But mostly surprised....

I know, they are the competition. I know, I should be happy that they've ignored all warnings about Ebates (because eventually their affiliates will drop them and come to us), but I don't understand why they'd do this.

On the other hand, it doesn't look like people are leaving them in droves, so maybe the anti-Ebates movement isn't as strong as it used to be.

All in all... we took the high road and dropped Ebates (and others) as soon as we found out what was really going on. Our affiliates work hard for their commissions, they deserve them.

Others, including our friendly competitors at RugsUSA haven't.

The final question is... which route has the stronger long-term impact?

I wonder if RugsUSA will make a move when they do so see some financial impact from their inaction??? But what if they never see it????

What if they continue just as strong as ever because people (lots and lots of them) continue to support them, in spite of the Ebates controversy.

What happens then?

Just wondering...

Paul

Rugman.com - Merchant Through CJ

Direct Link

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Hi Paul,

I can tell you, the high road is the only road to take. I was able to succesfully grow Tiger to 1.6 MM without the Ebates 125K monthly revenue. Yes, I removed them and knew i was dumping the 125K, but you know what? The affiliate power took over and we not only covered the "loss", we grew the revenue and paying the affiliates for what they originally were generating.

Call me if you like and I will elaborate....

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management
    and Consulting Services
    P: (305) 412-3512
    C: (305) 785-4524
    E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

ABW Ambassador
    Paul here is my take,

There is nothing wrong with people going to the ebates site to get discounts on merchandise. However, when they provide a downloadable application that infringes on merchants and affiliates wherever they go they cross the line.

I believe that an application that is designed to watch a users every movement while they surf and has the ability to capture sensitive financial information is an infringement on a consumers right of privacy. Sure, their users agree to this but how many really know what is going on.

If you put in "real simple terms" - If you want a discount you can go to ebates web site and shop. Is their really a need for an application that has the ability to infringe on a consumers privacy because people forget the rules they need to follow to get their discount? I don't think so!

While many merchants do support ebates I believe that the many who do are insensitive to thier customers privacy in regards to MMM and will be at risk with many consumers as well as stock holders at some point in the future.

I appreciate your stance and am glad you can see past the "hype". Let your customers know you respect their privacy rights!

I'd even suggest you consider updating your sites privacy statement and make it a stand alone page. Add a link or graphic on your home page or menu to it to make clear you don't support or knowingly partner with downloadable applicationas that are considered spyware, scumware, theftware, or parasiteware!

Help spread the word and use your position to build your own loyalty ethically!

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

quote:
    Originally posted by PaulS:
    On the other hand, it doesn't look like people are leaving them in droves, so maybe the anti-Ebates movement isn't as strong as it used to be.

The networks have many sales people calling merchants saying how great eBates and the other parasites are and discrediting actual findings posted as well as the posters on ABW. Shit CJ once said to a merchant that we only whiny complainers CJ's most recent resolution of Code of Conduct complaints about WhenU by affiliates was to include the majority of the complainers websites into the WhenU exclusion list, this is what they call compliance - sharing private information with a known parasite to "resolve the problem" for those few that complained.

It's horsehockey what we have to contend with to get a fair and ethical chance to compete! Notwithstanding I can tell you, and all, for a FACT that I for one will not back down from the fight and I damn well know many affiliates and merchants won't either, we can only grow and get bigger, for our cause is just and we will, because they are only getting greedier!

Viva la revolucion!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Good for you all!!!

Andy... Don't get me wrong. In NO WAY do we support parasiteware. Granted, we were a bit naive about the whole thing before ABestWeb came along... but now that we know better and we have absolutely no intention of getting back onto that evil train bound for hell...

Happy... I like the idea of adjusting the privacy policy to reflect our stand against parasite-ware, I'll forward that on to my content editor.

I think you're right, we have to continue to fight the good fight. I guess I'm just a little dissappointed that we haven't won more ground yet, that's all.

Just a little bit of a vent, but I'm better now.

Paul

Rugman.com - Merchant Through CJ

Direct Link

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread