Basic SEO site
    I am looking for a site with information on SEO, i am beginning ot start my first page but dont know anything about SEO and a search just got me lots of overpriced firms. What is reccomended?

Also, what free non SEO methods are good for targetted traffic?

l@rger_th@n_life
    Here is some help,

go to forums and ask specific questions. You can go to seochat.com for articles, there are lots of seo sites just go through the forums and you will fidn what you are looking for.

From the sound of his question, I don't think he knows enough to know what questions to ask. It sounds like he's looking for a one page "best practices" tutorial. I'm not sure where to find one, but I'm sure there's something out there like what he's looking for.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yea.. i really dont know where to start. I am lookin for either a one page very basic tutorial so that i can learn what i need to learn about, or more preferably a website that can take someone iwth no knowledge of SEO and make them at least proficient in it.

PS - Thanks to all of the members of this site, you really are one of the most helpful forums i have ever been on.

Hey Anks,

I have a great SEO eBook for beginners that I send to all my friends and associates who want to understand what they need to do and how to do it.

Send me a PM with an email address, and I'll send it over to ya.

You can't learn everything there is to know about SEO in one day, but if you have a decent knowledge of html and the web in general, you will be able to get a decent grasp of the essentials in a week or two.

I dont think private messaging is enabled until (some number of) posts here, but ill drop ya an aim whenever i see ya online. I also understand that SEO is not something i can learn in a day, in fact, there are not many things that can be learnt in a day, but a couple weeks studyin up on SEO seems like a good investment to me.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; June 4th, 2005 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Removed guess of the number of posts to access PMs

Okay, here are some basics. Keep in mind, however, that the exact details will change depending on your site.

1) Figure out how you want your files organized. If it's a simple site, keep everything at the top level. For instance, www.example.com/pagename.html

2) Figure out how you want the navigation organized. If it's a small site (20 pages or less), you probably want to link to every page from the main page. If it's larger, you want to find some other way to organize it, perhaps with categories and maybe even subcategories. You should be able to get to any page on the site from the main page with a minimum number of clicks and you shouldn't have more than 100 links on any individual page.

3) Choose good filenames. Keep them relatively short and simple. If you can use a good keyword in the filename, great, but try not to make it spammy. For instance, http://www.example.com/gold-jewelry-...ave-money.html isn't good.

4) Use Title tags, Meta Description tags, and Meta Keywords tags to clearly convey what each page contains. Make sure they're all different. Use good keywords in these places, but once again, don't be spammy. Make sure the description and title tags are in plain English and readable, because many search engines will use that.

5) Keep the HTML simple. Avoid frames.

6) Don't try to trick the search engines. Hidden text and other such techniques will backfire.

Those are some basics. I'm sure others could add more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Some More SEO
    1. Use structured heading tags when applicable.
    2. Use Alt tags for images with your keywords when applicable.
    3. Use title tags with keywords when applicable.
    4. Create a site map of all pages no more than 100 links per page.
    5. Create link directory using categories.

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    For Google here is a one-page cheat sheet that basically covers everything, the good and the bad. http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/inte...ng-factors.htm

anks106, make sure you check this site out:

http://www.webworkshop.net/

It's got some valuable stuff (both for beginners and more sophisticated webmasters)!

Good luck!

Geno

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread