Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Yahoo's new MindSet feature
    We'll all seen people searching in these two identified "mindsets":
    "I'm researching (looking for information)"
    "I'm shopping (looking to buy)"

We've seen people frustrated with search engine results that don't make a distinction between the two "mindsets".

Yahoo wants to attract users by giving them what they want - match results to their "mindset". So they've come up with a new tool - allows the search engine user to adjust a slider between researching and shopping. Sites / pages are scored as to whether they are more information oriented, or lean towards being commercial sites.

Check it out:
    What: http://www.ysearchblog.com/archives/000114.html
    Try it: http://mindset.research.yahoo.com/

~

(I searched for for this here in posts at ABestWeb - I didn't find it - so sorry in advance if I'm repeating this as news - it was released May 27th, 2005.)

~

You DEFINITELY should give it a try - you'll be able to see whether Yahoo considers your site informational or commercial - there's a little indicator in the search results...

~

We debate the "is content king" argument here frequently... this new angle means consumers may soon have tools they can use to separate information sites from shopping sites....

If your "mindset" as an affiliate is to build heaps of informative content to be a strong draw to visitors who then follow on with a buy (this is what I do), what impact may Yahoo's new product have on us?

Now this technology won't completely separate information from buying, but it could widen the difference between them. I wonder if Yahoo worries about removing the rewards of creating and assembling good information - who will do this for free?

~

There's lots more change coming for affiliates in the next few years! We've proven we're tough and that we can innovate. I'm not losing any sleep over this issue either - but it is very interesting as you play with the results that "MindSet" returns...
    Last edited by Donuts; June 3rd, 2005 at 05:34 PM.

Right now, it looks to just be reordering the top 100 results for any search. Takes the top 100 - reshuffles them depending on where the searcher sets the slider. It also retains, in parens, the original sort order so you can see how they've been numerically re-ordered based on your mindset.

lurk
    Hmm.... I think I like google/froogle much better still.

Interesting concept.

I tried blue widgets and one of my sites suddenly popped up to the top with the slider on shopping but was much lower with the slider in the middle.

Presumably it works by finding words like buy and order etc.

Les

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    I love it! I said years ago, that SEs should show sales sites to those looking to buy.
    And, who hasn't searched for something only to find what they're looking for buried under the other kind of sites (other = whatever kind you aren't looking for at the time)?

What's not to love? It essentially makes it so sites on the other side of the divide are no longer your competitors in the SERPs.
    Now all they need to do is add a line of code to favor AFFILIATE sites for all things, and we'll be set

I hope it takes off and bites Google right in the butt.

Only thing I did notice that I don't like was more of a matter of semantics: the "score" of the most commercial pages (according to their FAQ) is -2, while the informational ones get +2. How anyone working for a commercial behemoth can justify rating a commercial page as negative anything, I don't know. Doublethink, I guess...

I wonder if Yahoo worries about removing the rewards of creating and assembling good information - who will do this for free?
    I don't think making c*ntent will be any more "free" than it is now. If someone was truly looking to buy in the first place, they wouldn't have stayed on a content site anyway. And with Mindset, if someone is trying to find content, they can just say so and there it is.

Plus, on my test, when I told it "researching," it pulled up some sites that would normally be buried in the 80s in the unsorted listings! I'd say that's very good news for those normally-invisible c*ntent sites.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Plus, on my test, when I told it "researching," it pulled up some sites that would normally be buried in the 80s in the unsorted listings! I'd say that's very good news for those normally-invisible c*ntent sites.
    Very true and a super excellent point! Their beta may be saving resources by just rearranging the top 100, but anyway they sice it - it means battling for "top spot" is a larger target - with room for more than one site...

When I slide it over to the sales side I see those big brand sites. Amazon, Walmart, LNT gotta do some research to find the affiliate sites.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread