Question Redirect page question
    I was thinking about using a redirect page for most if not all of my outgoing links.

Ex. When a user clicks on an affiliate link they will land on a page that says "Please wait while we find your product or page” Then redirecting them there in 5-7 seconds. And having a link that says if you product page does not load click here.

Does anyone currently use this or anything similar?? What are the possible SE effects? Will it cause an indexed site to be dropped? Will it help a site buy showing less out going links? And finally...Is this just generally a bad or wrong thing to do. I am just looking to make better more productive sites with out being a dirt bag...

TIA,
    Doug

Hello,

Some of my sites are using a php script that redirects (gathers the affiliate url from a database). Although I wouldn't recommend making the user waiting 5-7 seconds, this is far too long. When they click on a product they usually want to see it ASAP.
    Also some search engines have problems with using something like this (I've no idea why) but sometimes those redirected pages come up in search results as if they're on your site (which is no good)... so what you could do is simply ban the search engine bots from indexing any [redirectfilename.php] pages.

Reason why I do this? Not only does it let you hide affiliate links etc from stuff like the norton adblocker but it also lets you create your own stats (ie; increase click-throughs when someone clicks through and that way you can be sure the networks aren't giving you false reporting information; at least in terms of impressions and click-throughs)

ABW Ambassador
    Just dont ever do any 302 redirects to other sites, like ones you exchange links with. Yahoo fixed the issue long ago, but Google still has problems with redirection.

All of the header location redirects being done with ASP and PHP redirect scripts are 302 redirects.

Google does have a problem with 302 redirects, and with Meta tag redirects with short durations, and with JavaScript redirects. There aren't a whole lot of choices left. In this situation, a 301 redirect is completely inappropriate.

About the only choice you have (if you don't want the user to wait 5 seconds or more) is a 302 redirect where the redirect script is blocked with the robots.txt file. I am also experimenting with the new rel="nofollow" attribute in the link to the redirect page, but I don't know for certain if this works in this situation. Google, MSN and Yahoo all recognize the new attribute.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

How is a simple php redirect become a 302 redirect?

I thought 302's are done with the htaccess file and you declare what kind of moved page it is?

Am I missing something?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

A PHP redirect using Header Location has always been a 302 redirect unless it is specifiied to be a 301. 301s and 302s can also be done with the htaccess file. A 302 redirect is a Temporary redirect, which means that a search engine should not change the link to reflect the new URL.

You can check out a redirection using a header checker like the following. The status code that's generated is the important part.

http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi...ervercheck.cgi
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Your right! I never realized it resolved to a 302. Hmmm...I have sites which do use redirects and sites that don't but I can't tell if there's a difference yet.(spiderwise)

I'll have to keep an eye on them see if there's a difference. Thanks Tech Evangilist!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread