Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Email from CJ - Network Quality Announcement
    The ability for advertisers, publishers and Commission Junction to understand each others' activity is an important aspect of the CJ Marketplace. We openly display information within the CJ Account Manager™ - EPC, Network Earnings Ratings and program descriptions - so that you can make informed decisions about which affiliations and traffic-driving methods are best suited to your program.

In order to sustain this open marketplace of information, Commission Junction will no longer allow special programs engaged in the purchase of media from ad services that download and install software on an end-user's computer. For special programs currently engaged in such practices, Commission Junction requests that you immediately discontinue such practices. We will continue to monitor such programs to insure that special descriptions are properly updated.

As described in the Commission Junction Publisher Service Agreement (PSA), publishers who distribute ads using third-party services and/or place links on Web sites, not owned or operated by the publisher, must be disclosed as a special program. Special programs require both Commission Junction and advertiser approval, and Commission Junction reserves the right to reject a special program at any time.

Thank you for your cooperation with this policy. We believe it facilitates the trust and openness that you have come to expect from Commission Junction. If you have any questions in regards to special programs or whether or not your partnership with a specific ad service is allowed under this policy, please contact client services by using the "Ask a Question" feature in your CJ Account Manager.

Regards,

Terance Kinsky
    Director Network Quality
    Commission Junction, a ValueClick company
    --------------------------------

My interpretation, it only stops affiliates from buying ads from software like 180Solutions. It does not stop those that own the software like eBates.

Cool
    still, they have to warn before stomping.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Good news is ALWAYS welcome and appreciated. Thanks CJ.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    gluckstanze

Now I wanna see Google do it.

Well, it is good but as you said they have to get rid of the programs that own the software, too.

But, without the CJ affiliates buying the ads, maybe they will go under, one would hope.

Guess, the writing is on the wall. If they don't get out of this shameful part of the business, the law will soon make them and that will be very expensive. Too bad that the turds had to wait until they had milked it for all they dared at the expense of more honest and honorable people first.
    Last edited by SSanf; June 1st, 2005 at 11:26 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Internet Cowboy
    I really don't see the difference in allowing affiliates to buy dirty traffic from Metrics Direct and allowing eBates, iGive and others to do what they do.
    It seems like they are selectively trying to get 180 completely out of their network when there are others in it that are just as bad, and they actually call and e-mail merchants recommending and pushing the others.
    Maybe they know something about Elliot Spitzer's plans and don't want to be caught with dirty hands, but if that were the case they would not keep screensavers.com as a merchant.
    Go Figure

Officially: Thank You CJ, for taking this step.
    Last edited by UncleScooter; June 1st, 2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank you bullroar!! You don't thank someone for doing the right thing only when they are going to get a big fat kick in the butt if they don't.

Instead, thank SAS and the honest indies for being honest and trustworthy and giving us an alternative when they might have done what CJ did and lined their pockets at your expense.

Doing right when you have no other choice does not deserve thanks!
    In order to sustain this open marketplace of information
    Yeah, right! Wonder who came up with THAT spin!
    We believe it facilitates the trust and openness that you have come to expect from Commission Junction.
    These guys crack me up! What a comedy act!
    Last edited by SSanf; June 1st, 2005 at 11:40 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

"publishers who distribute ads using third-party services and/or place links on Web sites, not owned or operated by the publisher"

Does this mean you have to stop or get approval to run ads on Google/Overture?

We believe it facilitates the trust and openness that you have come to expect from Commission Junction.
    This really must be a sick joke They get rid of one or two players and they think we should bow down or sing their praises or even worse believe them.

I seem to remember not too long ago I was virtually threatened with being banned from the CJ forums (not by Haiko I must add) because I spoke my mind about this matter of trust etc. This is not a way a real honest company should run it programs. It should have got to the reasons why I and many others think they are a bunch of liars and spin/con merchants and solved them giving me and others no reasons at all to doubt their honesty.

I will say it once again, I do not believe a word that CJ or anyone employed CJ says regarding the parasite situation until they get rid of ALL the parasites en-block.
    There are still far too many of them using the CJ affiliate program to steal and divert our commissions from us.
    There are still some there that are openly going against the COC under the guise of having glitches in their programs.
    There are still many that despite giving us and CJ assurances that certain methods will not be used again are found to be using them again.

CJ needs to get rid of them all, there is not a parasite on this planet that can live without its dependant (our websites), this is why they are called what they are.

Once a parasite always a parasite.
    Once a thief always a thief.

[edited to add] I do praise CJ for getting rid of the few they have but there is a hell of a lot more they need to remove before I would vouch for their honesty.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    publishers who distribute ads using third-party services and/or place links on Web sites, not owned or operated by the publisher
    I missed that. I HOPE they mean... without my permission.

When I check my Invalid Links generating traffic report... welll... people take the strangest things from my sites for their own - including my links!!

ABW Ambassador
    my hats off to cj.

i agree though that they have to inquire first before stomping.

for example, if you choose the whois info as the criteria for determining site ownership. one can "privatize" their registration, while another can hire somebody else to register the name for them. and of course, some site contents are outsourced to other sites, and at first glance may not look connected to your website.

Ok I must have for gotten my brain, could someone put this in simple english and not Lawyer speak please.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    I continually feel that I'm watching the frog who keeps jumping halfway to the finish line. He's never going to get to the finish line and neither will CJ, because they just refuse to do what is the moral and right thing to do.

CJ, stop feeding us BS and do what's right. Either you think it's OK to have certain publishers steal the commissions due other publishers or it isn't. You guys sound like you're running for political office, trying to please everyone while pleasing no one.

Shame on you CJ for continually taking the stance that the dollar is mightier than doing what's right.

Thumbs up
    "Commission Junction will no longer allow special programs engaged in the purchase of media from ad services that download and install software on an end-user's computer."

Excellent news! Commission Junction ls paving the way for affiliates and helping merchants understand this problem. I saw this letter today in my email and it was a very welcome announcement!

Excellent Job CJ!

Quote Originally Posted by apex-auctions
    Ok I must have for gotten my brain, could someone put this in simple english and not Lawyer speak please.

Thanks
    Simple english version would be helpful to me too.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Simple english version would be helpful to me too.
    If CJ find you using a software (that you don't own) to market CJ Merchants they will ask you to stop, if you don't stop you'll be removed from the network.

If you own the software then you can carry on.

This is targeting affiliates who piggy back on systems like the nCase software via a CPC keyword / domain / trade mark targeting system to target other peoples and merchants web properties to create / overwrite tracking and therefore creating fraudulent / stolen commissions whilst adding nothing at all to the purchase cycle.

... if they can catch them.....

.....based on what I see in the click stream information made available to merchants there is no way to identify them, unless CJ has more click stream data than they are making available to merchants? But why would they not make it all available?

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Could anybod give some examples of software programs plus examples of what cj mean by ' publishers who distribute ads using third-party services and/or place links on Web sites, not owned or operated by the publisher, must be disclosed as a special program ' does this include google, overture, bulk traffic etc??
    Cheers
    Add-Budd

Maybe we can get Todd to give us a 7th grade English version of this. The language is a bit confusing and vague. It has that "you know who you are" feel to it and I think we're all saying, "I think I know who they are, but let's make sure."
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

If they know who they are then I'd certainly like to know who they are so I could remove them from my web site without waiting for CJ. I all ready removed Screensavers.com, thanks to you guys.

Internet Cowboy
    This is clearly CJ trying to keep publishers from using Metrics Direct and other parasites who sell space on their app.
    I'd bet what CJ has not considered is Google's partnership with Ask Jeeves and the fact that 180 is now popping to show Adsense ads. Technically, this makes anyone who uses a Google content campaign in violation of this policy. Certainly CJ did not mean to do this.
    No more third party BHO ads, but if you have your own you can trick and steal your way to millions in commission every month and they will love you for it because they make money too.
    Same old CJ communication style. Self-serving, ambiguous and incomplete.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I understand the reasoning behind this announcement and applaud this move to cut the umbilical cord between rogue BHO's and their pack of sleezy affiliates riding their theftware train. Does this also apply to those running their CJ coded links and Banners on forced cookie setting exit exchanges, portal sites or CPM networks like Doubleclick and 24/7 media.

Seems like the real merchant victims of the BHO's and forced click affiliates are pressuring the networks for policy changes as they learn the meaning of "doubledipping". Often it's the same merchants who were first to jump on the BHO bandwagon to whack/kidnap/harrass their competitor's shoppers at the point of sale. Now we know CJ's search marketing division is getting flack from Overture and Google to police their affiliate tricksters popping BHO triggered pages with PPCSE Ads on top of nmetwork links. It will be fun to see how CJ/ValueClick plans on muzzling this activity on the weazels using FindWhat, AH-HA, Knoodle and Ask Jeeves linked into a ton of rogue BHOs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I didn't get that email.

I did however get one of those mass recruitment emails through CJ from Screensavers.com the other day.

Internet Cowboy
    You can read it from the CJ ac**** mgr too.

Correct me if I am wrong, what I am getting from this email is that you can not purchase ad time from a service( I will use Google as an example). Then having that link directly install the tracking cookie or other software. But you can buy ad time for your website that has the normal links on it but no forced clicking. Is this what they are implying in plain old English ?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm confused as hell. I thought I understood that email but apparently I had it all wrong since screensavers.com aka Comet Systems is still a merchant with CJ.

What exactly is CJ trying to tell us, or was that email simply smoke and mirrors to make it appear as if they were moving away from the parasite enabling game?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast