How much Bandwith do I need?
    I think i would be best making small niche sites, how much bandwith and disk space should a 10-30 page site need? The goal for the site is to make ten dollars a day, using affiliate marketing and Adsense.

I'd get about 50-75 GB of Transfer to begin with, anks106. Some places you can get 75 GB of bandwidth (with 5 MB of webspace) for $4.95 or less... PM me if you need directions.

ALSO: Don't aim at making just $10/day. Dream BIG!!

Good luck!

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    I'd get about 50-75 GB of Transfer to begin with, anks106. Some places you can get 75 GB of bandwidth (with 5 MB of webspace) for $4.95 or less... PM me if you need directions.
    are you sure you mean 50-75GB and not 5-7.5GB? My base plan is 2GB and HTTPMe charges $75/month for 60GB

Bandwidth really shouldn't be an issue. If you have 1000 pages views a day at 50KB per page, that's 50MB per day or 1.5GB/month. Most hosts allow considerably more bandwidth than this, and few websites get this much traffic.

If/When you get to the point where you're getting more traffic than your host allows, you should be able to easily afford a dedicated server. Most dedicated server plans allow 1000GB or more in transfers.

If/When you outgrow a dedicated server, you should be doing well enough to have your IT staff research a distributed solution.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ
    are you sure you mean 50-75GB and not 5-7.5GB? My base plan is 2GB and HTTPMe charges $75/month for 60GB

They must offer a lot of features or something that I don't understand, because that's pretty pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by bpal
    They must offer a lot of features or something that I don't understand, because that's pretty pricey.
    I've never used them, but I understand some users here do, I guess you get what you pay for

For a 10 to 30 page site, if it's not heavily laden with graphics or unusually lengthy text and coding, 1 GB of bandwidth should be quite enough to handle a few hundred visitors a day. You should be able to find a hosting plan in the range of $5 to $7 per month. And if your bandwidth allowance starts to run out before the end of the month, it's always easy to upgrade for an extra $2 or $3.

"I'd get about 50-75 GB of Transfer to begin with"

Well, if you have 100,000 or more visitors a day to start with, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ
    Yes, I am sure, TJ. It is 75 GB of bandwidth.

Geno

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    "I'd get about 50-75 GB of Transfer to begin with"

Well, if you have 100,000 or more visitors a day to start with, yep.
    Never set your goal at earning just "a little bit" every day or drawing just 100-1000 visitors to your site every day... DREAM BIG! And, after all, if you can get something as good as I've described for under 5 bucks, why not go for it but limit yourself by 5-7.5 GB of bandwidth?!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend...

Geno

Mindful, Geno, of the fact that many folks who are just starting out here wound up in this position because they NEED to make more money. In many cases a $5 or $10 per month bill is all it takes to prevent them from getting started in the first place. For some, even the $8.95 domain name purchase is a big leap. "Dream Big" is a good policy, but big bills may not manageable until the Big Dreams have become manifest.

...In many cases a $5 or $10 per month bill is all it takes to prevent them from getting started in the first place. For some, even the $8.95 domain name purchase is a big leap. "Dream Big" is a good policy, but big bills may not manageable until the Big Dreams have become manifest.
    Chocolate Chicken, I do agree; and I am not here to promote anyone's hosting. Yet, here you seem to contadict your own earlier statement that said namely this:

For a 10 to 30 page site, if it's not heavily laden with graphics or unusually lengthy text and coding, 1 GB of bandwidth should be quite enough to handle a few hundred visitors a day. You should be able to find a hosting plan in the range of $5 to $7 per month. And if your bandwidth allowance starts to run out before the end of the month, it's always easy to upgrade for an extra $2 or $3.
    So do you think that $5/month is a lot (even for a beginner) or do you not?

Geno

It certainly doesn't seem like a lot to me. Show me any offline business you can get into for less than that. Even most "work at home" scams require an up front payment of $30 or more.

I think more people get into web sites and Internet marketing because they're passionate about a particular subject (with money being an afterthought), rather than getting into it just for the money. I could be wrong, though. Sounds like a good Poll.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It certainly doesn't seem like a lot to me...

To me - neither...

BTW, did you get my e-mail, Michael?

Geno
    Last edited by MichaelColey; June 4th, 2005 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread