Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    quote:
    Commission Junction has a system in place to monitor advertiser tracking to verify that it is functioning. If you know of any advertiser that does not appear to be tracking transactions, please notify Customer Service so we can look into the complaint.

I would like to know what "system" that is ... because this is certainly news to me!

Haiko

I think the answer to your question is in your post Haiko...

"If you know of any advertiser that does not appear to be tracking transactions, please notify Customer Service so we can look into the complaint."

I doubt they do much of anything. Look at the calling card incident.

ABW Ambassador
    I sgree with Core - the system is as follows: when an affiliate notices tracking is off then CJ looks into it and deactivates them if it is not fixed within three months.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Here's the normal senerio. New Merchant gets sales tracking HTML code to place on their final checkout page ( usually the customer receipt page after successful order completion). This is done by the merchant who has sole access to his hosting server. CJ techs then perform a test on a text and banner link for this merchant to verify the reporting tag works. They then allow the site to go live on the network and let merchant post more creatives -product links and pre-sell text.

New merchants have 3 months to establish a EPC based upon the 1 minute install of their sales reporting tag. During this 3 months CJ doesn't monitor the reporting and only responds to complaints from affiliates on tracking orders if many complain. New merchants or reactivated merchants get this FREE ride period. Con artist scamming merchants can turn off this sales reporting tag at will. Those milking their EPC use chargeback/reversals to limit payouts or they can select peak buying periods ( Holidays) to remove reporting tag.

Haiko talked about a secret shopper service to monitor and report honest merchant programs vs. the scammers. This is the only way to force reporting compliance...and alert publishers and networks of merchant abusers. Those like TigerDirect, who uncovered non-reporting of sales for months through complaints, do rectify the errors and honestly monitor their affiliate sales activity to make sure they report daily sales. Others treat serious affiliate sales activity as having circumvented their diversion tactics and install more 800#'s, lower cookies and drop commission rates.

Mike, Haiko, et al,

CJ does have a way to monitor advertiser tracking compliance. There is a daily report that tells us the advertisers that may not be tracking. There is a group dedicated to investigating and contacting advertisers that are having tracking problems and get them back into compliance as quickly as possible. In addition to this, if a publisher reports that an advertiser is not in compliance, it is investigated and appropriate actions are taken to bring them back into compliance.

Once an advertiser is found to be out compliance, CJ contacts the appropriate person(s) to have the tracking re-enabled. This is the weak link in the process. It can sometimes take a day or two to contact the appropriate person and get the tracking back up.

Below is an excerpt from the advertiser service agreement regarding tracking code integrity:

<>

I talked with the team downstairs that monitors and enforces advertiser compliance and was told that they are making an extra effort in Q1 to ensure that any advertisers found to be out of compliance are either brought back into compliance quickly or deactivated until they are able to comply. I know that in the past there have been a few instances where an advertiser was out of compliance for an extended period of time. Moving forward, this is not going to be tolerated and any advertiser found to be out of compliance will need to comply of they will be terminated.

In the past, less than 1% of advertisers were ever out of compliance for any period of time. I know it is frustrating to work for an advertiser only to find out they are not tracking. CJ is committed to monitoring and enforcing advertiser tracking compliance. Remember, if an advertiser is not tracking neither the publisher nor CJ are getting paid.

If you feel that an advertiser is not tracking correctly, please send an email to publishersupport@cj.com and put “tracking problem with Advertiser_Name” in the subject line. You will also need to include the page URL(s) where your link(s) is/are located so we can determine that the links are working correctly and that the problem is on the advertiser’s end. Or you can call publisher support at 1-800-761-1072 or (805) 560-0777 and provide the same details over the phone.

Regards,

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

Simple question. Does CJ have in place a system that makes sure "SALES", not just hits or impressions, are properly tracked and credited by a merchant? Yes or No?

Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Todd,

Telocity (4 months)
    IDT (Global-Call.net) (3 months)
    SnapNames (still finding out!)

Answer?

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    I am kind of glad to see this type of response from Todd.

This could possibly be indicating a big change in direction from wild wild west CJ where merchants get away with anything.

While it just barely scratched the surface of all the tracking questions that have been posed (and were then brushed off with the old canned CJ reply), maybe we are going to see some positive changes in 2002.

hoping we get a trusted third party this year...

good post todd

maybe in Q2 cj will tackle the reversals issue

Anybody seen this?

Commission Junction Appoints President

Co-founder and CEO Lex Sisney Named Chairman of the Board
    SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Jan. 07, 2002 - Commission Junction (www.cj.com), the largest pay-for-performance advertising network, today announced the appointment of Jeffrey A. Pullen as president, responsible for overall management of the company, and his election to the company's board of directors. CEO Lex Sisney will assume the role of chairman of the board. This announcement follows the successful rollout of Commission Junction's open marketplace in July 2001, establishing a visible benchmark of the quality and effectiveness of every ad in the network at converting visitors into revenue, and the company's achievement of positive operating cash flow (EBITDA) in the fourth quarter of 2001.

Pullen, 46, will oversee all aspects of day-to-day operations, focusing on developing and implementing the key strategies and initiatives necessary to continue the company's growth and success as a leading provider of tools and services for the online advertising industry. He will drive the growth of the company and be central to the execution of its business model.

Pullen's career has included senior executive positions in operations and finance at a variety of companies including, ChemConnect, Inc., an Internet-based marketplace that provides auction and exchange services to the chemical industry; IMX Exchange, Inc., an Internet exchange serving the wholesale mortgage industry, and Baker Petrolite Corporation, a specialty chemical company with approximately $770 million in annual revenue. Prior to that he was a partner in the Financial Advisory Services practice of Coopers & Lybrand, now part of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

"Commission Junction has emerged as a clear leader in its space. At a time when many Internet companies are struggling or disappearing, Commission Junction's significant progress and positive EBITDA are incredible achievements," said Rich Mueller, outgoing board chairman who will retain a seat on the board as a director. "Lex has been the driving force behind Commission Junction's impressive growth. It's a logical step for him to move from managing the company full-time, to focusing his industry expertise on its future. The board has tremendous confidence in Jeff 's leadership and operational expertise, resulting in our decision to place in him this key role."

"I am extremely excited about the opportunity to lead an organization with such a bright future," said Pullen. "We have clear vision, a strong balance sheet, a great team, and a broad range of loyal and satisfied customers. I'm looking forward to building on this foundation and ensuring the company's continued success."

"Since joining Commission Junction last year, Jeff has demonstrated tremendous insight regarding the many facets of our business. His leadership and 25 years of experience consulting with and managing growing companies will be instrumental in expanding and advancing Commission Junction's position in the marketplace," said Sisney. "Having achieved positive operating cash flow in the fourth quarter, I am looking forward to working with Jeff as he manages this rapidly growing company."

As chairman of the board, Sisney will focus his industry background and knowledge on long-term strategic planning, enterprise sales, and business development for the company.

Commision Junction Appoints President

Guess who's gonna get a welcome call

Haiko

Does that mean we will be seeing Jeff in th Q&A section. Haiko, bring him too us. Your the man.

Jeff, a big warm welcome to CJ. Ummm, if ya have a minute can ya hit that switch right behind ya please. Yup, thats the one. Thanks Jeff.

Will do my best!

I am sure that a man with Jeff's business acumen ... will be more than willing to address any concerns his affiliates may have !

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Did you notice in that article that affiliates weren't mentioned at all? Just a lot of "satisfied customers".

Welcome Jeff.

Mike :confused:

ABW Ambassador
    Jeff sounds like a real smart business man (sure gets around a lot doesn't he?).

He was probably just too excited, and forgot to mention how his worldwide team of affiliates is such an important asset.

I am sure he will be regular on ABW.

ABW Ambassador
    I think you guys are way too sensitive -- it would not be at all unusual for soemone at CJ to say "customers" and mean merchants AND affiliates. For the sake and purpose of CJ BOTH groups are customers.

whaa?????????????

lex is no longer topdog at cj? :confused:

Austin,

Inside joke.

"Here comes Austin a-gain, with his liquor and drugs, and sex machine, he's gonna do another striptease, with a LUST FOR LIFE!"

That's like hypnotizin' chickens!

I like Iggy too.

Best regards,

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: ToddCrawford, CJ.com ]

you're worth a million in prizes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

do you like the new york dolls?

and can you tell em to send my whistle?

best regards,

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: austin powers ]

It is very difficult to send a whistle to a man of mystery. Email me directly if you want your whistle.

I am a huge Stooges fan. Also love Birthday Party, Ramones, Bau Haus and believe it or not Lynyrd Skynyrd (I grew up in S.C.).

Todd

Anyone who like Lynyrd Skynyrd can't be all bad.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I am a little disapponted.

I figured the new CEO would do a big webcast pep-talk type thing for his affiliate troops around the world on his first day, talking about how he is going to take on issues like scumware, deadbeat merchants, etc.

I guess he is a slow starter.

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

I am assuming that you missed my post earlier regarding whether or not CJ has a system in place to verify sales, not just hits or impressions.

Mike

Yes, CJ has a system in place to verify that advertisers are tracking correctly.

Todd,

I know we don't always show it, but thanks for being here and answering questions. We really appreciate it!

Core

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast