ABW Ambassador
    are cj clicks underreported?
    are cj clicks underreported?

many are saying that clickthrus are down these days, and then, performing the same number of clicks on different merchants produce a widely varying reported clicks.

just wondering.

I was wondering about that today. But, It may just be a slow day, rent being due and all.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I have been tracking click-throughs through redirects on my end for over five years, and virtually every network reports about 5% fewer clicks than I do. I attribute this to poisoned "hosts" files, Internet issues, and spiders/bots. (I filter out spiders/bots and block them from clicking my redirect links, but sometimes I miss some.)

One thing to keep in mind is delays in reporting and time zone differences. I find that it's much more accurate to compare a month's worth of stats. Another thing to keep in mind is that some places (like Amazon and I think Performics?) only log unique clicks.

If you're seeing a bigger difference than that, you might be getting a lot spiders/bots. Some of them don't follow the redirects and some networks filter those clicks out. The other possibility is that you have some links that aren't working right, but that's pretty rare.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences on these boards. It goes a long way to explaining things in ways others can easily understand and it helps having a publisher post based on actual experiences.

Thanks,
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    the issue that i'm putting forward is more specific (it is not about bot clicks), and is based on my very own actual experience.

i clicked like hell on one cj link and got a proportional number being reported on CJ. and yet, when i did that on the link of another cj merchant, the number of reported clicks was almost non-existent.

why the discrepancy?

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to bash cj. i'm more on the solution side. and the reason i am frustrated is that the merchant that has the apparent underreporting is a good converter, and i have been plastering their links all over the place. if the clicks are not being tracked, then the eventual purchase will not be too.

Is this just a regular link? In other words, does it just look like http://www.qksrv.net/click-12345-67890 (possibly with another domain)?

I've seen some merchants have problems creating "Advanced" links, but normal links go straight through CJ first so there's no way for a merchant to mess them up.

Feel free to PM or email me if you'd like. Also, you might try AAQ on CJ. They're very good at responding quickly.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

:: Hello ::

A great example of a piece of creative not having clicks tracked through CJ with our program for example would be our free websites. Only the Buy now buttons show a click in CJ when they are clicked on. The click to your website is not tracked through CJ because your website is being hosted by you and your PID is within the header script there is no pixel set by CJ on the pages just on the Java Script include files for the Buy Now buttons. Your CJ PID is set when they click through the Buy Now button and then you get a click registered in CJ.

Also my PPC affiliates do not show impressions for thier PPC ads when they use a destination URL pulled from CJ but they do show clicks and $$ Sales!

What are you clicking on? Is it live (online) when you make the click? Is your PID set properly in the code? Are you clicking through to a dynamic landing page, product add to cart button from a datafeed? or on a banner?

PM me your link if you want someone to check your code..

ABW Ambassador
    to be fair, no, it's not an X10 link.

both links that i mentioned are regular cj links with url redirection allowed. in my case, i have redirected each of them to a particular page on the respective merchant site.

and i did my clicking on my online pages (not the ones in my harddrive).

the issue of the second link is not about having no clicks being reported, but of having less reported clicks than it should have.

Even with redirection, it goes through CJ first so they should be doing the click tracking before they redirect.

This might be one for Todd or AAQ.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Even with redirection, it goes through CJ first so they should be doing the click tracking before they redirect.
    that is how i understand it too.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread