Hi

I have spent a bunch of time in the parasites section of ABW and I still haven't learned how to determine if a merchant is parasite free.

How do some of the more savvy marketers make this determination?
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Sophist,

The reality of the situation is that there is no easy way to know it 100%. New applications come out all the time and may go undetected for periods of time before those who are looking for them discover them. Merchant relationships change daily. Parasites behavior change constantly. Parasites operate in many different ways and there's not always an easy way to determine the Merchant relationships except by running the applications and seeing what happens. Even then the results you see can be misleading. For example you may be testing an application and see a pop up or redirect to a Merchant's web site with affiliate tracking code and so assume the Merchant is partnering with that parasite. The reality may actually be the Merchant has taken a strong stance against parasites and booted the parasite from their program and it is actually another affiliate running ads through the software that the Merchant isn't even aware of. And then there is the fact that even when booted, these guys sneak back into the programs under different names. Again unknown to the Merchant.

The short answer is that it is not easy to determine. Personally I look more at the track record of the Merchant and their response when issues are brought to them.

Thanks for the information you've posted about parasites. Someone from metricsdirect joined my program and today I deleted their account. I didn't realize they were a parasite until I read some of your posts.

Committed to running a parasite free affiliate program!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    By Ben's last count MetricsDirect/180Solutions was using 42 different affiliate ID#'s. The only recourse is to force the networks to disclose upfront any and all affiliates who use download S/W UPFRONT like they did in the good old honest days with "incent" traffic affiliates.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    By Ben's last count MetricsDirect/180Solutions was using 42 different affiliate ID#'s.

No, no, no. 180Solutions was using 3 different ID's, now they are using only 2. All those other ID are other affiliates advertising through 180's software. So dropping 180Solution does NOT stop all those other affiliates. Additionally some affs have multiple ID's of course. Not to mention that which affs are using 180' software can change. I personally know of just one affiliate who uses 180 to drive most of (if not all of) his traffic. They have multiple web sites as a front for this. I collected over 50 different affiliate ID's off of just one and half of their one page sites. Then I got tired. They have a different ID for each merchant. ANY of those ID's could potentially show through 180's software. Actually, I was told by a reliable source that there were 50+ ID's just with one Network.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    So what your saying Ms.B is that for every thieving application like 180Solutions they're many times more "tricks for clicks" cookie stuffing affiliates more then willing to steal from their fellow affiliates work.

I say OUT the buggers. To those using the 3rd world PPCSE's knowing they get cookie setting junk traffic exposure via the BHO's shame on you for giving Knoodle -Findwhat and all the others your BHO support fees while posing as saints here at ABW.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I gather from what Ms. B is saying that we not only need parasite awareness and a stance against it but also merchants need to become parasite proof with a suit of armor.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread