ABW Ambassador
    Is more really better?
    Is there any benefit with putting *more* product up on a site, even a dozen or more or the full merchant item stock with datafeeds?

Do I want visitors browsing a lot of products from a category on my site? Or do I want to display just few representative examples and shove them off to the merchant's site ASAP?

I don't really think there's a good answer on this question. You want to make as much sales as possible, but what's the best method to get many sales is different for everybody. What works for another may not work for you. The best way to find out is to experiment with it.

If they find you by searching for a specific product, you have a good chance to make a sale. Your goal is to get them to the merchants site and set the cookie. You don't need a datafeed full of products to do this. One best selling product can work very well. More products does give you more items in the search engine, maybe a better chance that they find you in the first place. As Matlok said, just try a few different things and see what works best for you.

Experience has proven that abundance or excess of choice is not always a good thing for a customer. I always recommend my affiliates to put up separate sites for thematically similar products. After all, domains costs only 8-9 bucks a year these days. But it makes the shopping experience a whole lot easier when you have similar products grouped under one domain! I am not saying you are to throw them all together into one pot. Make groups/sections/departments within your one-theme store, but divide computers from flowers and pet supplies from baby clothes by different domains.

Geno

Having more products used to be helpful because search engines would pick up those pages and you would get a lot of highly targeted search engine traffic. It's much less effective now.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It really depends on what you're capable of handling. If you can handle more products and datafeeds and keep all the products, stock and prices up to date almost daily while offering some useful comparative and cross sell features, it might be worth a try. But if you can't automatically update this information, you might want to stick with fewer products. Nothing worse than a site full of products that may or may not be in stock and a webmaster that can't humanly update all this information daily. It seems more doesn't mean more traffic when it comes to the search engines. The engines prefer what people prefer and as long as you can give people what they want: (up to date prices, products, reviews, comparisons and opinions) they'll come back in the future. Maybe eventually they'll even link to you from their blogs or in forums. I think this is the ideal outcome of a site done well.

- Scott
    Last edited by Snib; June 3rd, 2005 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane
    More products does give you more items in the search engine, maybe a better chance that they find you in the first place. As Matlok said, just try a few different things and see what works best for you.

I agree with this.

If your site has 100 pages you have 100 chances of one of your pages coming up in a search engine.

If you have data feeds with 20,000 pages on your site with a page for each product you have 20,000 chances of one of your pages coming up in a search result.

If only one of those pages come up in a search and the searcher clicks on it they then have your entire site to look through if you have yours site links where every page in your site can be reached from every page in your site.

Which had you rather have.

100 chances to win the lottery or 20,000 chances to win the lottery?

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    100 chances to win the lottery or 20,000 chances to win the lottery?
    BurgerBoy, search engine ranking is NO lottery. Smart SEO is all that you need to get in the first 10!

webworker, divide your websites by topic, optimize your pages and be the best in EVERY area.

Good luck!

Geno

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy

BurgerBoy, search engine ranking is NO lottery. Smart SEO is all that you need to get in the first 10!

webworker, divide your websites by topic, optimize your pages and be the best in EVERY area.

Good luck!

Geno
    Why not use SEO on 20,000 pages and have 20,000 that can come up in the top 10 for a given search term rather than 100 pages that can come up in the top 10 for a give search term.

I SEO every page and I do make a lot of money on the internet.

I did not make a lot of money when I only had 100 pages with SEO.

The same with running paid SE advertising results.

Do you thing that you would make more money having 100 paid ads coming up on Google adsense every month or would you make more money with 20,000 paid ads coming up on Google adsense every month?

But if you have 100 good pages and 20,000 spammy pages, you'll eventually get a penalty and then none of your pages will show up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    But if you have 100 good pages and 20,000 spammy pages, you'll eventually get a penalty and then none of your pages will show up.

What if you have 20,000 good pages and no spammy pages?

Having more pages, and assuming that they get indexed ok, means that you may find new niches that work for you that you might otherwise not bothered with.

Les

I agree with Burger Boy.

The key is to have as many pages as possible each with unquie content

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    I agree....we have the same idea. Use the datafeeds and SEO and optimize each page.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Why not use SEO on 20,000 pages and have 20,000 that can come up in the top 10 for a given search term rather than 100 pages that can come up in the top 10 for a give search term.
    That is the way to do it! Just make sure you 20k pages are user-friendly... Theoretically, you can even sell all kinds of products "under one roof" (in one big online mall), not purchasing different domain names for different kinds/types of products. Just be sure to make departments of your mall easy-to-navigate-around, and fun to shop.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy

Good luck!

Geno
    Really maybe you could explain to me how to do that?

Kili

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread