and got to thinking that maybe it could be used as a simplistic type of CMS. Like for putting articles on a site, and templated pages of links - something like a directory but more custom. It would be better than the CMS I've looked at because those have tacky URLS, even with the built in search engine friendly fixes.

That isn't too much different from setting up category pages of affiliate links and "content" pages that act as what I think of as hallway pages. This would be a simple, useful way to get feet wet with the program first time out, and could be implemented right away on a site currently being developed.

Is it possible, and if so, how would the data be stored to pull for page creation?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Dumb questions, because I don't have a clue. I downloaded the trial and have just started going through the tutorials, and got to thinking that maybe it could be used as a simplistic type of CMS. Like for putting articles on a site, and templated pages of links - something like a directory but more custom. It would be better than the CMS I've looked at because those have tacky URLS, even with the built in search engine friendly fixes.

That isn't too much different from setting up category pages of affiliate links and "content" pages that act as what I think of as hallway pages. Is it possible, and if so, how would the data be stored to pull for page creation?
    You can use any database to store your articles. We have a number of customers (including two major magazine publishers) who use either Access or FileMaker to author into, and use WebMerge to post to the web.

If you're looking to author content for WebMerge to publish be sure to check out the new WM-Wiki tag -- it was designed for authors to write formatted text more easily than with straight HTML, using a lightweight wiki-style syntax.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    OK, so then the Wiki tag could be used for generating directory style links pages then right? Would those need to be put into Access or is there a simpler way? Just linked URL (with custom title anchor text) as title and description under is all that's needed, in a certain order.

The data is ready and waiting, it just needs to be put into some form to run the program, about 10 records would suffice for a trial run. I'm looking for an immediate use for the application to get it rolling the first time. Once that hurdle is over I'll register and start digging into feeds.

>>Publish any database on any site

I'm seeing that, kind of like a cross-platform desktop CMS.

Affiliate Manager
    OK, so then the Wiki tag could be used for generating directory style links pages then right? Would those need to be put into Access or is there a simpler way? Just linked URL (with custom title anchor text) as title and description under is all that's needed, in a certain order.
    Any database will do, but Access and FileMaker Pro seem among the most popular for this sort of workflow, mostly perhaps for the ease of setting them up.

I'm not sure what's meant by "directory style links", but I think WebMerge's index pages will do what you want. Be sure to review at least the Overview section of the Help pages included with the program to get a feel for the lay of the land. And of course drop in here with any questions that come up.

>>Publish any database on any site

I'm seeing that, kind of like a cross-platform desktop CMS.
    Exactly. One of the goals with WebMerge is to keep it wll tuned for the needs of affiliates while implementing things in a way that will have broader application as well.

We have a major magazine publisher who's ditched their old CMS in favor of a lightweight workflow using just FileMaker and WebMerge. When their site goes live with the new system I'll add it as a case study to my site.

The WM-Wiki tag was developed in part with their assistance, honing the range of tags and the format of the syntax to best serve the needs of their writers, so it's getting a real-world industrial-strength workout daily.

If you think of additional options that would be good to support in the WM-Wiki tag please drop me an email anytime. That's a powerful tag, and one which will no doubt grow over time, esp. considering the push with a lot of affiliates to add custom content to their pages.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread