Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs down Check your domains name for another type of parasite, your competitors...
    Registrant:
    Three-Legged Toad, Inc.
    Domain Name: WWWCLEVERMOMS.COM
    Administrative Contact: Vergara, Marifer

##################
    edited note: Although I don't know this person personally, she apparently someone who is a well known leader in the affiliate community helping affiliate managers build affiliate programs.

She is cybersquating on my domain name I have worked for six years to build less the dot in wwwclevermoms.com. Very sad, and hightly unethical, to say the least.
    Last edited by Anne; June 6th, 2005 at 10:49 PM. Reason: url didn't work to blog

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I'm changing my post because Anne changed hers.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Not only is that a competitor, but it is also an Affiliate Manager!

http://www.3leggedtoad.com/

http://www.getafreelancer.com/users/20599.html

She used to be associated with catalogs.com...
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Anne,

It is more than just unethical IMO. Typosquatting can also be a legal issue. And yeah..lots of people are doing it and lots of people are making some good money (from what I'm hearing) by doing it.

But to see an OPM/AM doing it to an affiliate...well there's just no excuses and it's just deplorable behavior. If an AM will do this themselves, then what exactly are they allowing the affiliates in their program to do? Where can the trust be? No one should even have to be saying "I think/hope she'll do the right thing." It should have never happened to begin with. It's not like you just accidentally register a domain.

Animal Lover
    Hmm...this the same person who started the furor a while back...unethical to say the least.

Oscar

I saw you DCMA her ass. Send the letter to her domain park company, Go Daddy etc

This is upsetting. I just signed up with them. ( I think ) Just checked...Scratch this.. I didn't sign up w/ them.
    Last edited by leeann; June 7th, 2005 at 12:41 AM.

Somebody's done something similar to me. Took part of my domain name and added "tips" to the end of it. I've done searches and found phrases verbatim from my website. When I click on the links, the page redirects to a similar page as wwwclevermoms.com with nothing but ads and url searchportal.domainsponsor.com. Totally different registered owner.

It looks like what they're doing is finding sites with high search engine listings, then copying paragraphs word-for-word that the search engines read. However, when somebody clicks on the link, the page redirects to a page of nothing but ads. Seems like a sleezy way to steal traffic as well as pump up ad revenues. Especially since nothing in the description on the search engine end is found anywhere on the landing page or links to anything similar.

What is this domainsponsor.com?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, that person runs another affiliate forum (or should i say ran since no one goes there?). What do you think the ethics level was at that forum???? This is one of those times we should all thank Haiko, for as much crap as I give him, this is what is out there that he avoids being. Other forums start with no ethics, and only go down from there.

Chet

15 years and counting
    This is quite disturbing knowing she's an affiliate manager. If you're an affiliate of her programs, be careful, she have access to sensitive information. I've seen what she did before, like a cut & paste of Haiko forums to start her own. One of her last projects was "an About.com Clone"!!!
    She's attending most affiliate meetings, she knows perfectly well all top earning affiliates and their URLs. It's not a mistake.
    "Written by Marifer Vergara Wednesday, 12 May 2004
    In Feng Shui, a three legged toad is a sign of prosperity. It is believed that placing a three legged toad at the entrance of your home or place of business will bring in more money."
    What else did she learn from China?

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Ugh...I'm so sorry Anne. That's despicable! I feel very sorry for anyone working with her as an affiliate. She should be tarred and feathered!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

ABW Ambassador
    It's trademark infringement. Even if it's not a registered trademark it's valid by reason of usage and could be actionable if it's meant to cause confusion.

www.chillingeffects.org has really good information that's easy to understand.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Remember all the crapolla Catalogs.com caused when they were just a middleman paying a fraction of sales commissions to affiliates when their reporting worked. Simply unethical to acquire affiliate stats and copycat or cybersquat domains to squeeze bucks from your hard working affiliates. Shame!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

This is one of those times we should all thank Haiko, for as much crap as I give him, this is what is out there that he avoids being.
    Agreed! Haiko took quite a bit of flack from some when he banned Marifer from ABW because of a questionable domain she posted for sale here and then he didn't take kindly to the copying of ABW on their new forums.

He works very hard to keep the nonsense off this board as best he can.

Internet Cowboy
    This looks like a slam dunk legal action to me.

I'm sorry to hear that it appears that Marifer has stooped to even more inexcusable actions against (one time fellow) ABW members. It's also appearing to be a trend of hers.

As HardwareGeek stated, I would start off with an immediate DMCA notification to Three-Legged Toad, Inc. and GoDaddy.com .

Best-o-luck!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Don't forget the parked domain company cut off her funds fast from it.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I don't think a DCMA is any good in this instance. There is no copyright infringement here.

You need to write a letter asking for the transfer of the domain name under threat of UDRP. A UDRP in this case would be a slam-dunk.

But then again, how many surfers accidentally type in your domain without the .?

If the traffic lost is minimal, you might want to just let her play her silly little game and maybe put a up a site about her unethical tactics and have a copy of the WHOIS on it, along with other evidence outlined here. The Internet never forgets.

What was her ABW name? I don't know a lot of people by their "real" name.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

SSanf...I think her screen name was Marifer. Or it had Marifer in it.

ABW Ambassador

A 3 legged toad in your doorway is just going to cause someone to trip, fall and sue you.

Looking at her site she looks more like an AM wannabe than an actual AM. There is nothing listed under programs. If cybersquating is the only way she can think to make money she won't last long.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - - -
    If the traffic lost is minimal, you might want to just let her play her silly little game and maybe put a up a site about her unethical tactics and have a copy of the WHOIS on it, along with other evidence outlined here. The Internet never forgets.
    - - - - - -

Ouch, that would have to hurt. And, it's a good idea.... any future employers may want to google her..... and she's going to have some explaining to do, there.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    I don't think a DCMA is any good in this instance. There is no copyright infringement here.

You need to write a letter asking for the transfer of the domain name under threat of UDRP. A UDRP in this case would be a slam-dunk.

But then again, how many surfers accidentally type in your domain without the .?

Drewbert (or Kellie): Guidance here. We have someone doing the same thing. Don't think they're generating squat, but we could rattle some sabres.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've seen what she did before, like a cut & paste of Haiko forums to start her own.~Zeus
    I remember that too. Pure sleaze.

She's attending most affiliate meetings, she knows perfectly well all top earning affiliates and their URLs. It's not a mistake.
    There's method to my 'madness' of not giving out my affiliate-site URLs and not attending meetings
    You need to write a letter asking for the transfer of the domain name under threat of UDRP. A UDRP in this case would be a slam-dunk.~Drewbert
    Definitely! Whether it costs you even 1 hit of traffic or not. It's the principle--let her know she's picked not only the low road, but the hard road as well.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast