Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Nortons Now Blocking Linkshare
    I have just been notified that Nortons is now blocking Linkshare links?

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank You,
    Jason Bishop

lurk
    Where did you hear that?

Yes, we really need more information to follow up with a validation via our own checking.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I'm running Norton 2005, The Anti Spyware Edition, version 8.2.0.34. I have everything turned on with the exception of parental controls and personal firewall. I just went and got the latest updates 10 minutes ago and restarted my computer. I looked at some Linkshare product links and a banner on two of my sites and had no problem. Clicked through one and it worked fine.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Tis the achelles hell of all existing major networks. They are ruled and controlled by the info peddling Advertising Industry block who demand intrusive spyware clickstream data mining to do away with the ingrate low traffic affiliates. Someone aught to devise a Sales Network for affiliates where there is no need for Adwhore spyware.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Tis the achelles hell of all existing major networks. They are ruled and controlled by the info peddling Advertising Industry block who demand intrusive spyware clickstream data mining to do away with the ingrate low traffic affiliates. Someone aught to devise a Sales Network for affiliates where there is no need for Adwhore spyware.
    Is Charlie on vacation today?

PS: Sorry Mike! I could not resist.

Special Liaison
    Netnow22,

Yes, were aware that Norton can block LinkShare links.

Here are some fixes that you can try:
    ***SECURITY SETTINGS***
    If you use Norton Internet Security 3.0 and you have the Privacy
    Level set to High, then you may be unable to login to Linkshare or have problems with links. Setting the Privacy Level to Medium will allow you to login without any problems.

You will also need to disable the ad-blocking feature in order to be able to click through to Merchant sites.

To disable Ad Blocking in Norton Internet Security:

Select Start-> Programs-> Norton Internet Security-> Norton Internet Security
    Click on "Ad Blocking"
    Click on "Turn Off"

If you use Norton Internet Utilities and "block ads" is set, then the Linkshare links are being blocked. You should change that setting.

Regards,

Gloria

Uh, what? You mean people (our customers) that don't know this information and are getting blocked? This would seem like a high priority item for LS to solve.

(by the way, thank you VERY much Gloria for making an appearance in Mr. Messers [unexcused] absence. I do hope we see more of you and really do appreciate your quick posting here in a thread like this, even if the answer does alarm me)
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I used Norton about a year ago for testing. That time, I was not able to login to LS with Norton privacy setting set to default.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid
    If you use Norton Internet Utilities and "block ads" is set, then the Linkshare links are being blocked. You should change that setting.
    Gloria,

The issue is not how to configure Norton so that it does not block LS links. I do not expect a causal Internet user to change Norton settings to see the ads from LS. I'd rather expect to see a solution from LS so that Norton cannot block at least text links even if all the settings are set to high (default).

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcedit
    The issue is not how to configure Norton so that it does not block LS links. I do not expect a causal Internet user to change Norton settings to see the ads from LS. I'd rather expect to see a solution from LS so that Norton cannot block at least text links even if all the settings are set to high (default).
    Exactly - consumers won't even know anything is missing on the page, much less make any effort to "mess with settings" on something they know little about.
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    When i had norton installed i could not log into Linkshare either ... Linkshare was aware of the problem... just not much you can do. I really do not like Norton ... too ambitious ... ends up blocking everything it seems like ... Uninstalled them awhlie ago.

Special Liaison
    Hello Everyone,

I completely agree with all your comments. I know we're attempting to resolve this issue with the Norton, but suggest you contact them too. If they know this issue impacts a wide range of users, they may be able to resolve the problem.

Regards,

Gloria

ABW Ambassador
    Gloria is there anybody available at LS that can get into a moderated thread and answer some lingering questions affiliates have?

Thanks, Trust. I was about to ask the same thing. Gloria, here's a link to the thread with a list of lingering problems:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=59099

If there's anyone at Linkshare that can review the list, tell us what the timelines are for things to be fixed, and otherwise keep us updated, it sure would be great.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Gloria, good to see someone from LS since smesser has let everyone down.

But, that info and a bus token will get us downtown. Got a work around so people can sell stuff to Norton users?

See you answered above. Norton WANTS to block affiliate links. CJ can't make them mind and neither can LS. Need a work around.

BTW people who have posted here always speak well of you, unlike he who will remain nameless.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Gloria,

Just a few more posts and you can read all the PM's I sent you!!!

Yes, I really do suggest you go to the moderated thead (you'll be safe there) and either you or Adam or someone take over for Mr. Messer. This is a really important time to work with us affiliates. Mr. Messer seemed to think that getting us paid was the only problem. It may have been a most important one, but it was far from being our only one.

Welcome back and I hope you can help us.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I guess the answer is no, there's no one at Linkshare that can answer our questions.

Hello,

Lets be fair. Gloria is a Linkshare employee and is somewhere down the chain from the CEO. We are asking her to be in a no win situation. Either jump in and start getting answers for people, which either shows up, contradicts or undermines her CEO. Or she can give the same type of non-responsive half answers and get piled on by the other posters here, which will also make her look bad to her employer. I think we should give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she is not responding because that is the political correct within Linkshare thing to do.

Regards

Cool
    Gloria is obviously an employee. Employees eventually go home after work. Not like us.

So, if there will be an answer, I imagine it will be during her working hours.

I installed NIS Norton Internet Secuirty about a month ago to check this out myself. (Bought at Sams) I accepted all defaults, did not change anything and all my affiliate links work fine from all networks. It does put an icon in the toolbar where you can easily block ads and cookies on sites but you have to choose that. On the other hand it is just as easy to uncheck the block ads/cookies also.

Tami

Quote Originally Posted by jrb16915
    Hello,

Lets be fair. Gloria is a Linkshare employee and is somewhere down the chain from the CEO. We are asking her to be in a no win situation. Either jump in and start getting answers for people, which either shows up, contradicts or undermines her CEO. Or she can give the same type of non-responsive half answers and get piled on by the other posters here, which will also make her look bad to her employer. I think we should give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she is not responding because that is the political correct within Linkshare thing to do.

Regards
    Kellie's offer of a moderated post would be the best idea all around. I hope some representative from LS would realize the importance of this. Then, from what is asked here and the responses, they should make a FAQ on the LS site for all affiliates to see, not just us folks here at ABW.

Maybe they just don't understand what a moderated post is. If so, please ask and we will elaborate.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks for cherping in here Gloria as all LS help is appreciated. I assume you know why Norton and all others, except Microsoft's Anti-Virus and OneCare program, block network cookies and even blank display of network coded links. LS, and the others for years, let the BHO's and drive-by/bundling installers kill shoppers systems with various forms of commission theftware. Norton knew this was a coordinated effort pushed for by DMA/IAB members hurt by the Do Not Call and Can-Spam bills making their living by selling privacy information.

Adware is the crux of the issue and the advertising industry respects no one but the almighty dollar. My paragraph above contains the reason why Linkshare is powerless to get Norton (et. All) to leave their links and cookies alone. The advertising mindset demands privacy violating clickstream data mining spyware for their bloody eyeball gathering stats. None of this link blanking or sales cookie blocking crap can legally occur in my Safe Haven Sales Network model. LS has been offered a license to use this type model in parallel to their existing sinking ship. www.ecomcity.com/safehaven-network.htm
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Special Liaison
    Good Morning,

I know the moderated post suggestion is being looked into. As soon as I or anyone else gets more information on this, there should be a post.

Regards,

Gloria

Do you need that information from someone here at ABW? I can see about someone here providing that as this is very much needed.

Thanks!
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Attention GLoria,
    Thanks for answering my question, However you reply really doesn't help. I am not worried about myself in how to fix this problem, I am worrying about my customers having Nortons installed and me losing commsion!

Every New Dell comes with Nortons preinstalled, how are we affiliates going to survive if a good portion of our users are using this product.

Thank You,

Note: It sounds to me Nortons wants a cut of the industry from all affiliate networks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast