That Elusive $1000.00
    Just curious to find out when you all started, how long did it take you to hit that magical $1000 a month, and how much work did you put in daily on your site to get there?

Hey Felina -

I was lucky, I did it in 6 months. I don't know what the average is, but that was my time frame. As for the work load, I'd estimate that I've put 40 hours a week every week since day one into the site. It's a lot of work..... Many sleepless nights, but it's starting to pay off. I hope soon I can cut back on my day job and work on AM during the daylight!

Good luck!

Matt

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    HAHA! Why is it that we all seem to get most of our work done in the night? Funny how that always happens.

I read the title of the thread and thought another affiliate had hit "That Elusive $1000.00" per day mark. Strangely, it's nice to see a more conservative goal.

Don't worry, you can hit the mark. Just keep things moving in the right direction.

As for when, it really depends on the industry, time, quality of effort, luck and a lot of other factors, but the window is pretty much open any time after 90 days. You can get there sooner, with luck, but 90 days seems like a good, conservative best case scenario.

Good luck and have fun!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

About 7 years here. I came close back in 1997 with 24/7 Media, but I took a long break to get my degree. I've been back in the game for almost 2 years now. Started out with only Fastclick, then AdSense. 7 months into it I tried affiliate programs and hit 1k the 2nd month in. With my existing establishment it was no problem, but starting from scratch is much more difficult.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think it was 6-7 months for me, too.

But no 40 hour weeks for me. Much less! Avoiding having to do a lot of w*rk is a core competency

To do it with a new site not much work, probably requires the same thing now as it did then: Advertising. With proper advertising, it doesn't matter one iota whether you've even heard of such a thing as an "algo," just as long as you don't pay so much that you kill your own profits.

Thing is, back in 2000-2001, PPC prices were a lot cheaper. There's still PPC opportunies, but they don't seem to abound like they used to, price-wise...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I think it will take longer these days than it did in the past. It all depends on how soon you can get traffic. Watch out for the sandbox.

ABW Ambassador
    GRRR. Still haven't passed it. It's like I don't want to get there or something.

I'm with you weisinater , But the past 2 months were half way there. It seems though my traffic is on a backslide again though so time to try ppc again.

In my defense I keep having to have long periods away from computer access and thus developing my sites and then having to catch up BUT I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as I have just written a lot of scripts to make maintenance much easier than before.

I know we can do it!!!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Talking
    I still waiting to see who will be the first one to post that they have made that magical $1000 a month for the first time but, without spending a single penny in advertising to make that first $1000 as a net profit.

Sal.

I'm sure it's doable Eathan. Just give me a year or two.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I still waiting to see who will be the first one to post that they have made that magical $1000 a month for the first time but, without spending a single penny in advertising to make that first $1000 as a net profit.

Sal.
    Well - I did it Mr. Sal using only SEO.

I received 4,600 dollars from one merchant alone - not counting my other merchants - in Dec of 2004 although that isn't the first time I've hit $1,000 per month..

I have never spent a penny on ads.

It took me around 9 months - to a year.

No advertising - no money spent on advertising.

On sites that were full of content, hand rolled and still ranking quite well.
    Ebudae

Congratulations Ebudae and BurgerBoy,

I am glad to see that it can be done without spending any money on advertising first.

I have never spent a single penny on ads for affiliate marketing yet, but the first month that I clear 2k, I would probably going to try paid advertising and see the results I get.

In the mean time, I will wait until Google put all my pages back where I had them last year for free.

Pure SEO, PPC, offline branding, online advertising - anything with a solid ROI is worth considering. Track your results well and be sure you're counting profit when you measure your success...

Snib, if it's any inspiration, I've seen affiliates doing 5 and 6 figures a week! Unfortunately, I'm not one of them... Yet...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    There is a learning curve in this biz, that correlates directly with the "money curve"

When the time comes that you're making $1000 a month, you'll figure out what you did differently:

Was it a better merchant?

Did you discover SEO?

Did you make a popular site?

Of the zillions of products, did you pick the "right one" to promote?

Soon as you figure out what you did "right", you expand on it and apply the lessons to your other sites...

and before you know it... $1000 a month is petty cash

But there's no shortcut.

It's like buying a guitar. You're not gonna be a rock star in a week.

You have to learn all the basics...

You have to work on it everty day...

and once you turn "pro", you have to keep one step ahead of the people trying to take your place

I hit it within 3 months, without any advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    There is a learning curve in this biz, that correlates directly with the "money curve"
    So very true!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by hellojello134
    HAHA! Why is it that we all seem to get most of our work done in the night? Funny how that always happens.
    because that's the time when we start to daydream, to get bored and get motivated, to be depressed and to find ways to be better.

ever wonder why the get-rich ads on tv are plenty in the early morning?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    My Jaded History
    Started out - made nothing the first 5 months or so. Then found a program (by accident) that put me over the top ($1000/mo). Since that time, my initial money maker has gone really sour for me and I keep managing to find new stuff just as my old stuff goes sour. Things seem to be stablizing out a bit now however (perhaps?).

It has been kind of like a treadmill until last fall. I had a whole bunch of pages just ready to hatch and get me over the 2K or 3K per month mark. Within a few days of all of this happening, the big google update occured .

Continued to scramble and recovered enough to not lose too much ground, but at this point I am about where I was a year ago. Back on the treadmill! I get a lot less worried now about stuff that happens (which is good) and have more content sites that related to my hobbies (which is also good).

I continue to pursue hair-brained schemes, almost on a daily basis. I laugh to myself when I look back at some of them!

If this were not fun, I wouldn't do it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

One of the problems is that when you start seasonality can make a huge difference. It is much easier to make $1000 a month in december than in June for most areas, although if you are into selling suntan lotion this may be different ;-)

Put all your figures into Excel and plot 12 month rolling averages, and year on year growth for each month, then you can get a better picture.

Far better to aim for a steady growth rate than a particular monetary target, as it is easier to monitor.

I was growing a 5% a month (seasonally adjusted based on 12 month rolling averages) for around 3 years but then got hit by the Google 2005 February update and have gone a bit sideways since.

So have now started to diversify into sites that hoepfully over time will produce income that is not totally affiliate driven.

Hope that helps

Les

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread