Anybody Using SBC DSL Service?
    I'm considering getting the SBC DSL service being advertised for $14.95. I would like to hear comments from anybody else who has it/had it. Thoughts about it?

Also, should I pay for their home networking package or just get the basic modem and buy my own wireless router?

Thanks in advance.

ABW Ambassador
    Their home networking package is just more expensive than buying it from bestbuy, if youhave a clue, don't get it. If you have no idea, then it might be helpful.

I found their service overall slow and spotty. They seemed to repeatedly have DNS issues and would often go down at night for periods.

Their customer service is beyond bad. It was bad when it was based in the USA, it is worse now that it is based in india. I never once talked with anyone who had close to any idea what was going on, just a bunch of poorly written script reading. At one point telling me to delete all my cookies and browser history as a way to fix the problem that my router had no connection to the internet...

Chet

>>>At one point telling me to delete all my cookies and browser history as a way to fix the problem that my router had no connection to the internet...
    <<<

I've been given that reply by low-level support at Verizon DSL during a period of overloaded DNS servers.

Hi - My husband and I have had the SBC service for about a month now. So far, so good. We did the wireless router part ourselves. As for the service, we haven't had any problems and it seems to be just as quick as my computer at work that has all kinds of high-tech stuff attached. I haven't had to use customer service yet, so I don't have any thoughts on that.

Sheri

ABW Ambassador
    Incredibly good where I am, I've been using them for a few years and couldn't be happier. 2 minor short downtimes the entire couple of years, by the time support checked out my system to see if I was hooked up it was back up. It may depend on where you're located, I'm in Southern California.

There were 2 computers on it to start, only one now but it's still on their 2Wire router which there was a very nice rebate on from them.

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    I am currently using Verizon DSL ... but the just installed fiber optics in my nieghborhood ... so we'll be getting that... from what i hear it is Insanely fast ... faster than T1 and only 40 bucks a month ! If you only have dialup i would highly suggest getting broadband of any type regardless of it's performance. The faster your connection is, the more you can get done, and the more you can make. Def. a good investment.

I've had SBC DSL for a couple of years. Got it as part of a package deal. Local phone, unlimited long distance, DSL, and a free modem. The package price deal went away, the speed is lousy, and the customer service drives me crazy. Like "Ok now click start. Now click settings........."

The speed and reliability depend on where you are. I'm in an older neighborhood with old lines and ancient switching gear. I'v neer seen the download speed burst above 800Kbps. Usually less than 500Kbps. The sales department calls me and tries to convert me to some other plan and tells me all the plans offer 1.5Mbps. When I complain about speed they argue with me and tell me I don't know how to measure the speed.

I'm switching to cable on the next billing cycle.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All depends on your DSL service area and the SBC equipment in place. If they require you use that older "EnterNet" package to get to a supposedly always on connection ...FORGET IT. For only 14.95 a month it's a real bargain over dial-up alternatives. Be sure to install the free ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com ) firewall before connecting any type broadband connection to your system or your zapped by the Adwhores and messanger spammers inside 2 minutes. Always clean the system of spyware/adware before installing broadband.

If you don't use or need the modem remove it physically from the system and then remove the dialup S/W and Windows PCP/IP winsock interfaces and the drive-by XXXdialer programs and backdoor trojan viruses will screw with your SBC winsock settings. The idiots in support below the first 2 levels are lost on curing that problem.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by hellojello134
    I am currently using Verizon DSL ... but the just installed fiber optics in my nieghborhood ... so we'll be getting that... from what i hear it is Insanely fast ... faster than T1 and only 40 bucks a month ! If you only have dialup i would highly suggest getting broadband of any type regardless of it's performance. The faster your connection is, the more you can get done, and the more you can make. Def. a good investment.
    my Verizon DSL connection is 180K. they may offer you a 29.95/mo deal later with a one year commit.

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    180 k? I didn't even know they had plans that low. I thought the lowest speed they offer now is 1.5 megs...of course it won't be that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hellojello134
    180 k? I didn't even know they had plans that low. I thought the lowest speed they offer now is 1.5 megs...of course it won't be that fast.
    180K is the average download I see when I'm upgrading my FreeBSD server. The plan itself is supposed to be the equiv of a T1.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread