Suggestion to merchants
    If you have no image of an item in your data feed, can you, at least, put in a "No image available" image? It saves us from having broken images on the pages if we don't catch that there is no image. I am pulling all the products with no image from a feed, now. Those products would have remained if there was a small "Sorry, No Image," image.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I actually prefer just the opposite. I only want an image shown if it's an image of the product. I would rather not have "No image available" images in datafeeds. Just goes to show that you can never please all your affiliates!

My suggestion: If you're going to use a "No image available" image, make sure it's obvious from the name (like "noimage.jpg") so it can be easily filtered out by those of us who don't want them. I've seen some merchants who have a unique image name for each product (like "p86753.jpg") and you don't know until you look at it (or do a checksum) that it's a "No image available" image. It's MUCH HARDER to filter these out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm with Michael on this one. Either no image, or an obvious "noimage.jpg" type name.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Well, my webmerge template calls for an image. If there is none, it comes up as a broken image which looks like hell. An obvious "noimage.jpg" type name would be fine. Now, I am removeing the products entirely because I can just sort the images and the ones with none fall to the bottom for easy removal. Or heck, just put in a 1x1 pixel "noimage.jpg". Something!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Internet Cowboy
    I usually make my own "No Image Available" image for my sites. I hate that some items don't have images, but I sell a lot of products on hobby sites that cost 50 cents or less and I guess the merchant doesn't feel like shooting images of everything. If you make your own, you can brand it to your site and make it match the scheme. It looks better that way.

Yeah, but that is a pain in the butt. One more thing to have to do before the feeds can be used. It all adds up no matter how small.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread