The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    This SAS Merchant says they're "too busy" for affiliates
    I applied to All About Gifts & Baskets back in April. Noticed they're "still pending"

I emailed them yesterday saying I only work with living, breathing AMs, they obviously don't have one, so please do NOT approve me.

They responded today:

We are sorry you are so disappointed in the delay in approving/declining your affiliate membership request. We are working with hundreds of affiliates and have been busy with the spring holidays (ie. Administrative Assistants Day, Nurses Day, Graduation, Mother's Day, etc.) and have not been as diligent with our approvals/declines as we normally would have been. Typically, we approve/decline our applicants approximately every 2 weeks. However, you applied on 4/27 which is right at the height of the spring holiday rush.

Again, our apologies in the delay in approving your company.

Regards,
    The AA Gift Team
    They have an entire "team" that can't get around to approving an application???

That's ok. It's obviously my fault. I picked the wrong day to apply - they are not available for an entire season - SPRING!!

They need a disclaimer on the SAS interface letting affiliates know when a good time to apply may be

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    That Administrative Assistants Day is a BIGEE!! (Just kidding of course)

I guess one would wonder "why even have the affiliate program?" if they do not approve affiliates. Someone like yourself probably would have gotten them a bunch of sales in the time since you applied.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    It took several months for them to get around to approving me.

Hmmmmm.... I wonder how they could underestimate affiliate marketing so much (that's what they are doing from my point of view)...

Geno

I'm just happy I learned BEFORE I made any links - devoted any time to them.

Sometimes these things are blessings!

I'd love to rant more, but "Administrative Assistants Day" set me back to much, all my websites are waaaaaay behind and I have to get back to work

With respect to the merchant I fail to see how they can justify their position. It takes me a few minutes every morning to check SaS and my other network. Out of 200+ affilliates I don't think one has waited more than 48 hours for approval.

Affilliate marketing is central to my business and as already said why bother to have a program at all and operate it like that. Very sad.
    Malcolm
    [URL=http://www.ampalian.com]Ampalian Direct Jewellery[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.ampalian.com/linktous.php] Make Money with Ampalian[/URL]

And, merchants wonder why we sign up for every program we may have a piddlin' interest in well in advance of when we actually plan on using them!

It is all too frequent that we have to wait forever before being approved.

That's why I think automatic approval is best. You can always go in the next AM and unapprove instead of approving. You will only need to unapprove a very few, one would hope.

That way, if an affiliate is ready to put you up right away and they have no reason to think they will be unapproved, they can use the program when needed. Those who would likely be unapproved are probably bad ones and who cares if the lose a few hours work, anyway?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    And, merchants wonder why we sign up for every program we may have a piddlin' interest in well in advance of when we actually plan on using them!

It is all too frequent that we have to wait forever before being approved.
    I am sure this is not the case with everybody (i.e. not all merchants whose programs you apply to)...

Geno

I signed up for about 20 SAS merchants yesterday, and almost all of them were automatic approval. But yes, that's a major reason why affiliates sign up well in advance of when they expect to promote merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thumbs up wrong formatting
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I signed up for about 20 SAS merchants yesterday, and almost all of them were automatic approval.
    I know were were one of them! Welcome to our program, Michael!

Geno

Reply from the owner
    Billy-

I agree that a month is too long to have to wait to be approved. We do normally approve applicants within the 2 week timeframe mentioned in our reply. You'll notice that she did in fact reply to your email within a day, which is some evidence at least that we are responsive to affiliate questions. You may make think "Administrative Assistants Day" is trivial, but in fact it is a major holiday in the gift business. In fact, it's bigger than half the holidays you promote on your website and you might want to consider adding it next year. I'm sorry if you think 2 weeks is still too long to wait to be approved by a merchant. We are trying to build long term relationships with our affiliates, so I don't consider 2 weeks exhorbitant in the big picture.

I also saw a discussion about auto-approvals. We used to do this, but made a conscious decision about a year ago to stop the practice. We receive a large volume of applications to our program, and unfortunately, many of them are from affiliates that we end up declining (e.g., non-existent websites, not gift related, etc.). We decided it was easier to manage the approvals up front than try to track down and decline auto-approved sites that didn't meet our criteria after the fact.

Bill Smith
    Owner
    All About Gifts & Baskets, LLC

Internet Cowboy
    Two weeks is still far too long.
    I often am developing a site and see a need for a certain type of banner and look for merchants who can fill the specific need. By the time two weeks passes, I have found someone and moved on. By the time a month has passed I am already seeing commissions from the merchants on the new site.

If you can't get someone to look at applicants on a daily basis, you are missing out on a lot of good affiliates. If I were a merchant with an affiliate program, approval of new affiliates would be one of my top daily priorities.

Affiliate Manager
    many of them are from affiliates that we end up declining (e.g., non-existent websites, not gift related, etc.).
    I can understand non-existant websites but not non-gift related sites. Just like not being able to look at affiliate applications in a timely manner, you are missing out on some great affiliates by declining them because their site that they registered with is not a gift related site. Alot of affiliates will create sites or webpages dedicated to your products.

I honestly don't see any reason for not auto-approving affiliates in the Shareasale Network... especially for a pay per sale program.

ABW Ambassador
    According to the first post, it was more than 2 weeks. More like 4 or 5 weeks and
    still pending.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy

I am sure this is not the case with everybody (i.e. not all merchants whose programs you apply to)...

Geno
    Well, you see, the problem is you don't know how long it will take to be approved until you are approved. None of the merchants have a flag that says, "We approve really fast!" So, when you see them, you apply if you have any interest at all. Also, it helps to not froget a merchant if they are on your "list".

One of the most effective reminders that I have seen is the merchant who sends me a data feed every week. Mind you I don't USE it every week. Nor, do I often even open his e-mail. But, when I am doing a new site or an update, there it is, right in my mail box, ready to go. If I forget, the shiny, new, fresh feed is likely to show up while I am working. They are not likely to be left out of a new site or an update.

The feed is a really good one and that nice, clean, fresh, feed coming every week sort of makes me feel guilty for not using it.

Now, that is what I like. And, I bet at some point almost ALL his affiliates have grabbed that feed and used it. Who could resist? The merchant has put his best tool right in front of your face. It is excellent. Of course, it will be used.
    Last edited by SSanf; June 7th, 2005 at 01:04 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Looks like this thread got things rolling. I had been waiting more than a month too. Just got approved. Normally I drop merchants that don't approve within a week. IMO, it shows a lack of attention to their program.

There is an ABW certified merchant that does this very same thing also. I signed up with them on three separate occassions between September & December last year and waited and waited and waited. Even sent them email...no response. They won't get my business and really shouldn't be an ABW certified merchant IMO.

Edited: Oops, I just checked on the merchant I spoke about above and they are gone. I guess they were weeded out by the system...cool!
    Last edited by Travelin Man; June 7th, 2005 at 01:21 PM.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I am sure all the OPMs can agree. The problem is that many merchants are not really edudated enough about how affiliate marketing works. It's too new for them. Some are willing to at least get free consulting and make changes to their program. I have seen 1 SAS merchant make a positive change in their program after some free suggestions, (If I keep it up, I'll be out of business and perhaps put all OPMs out of business. LOL), I am still glad they learned and are doing what it takes to help affiliates in the long run. But some have no idea as they are not affiliates or never will be. Many don't have time to run a program much less hire an in-house manager. Some, well it's another story.

All merchants should have Auto Approve on. The only exception can be if you want to monitor who signs up from certain countries because of fraud, then you should check "Auto Approve By Country", but all affiliates should get in. Even if you have "auto approve by country" you should still be prepared to approve them within hours, not days. After they are in then just keep an eye for suspisious or too many orders through their referral links.

I have always let affiliates in and even stay inactive. Last year I saw an affiliate from another country sign up, I had them on "approve by country", I monitored them for a while as the site they signed up through was real bad and looked suspicious, but after a few months this affiliate "from another country" turned out to be one of the power affiliates. So merchants get affiliates signed up quick and motivate them to get those links up ASAP.

I spend sometimes 2 hours a week between emails and phone calls from merchants giving them free pointers, suggestions and consulting on things they should do that can help their program. I am sure other OPMs do even more. Probably more or less the same suggestions as other OPMs, and I am sure the merchants call around.

I suggest when anyone runs into a merchant that needs help, send them some recent educational threads from ABW and move on. Follow up with them in about a couple of weeks. I do it all the time, if they are willing to listen to an affiliate and do what it EVER it takes to improve their program then they also need to read and learn from ABW, for our own sake.

Send them this thread and these others:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58876

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=53957

Or to an OPM

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    Some are willing to at least get free consulting and make changes to their program. I have seen 1 SAS merchant make a positive change in their program after some free suggestions, (If I keep it up, I'll be out of business and perhaps put all OPMs out of business. LOL), I am still glad they learned and are doing what it takes to help affiliates in the long run.
    I doubt that would ever happen! Once they know what needs to be done and the benefits of doing all the right things, many will realize that they don't have the time and hire someone who will do it right. I recommend the OPMs who are active on ABW quite regularly. Hiring an AM can be hit and miss. Hiring an OPM usually costs less and produces considerably better results.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I know there is a middle ground between "auto-approve" and "manual-approve using very narrow constraints" (like this merchant). Despite what posters have said (above), I'm not sure either works very well.

If the businesses aren't compatible - forget it.

Fred

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi All;

I used to use auto approve BUT and this is a big thing for me. In SAS when you use auto approve the new affiliate only gets one automated email announcing that we have received their application (or whatever you want to say) By placing on non auto they get 2 automated email's and the second can have all the relevant information for the affiliate!!!

This is a big plus for me. In SAS the AM gets a email saying that an affiliate has applied. I log in twice/day (7 days a week) and then approve them. I very seldom turn anyone down, but I like seeing who applies to my program.

One thing is you can not tell which site the link will go on (many affiliates have more than 1 site) and they don't always list all their sites so to turn down an affiliate because the sites don't match is a no-no.

or how experienced the affiliate is.

Sometimes I look at the sas affiliate id and assume that low numbers means they have been around while higher number means they are new but this might be wrong.

but I really like the 2 email's as it helps me give information to the affiliate.

I can't see any reason why an affiliate would need to wait more than a day or 2 ( unless during the holidays).

Just some info from an AM's side :-)
    Last edited by Richard - AMWSO; June 7th, 2005 at 10:29 PM.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

I agree with Richard.

Set autoapprove to OFF - BUT - take the 5 seconds to look at the aff's site first thing in the morning.

But in this merchant's case, 6 weeks of still being up in the air is unacceptable. And regardless of how the merchant spins it, it tells ME that affiliates are not a priority for his business.

Also, "autoapprove" does not mean "auto-approve". Several times I was declined by people listed as autoapprove.

So now I'm forced to wait a week before adding links to people who autoapproved me.

For those that are/have been managers, here's a question. Would you hire a salesperson, then tell them to just go and sit in the corner for a month? Of course not. Then you say, "Well, the salesman (read: affiliate) doesn't have a salary - so what am I losing?"

If you don't use your affiliates, your losing sales. Come on, you've paid something to get your program up and running - make your investment work.

I'll be starting my own Affiliate Management firm now, contact me at my email address

Fred

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread