Adsense on Merchant Destination Pages
    What do you guys think of this?

I just signed up with a NEW merchant, and have sent them considerable traffic to date. I just discovered that they have placed an Adsense tower on their destination page.

To my way of thinking, they are potentially redirecting a good chunk of my traffic to Adsense SOLELY FOR THEIR BENEFIT. I am at a loss to understand why any merchant would do this.

If they do not correct this soon, I will be terminating them.
    Apollo

Internet Cowboy
    Any merchant who maintains an affiliate program and puts links such as AdSense on their site that are potential "leaks" is not worthy of your traffic. I have found a few of these myself and have pulled all links immediately without notifying the merchant becuase this shows that they are either clueless or intentionally trying to gain from your traffic without compensating you. Either way is a bad scenario.

I agree with Uncle Scooter. Dump these merchants without a word. Whether they're clueless or not, it's up to them to figure out why their affiliates are abandoning them.

If you're in business, what you don't know will hurt you. We bother to educate ourselves, let them bother.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I am at a loss to understand why any merchant would do this.
    If the merchant sells something, their profit should be such that it would far outweigh AdSense earnings. So, I figure, their products must not convert worth *&%$% ! Either that or they've left so little profit margin for themselves, that even some click fees can beat it. If it's the latter, they'll be closing up shop soon anyway, since they would finally figure that there was no point in even having stuff to sell... Whatever is behind their reasoning, I'm sure they're figuring they can make more with AdSense than they can by selling their own stuff!

It's a huge sign of lack of confidence on their part, at the very least. The merchant is *supposed to* be the final destination for whatever they're selling! If even the merchant can't bring himself to say the equivalent of, "Buy it HERE and nowhere else"--that's a big problem. If I was a customer I'd get off that site quick. After all, if the merchant thinks the stuff sucks--it definitely does.

And none of this is even getting into the obvious--that it's a blatant, HUGE traffic leak that will suck up your clicks like a vacuum and give you nothing in return.

I'd definitely dump them. "Like a hot potato" isn't fast enough.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You guys are absolutely right. (I just terminated them, and switched them out with another merchant.)
    Apollo

I always prefer to let the merchant know what they're doing wrong first. Many just haven't thought it through and are appreciative of the feedback. Like Chris says (and I'm paraphrasing)... Educate first. Punish later.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I sent them a note on why I was terminating them. If they rehabilitate themselves, I will consider putting them back up.
    Apollo

I did post a note to a vendor here, who listed their business at ABW. They had an affiliate link (for them!) on every page. The links came down.

Yes, I was in a pretty lousy mood, but I do agree, it's better to send an e-mail.

Cool
    it is possible (look at buy.com) to show a different landing page when a visitor arrives from an affiliate link. the merchant should be capable of setting this up, otherwise they are dumpworthy. but you have to communicate first.

ABW Ambassador
    I've been looking around for merchants in a particular niche and found one at CJ that looks as though their entire site is to generate Adsense income - NOT to sell product at all.

In fact, there is a second site - an affiliate site that's clearly an SEO site with great rankings - that has other merchants listed, could be just for show, but clearly looks like it belongs to the same folks as the so-called "merchant" site and is just another channel to send traffic their way.

So if affiliates sign up with them, their clicks will be going right down the toilet. You cant hardly *find* where to buy anything on that site, it's an Adsense info site and nothing more, from all appearances.

So if affiliates sign up with them, their clicks will be going right down the toilet.
    It's amazing to me that a merchant could be so clueless and/or think that affiliates are so stupid.

You have to be viligant even after you're signed up. Just caught a new link (and leak) on someone that was pristine before. Don't have the time to pull their links yet, but will soon.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread