Simple Host
    I wanted to find a good hosting web for my web can i know if simple host is good?

thanks

I actually checked out simplehost and decided to look elsewhere, not that I found anything particularily negative about them, but rather because I am leery about hosting with anyone who offers unlimited space for a low price.

If you search around ABW, you will find some good recommendations for hosts, httpme [dot] com comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    I actually checked out simplehost and decided to look elsewhere, not that I found anything particularily negative about them, but rather because I am leery about hosting with anyone who offers unlimited space for a low price.
    Interesting. I promote SimpleHost, although I don't host with them, and the unlimited space issue has always amused me. Storage is just so incredibly cheap nowadays that I find the hosts that offer 2GB or something to be the ridiculous ones. With 200GB drives going for $80 a pop, that a whopping 40 cents per gig. And it is a one time cost (yes, I am ignoring the amount of electricity to spin the drive). So the 2GB hosts are putting up less than a dollar per user in terms of storage. Spread that over a year and it is 8 cents per month. And they charge 8 bucks per month. Storage is simply not a real factor in terms of cost for hosts.

Okay, now how much can you upload? My DSL line gives me 384k up. Realistically, if I get 350k, I am thrilled. So that is 60MB per minute. About 4GB per hour if I go all out. How much data do people really have?? I mean, even if I had a terabyte of digital pictures, music, etc. in my basement (not yet, but working on it), it would take me ten days to upload it all. For what? So I can parcel it out in 50GB/month chunks? I can't use it as a backup solution... it would take me almost two years to recover my data.

More sanely, if I am just building web sites, how big can they really get? If it were Lycos (where I used to work), it might be a lot, but most of it was not the html, code, graphics, etc. Most of it was the big search index. I built and ran a site for my sister-in-law's jewelry design business. Lots and lots of big pictures. Long descriptions in a database. Updated at least weekly with new pieces. And it never even made it to 100MB.

Given that their acceptable use policy allows them to boot anyone who passes 10% of the system resources, I think allowing users as much space as they need as long as they behave is a great policy.

Just my $0.02.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

thanks for the reply! can i also know more about scohost?

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread