Thumbs down 2001 Recap, 2001-2005 and beyond!
    Let's take a recap of what happened in 2001.

2 Massive Rounds of layoffs after the S-1 was pulled. June 1st, 2001, Linkshare teetered on bankrupsty, in the next few weeks, Mitsui came in and gave a fresh infusion of cash for a bigger stake in the company. Mr Messer's quote of the day to employees: "You guys are making it really hard for me to find money when you're posting on these websites!" Do some searches and you'll find some great dot.com stuff.

2001-2005: Every wonder why nothing has changed in the interface as CJ makes continual improvements? All of the tech ppl who created the original interfaces were fired or resigned. Linkshare has been using the Seibel CRM software since 2000 to analyze transactions and instead of improving the awkwardly slow and tedious reporting system, tries to integrate the Seibel software into the existing data.

2005 and beyond. Why aren't things improving? Linkshare never hired a few more programmers to get their system going and relies on their overzealous team of lawyers to keep their existing merchant crop. Mr Messer is a more a savvy lawyer who says nothing and speaks in circles than an honest business man. With the whole Verification controversy, why not do credit checks on Merchants? Hold more money in Escrow? Merchants screw over more Affiliates than vice versa. Linkshare will always be running in circles, promising the world to hold on to Merchants and Affiliates while Messer puts more money in his wallet.

It's not "more programmers" that they need. It's "better programmers".

(6/11/05 Update: I'm not sure this is fair. Perhaps what they need is "better direction for their programmers".)
    Last edited by MichaelColey; June 11th, 2005 at 10:03 PM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    Keep the programmers, fire the CEO.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sooooo...recap...you're an ex-employee of LS?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Sooooo...recap...you're an ex-employee of LS?

I think it is better upper management that has been needed. This last fiasco clearly demonstrated that to affiliates and merchants and will be not soon forgotten.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I think it is better upper management that has been needed. This last fiasco clearly demonstrated that to affiliates and merchants and will be not soon forgotten.
    could not have summed it up better. My guess is Mr. Messer thought he could handle most of it and save money to line his pockets and then things got in over his head and now his company is tarnished in the eyes of established affiliates and merchants!

Newbie at tooting my own horn M_Diddy's Avatar
    I will bet anything that the programmers are from third world countries such as India or Russia. That is just pure stupidity....having the budget for the best and spending next to nothing in a far far away land.....for crying out loud, this isnt Shrek 2....if it was Messer is definately looking like a donkey, and I am fed up

You need to spend money to make money....happy affiliates make you money...you get what you pay for.....I can go on and on and on...but time is money and I aint got no time for this BS any longer.

Sup Haiko...Even Ron....DoggFather....That lip chick

Diddy

I'm sure spending money isn't the problem. I doubt Siebel's Analytics package was cheap.

What we have here is simply a lack of understanding (by Linkshare) of what affiliates want and need.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Honestly, Diddy, what makes you think programmers from India and Russia (which are not third world countries by any means) are inferior?

When a company I worked for did a complete upgrade of its relational database systems they brought in-house dozens of programmers from India to help staff get the job done. They were nice people and very, very good at their jobs. They were the experts on the database, staff were the experts on in-house processes and workflows. Without them we would have been lost. (Oh, and by the way...they weren't cheap.)

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread