Wouldn't be nice if all merchants from all affiliate networks work together and agree to drop all parasited web sites all at once (or within a short perod of time)?

To me it seems to be possible.

If that can happen, then those who lure away other's traffic would not be able to make any $$, and those merchants who dropped them would still be as profitable as before since all normal sales have to come from others' sites.

Has any of the merchants ever thought about this? Am I being silly because I missed something? Any thoughts?

Thanks

snakebaby

ABW Ambassador
    Most merchants don't have a clue. They think that some of these handy-dandy shopping accessories are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    My view is that most merchants do know what's going on here and that they put the bottom line ahead of ethical business practices.

Then there are the merchant higher ups that don't know this is going on but their affiliate managers do and their affiliate managers choose to line their own pockets since their compensation is often tied to the success of the affiliate program, regardless of the fact that in the case of parasites, they are paying out huge somes in commission that should not even been commissionable traffic, or commissionable at a lower rate than what they are paying because the traffic is being directed from a lower paid affiliate to a higher paid affiliate.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The major branded merchants themselves would endorse the banning of all "incent" B-aHO traffic. It's just the networks and their insider buddies ...the professional affiliate Mgmt companies, who signup merchants for the Thieves..aren't interested in changing the status quo.

Basically no one here could ever argue with me that the thievery problem, and all law suits would end in one week from the day all networks BANNED any Incent traffic from earning a dime. Just unplug those network autoloading "incent" datafeeds and the problem is eliminated...forever!!

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

quote:
    My view is that most merchants do know what's going on here and that they put the bottom line ahead of ethical business practices.

My thought is, if they put the bottom line ahead of ethics, they should be dropping all parasites.. The reason I say this, if they click through my site, I get the commission, unless the have that ebates crap installed or something then ebates gets the commission. Either way one of us was getting paid. BUT, someone who searches using google or yahoo and ebates plugs their affiliate id in on that link, then the merchant has to pay for search engine traffic, therefore paying a commission to ebates when that traffic should have been free.

In my opinion, merchants should look at it this way since these programs cost them more many.

http://www.ahugedeal.com

Great idea, I'll join up.

Even better, don't some of these folks change names, have numerous shell companies, jump around from domain-to-domain . . . howza honest merchant able to tell the players without a scorecard? Especially if they keep switching uniforms . . .

Van

Affiliate Manager
    terrymc - that is a brilliant point. No merchant (myself included) wants to pay twice for a sale. I just started managing the Plow & Hearth, HearthSong, and Magic Cabin affiliate accounts and have stumbled upon this issue. The amount of information I have collected is very interesting. Have a good one
    Joey - jporterfield2@1800flowers.com

[This message was edited by JoeyP&H on March 22, 2004 at 03:10 PM.]

Affiliate Manager
    Could someone post a list of suspected parasiteware affiliates? Thanks

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Joey your question about identifying parasitic thieving scumbag BHO affiliates and Dupers, should be directed at Linkshare and the other network. After 3 long years of OUTING one perp at a time the real affiliates and AM's are tiring of the game.

No network has ever in history OUTED any of their birthed & nutured thieves to this or any community. Not one eBates, WhenU, Gator, Top Moxie powered perp posing as a charity/reward site has been given due dilligence warings to the commission community.

This industry continues to breed, while knowingly being infected with AIDs and other STD's. Anything is allowed as long as the networks get their cut and the masses of free traffic victims remains in the dark.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    This industry continues to breed, while knowingly being infected with AIDs and other STD's. Anything is allowed as long as the networks get their cut and the masses of free traffic victims remains in the dark.

Well said!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by JoeyP&H:
    Could someone post a list of suspected parasiteware affiliates? Thanks

Do you really think that is wise? Do not ask the competition for a list of names. Perhaps a quick call to the big H would help, he is more impartial.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't know if it has all the aliases these places are said to use--but there's a big list at http://www.parasiteware.com . It's in red on the right-hand side of the page.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

13. Newsletter Signup

14. + Reply to Thread