I am just curious about sales made from indonesia are they usually charged back. I have made quite a few sales in the last few days from people who live there. Am I just being paranoid?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    As I recall, that's the current credit card fraud capitol of the world...

Check it once, twice, three times and then check it again, if you're on the merchant side! The chargeback may have a significant delay on it, too--don't be too hasty to ship!

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Last May we got hit with a string of Indonesian frauds. They were trying 10 or more numbers a day through our site to see if the numbers were valid. Fortunately, most were not accepted by our processor, but some did get through. :mad:
    These people were not the most intelligent theives. They would use the same fake email address for each order that day, so it was easy to spot. Also, the phone numbers they entered were also fake.
    For a while what we did was that if the email address did not match the persons name (eg: John Smith ordering with email jsmith@anything.com) we would phone the customer to confirm the order. After awhile they moved on to greener pastures, but it was a pain in the butt for about a month and we still ended up with about 10 chargebacks at the end of it all.
    Our motto: If it looks suspicious, it most likely is.

Hi WorkerBee,

Just wondering whether you get fraudsters from Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong as well?

I've always thought it a myth or an excuse merchants used to "reverse" genuine sales, that they get a lot of cc fraud from countries from the Balkans and SEA (where I'm from [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] ).

Oh well, maybe not.

Cheers,
    TianTian

TianTian;

The only ones we could confirm was Indonesia. Since they kept using variations of the same fake email addy, we knew it was coming from one source. (how about this one...LOL@yahoo.com? :rolleyes: )
    The way we knew it was Indonesia was because when they first started they actually gave us an name and address in Indonesia to ship to. After that, they were just using our site to test if the credit cards were valid by trying to buy a small item. We assume that if they found a good one they then went on to another site to buy something easier to convert to cash like electronics (crafts don't sell well on the black market [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

last week on our ecomm. site we got about 10 fraud orders from Indonesia.
    I read somewhere that there are boiler rooms
    operating there, trying to buy using scads of stolen credit card #'s obtained from hacking
    Fretland...guitars and more

Many thanks, WorkerBee.

I feel so much better now, since I'm not from Indonesia. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    TianTian

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread