The Cookies Are Crumbling
    People are ditching their cookies and we're losing sales.

A good article in Media Week about users deleting cookies:
    http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/a..._id=1000945608

Better tracking systems has to be adopted. All the parasiteware and spyware could go away tomorrow and we would still have this problem.

Which merchants are using advanced technology for tracking sales? Where can we find more of this information?

This may not be an overly popular response but, IMHO if cookies aren't tracking say 10% of the time the advertiser needs to realize that and pay their affiliates a little bit more to compensate for the difference.

Otherwise its going to be a long time before most affiliate programs out there switch from cookies to another, more reliable, system.

My 2c

PEOPLE -- have ALWAYS DONE THAT...
    It's a risk you take.. you cannot stop someone from deleting anything on their own PC..

http and a telephoto
    Not only do they delete them, but they block them to begin with. They do whatever the program they have choosen to "protect" their computer suggests they do. I have watched people do it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Also, there has been some followup research and people delete cookies much less frequently than they think or say that they do.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,
    It's good to hear that people don't delete cookies as frequently as they say they do. You're a well-established affiliate marketer . . . I'm not, and still trying to deal with all the info here, from parasiteware to learning about datafeeds.

As a reasonably educated computer user, I block pop-up ads and periodically weed through my cookies to delete ones I don't want, and I agree, most people probably don't do this.

I do plan to keep an ear open for new info about this (even though I need at least a dozen more ears and possibly another couple of brains for an info dump!)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Those running their anti-virus deep scans often find the critters in the windows temporary internet explorer files alongside the cookies. This is due to the uptick in drive-by installs. They then get a case of paranoia and whack all the temp IE6.0 files weekly.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

As a systems administrator with over 1000 users, I recommend that our users delete their cookies once a week. We even have a custom made in-house program that they can run in order to delete the cookies and all temporary internet files.

I recommend this because those files build up like crazy and begin to bog down the download and upload of their profile as they sign on and off each day. Also because of the malware-spyware, I've found this to help cut down on some of the problems we are forced to deal with.

I don't consider the deletion of cookies all that big of a deal. My understanding is that the cookie helps track their purchase and allows the referring affiliate to get credit for the sale. If this is being done on a weekly basis, the effect should not be that detrimental, and you should still get the credit due.

Thoughts?

It really depends on the merchant. For the typical merchant, 80% of sales happen on the initial session and well over 90% happen within a week. Some categories have longer buying cycles. Some have shorter buying cycles. When you factor in both the percent of people who actually delete their cookies regularly (10-25%) and the percent of people who don't buy within that time frame (5-20%), it probably affects only about 1-2% of sales.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    G-Man - Deleting cookies helps with malware how?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread