Thumbs down As much use as a chocolate ashtray on a motorcycle
    Well I had a check (or cheque as we say in the UK) last week from Linkshare for the grand sum of $2.67.

This is less use than a chocolate ashtray on a motorcycle as it will cost me around 5 (gbp), say $7(usd) in bank charges to cash.

So I go into Linkshare to look at reports and I get "Unable to Log In An invalid User Name or Password was entered. " on clicking the the SynergyAnalytics button.

The Linkshare migration seems to be one of the most poorly handled migration projects I have seen in over 30 years in IT.

The old fangled payments section, as far as I can see, has no way to set a minimum amount.

Setting a minimum payment amount is a major issue to non-US based affiliates.

Is there a way to do this that I haven't spotted, or is it tucked away in the SynergyAnalytics section that I can' reach this morning.

I think Mr Messer needs to find someone in their fifties who has been in IT since the days of mainframes, when things had to work, and covered most of the major areas to come and sort him out.
    I know, from personal experience, that there are loads of experienced IT people in their fifties in the UK who are looking for work and can't find it and I would guess it is the same in the USA so he shouldn't have trouble finding someone close by.

Well maybe I should frame the cheque and hang it in our downstairs cloakroom

Rant over, but I do feel better for it.

Les

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Les

Once you have logged in and validated you can set a manual threshold in your profile that covers the consolidated payment. It is listed under your profile.

Way better than it used to be for sure, but make sure when you validated you get your payment name correct, there have been a number of cases where people entered their site name in the field provided and it's causing a tad of chaos.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    As follows

- Select "Your Account"
    - Select "Update Profile"
    - Select a channel **
    - Scroll down to "Payment - Payment Threshold [optional]"
    - Save (Click update at bottom)

** Channels are listed under your profile and signified by the icon that looks like a web page (rather than the ones that look like ID card images and or org chart images)

You can set a different threshold for each Channel.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Thanks Chris

I will log into Linkshare and have a go.

Les

Well think I have done that now.

I had think I must have ignored the update profile link on the left as I had assumed it was part of the old system

While I still have my $2.67 cheque ... I suppose I ought to see if there is a UK charity who can process small value US cheques efficiently, like the thing some airlines do for one's foreign currency on the flight home.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by websmith
    I think Mr Messer needs to find someone in their fifties who has been in IT since the days of mainframes, when things had to work, and covered most of the major areas to come and sort him out.
    Les, there are programmers of that caliber at all ages. My best friend is in his mid-thirties, and he's the CTO of a small company. He and his small staff of about half a dozen programmers (mostly in their twenties) produces some truly incredible high-end commercial software that works right the first time.

I hesitate to point the finger based only on outside circumstantial evidence, but it's fairly obvious that the problems are from a higher level than the programmers. It's not programming problems we're seeing, but implementation and planning problems. I don't know how much of the blame should be divided between the project leaders, the CTO, and the CEO, but those are the places I would look.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Now I don't know exactly how many programmers LinkShare have at their disposal but I fail to see any progress from a programming perspective over the last 3 weeks or so. The editing of the Payable To field functionality should NOT take 3-4 weeks to implement. Are they working in bullet time or something.

I also agree though that it is probably not a fault of the programmers, just bad planning and management.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe they should have gotten the people who plan the LinkShare Symposium. That seems to go pretty smoothly*

If you don't include past revoked Titanium Award winners.
    Last edited by Trust; June 6th, 2005 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Les, there are programmers of that caliber at all ages. My best friend is in his mid-thirties, and he's the CTO of a small company. He and his small staff of about half a dozen programmers (mostly in their twenties) produces some truly incredible high-end commercial software that works right the first time.
    Michael, of course you are right and there are good quality IT people of all ages, but unlike in the 90's and earlier, there is now a whole band of IT people of 45 upwards who have been cast out on the rubbish tip, but who are willing and happy work at a fraction of what they used to earn 10 years earlier. So you can get a lot of bang for your bucks in terms of experience.

The big difference is that an older experienced person will have seen a wider range of projects. There is however a proviso, a very big one, and that is that the oldie must have a genuine "x" years experience and not 1 years experience "x" times over, which sometimes is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I hesitate to point the finger based only on outside circumstantial evidence, but it's fairly obvious that the problems are from a higher level than the programmers. It's not programming problems we're seeing, but implementation and planning problems. I don't know how much of the blame should be divided between the project leaders, the CTO, and the CEO, but those are the places I would look.

On this point you are so right. Last year I got pulled in to do some trouble shooting on an web/it project, the week before it was due to go live, because it was in grave danger of collapsing in a heap. Even though there were a number of software issues the real problem turned out to be the sales guy who was in in charge of the project. I had to be pretty ruthless in making all the sales people understand that when I said No I meant it, as there had been daily, continual, scope creep. I put in place an immediate code freeze and some very traditional change control procedures, we prioritised all the outstanding problems, fixed the urgent ones and it went live ok in the end, but it was a bit touch and go. I heard the other week it is now a big success, and ironically, that is due to a new sales lady and not the sales manager.

Equally in the software company where I used to work in the 90's, a new software product has just been brought to market and it has taken 4 years, so it is way too late, and that was because the IT project manager was given too much leeway.

So IT projects can have a bumpy ride for all sorts of reasons, and often problems that at first sight are purely technical, often have a much more generic management issue behind them.

Probably, and it is easy with hindsight, Mr Messer should have got a small group of affiliates (ideally representing a good cross section of the affiliate user base), and the same for merchants, and got them to provide early feedack of the detailed spec. Then he should have run a small pilot project.

One thing, even now, that he needs to do is put in place proper version control for changes and also automated regression testing (checking the old code/functionality still works when making updates). If he has go both these in place then these are obviously not working and he needs to get an outsider to do an ful IT audit.

So basically I agree totally with what Michael said.

Let us hope that Mr Messer does read all the posts here and takes the message onboard.

Just

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread