Step by Step Instructions for Data Feed?
    Is there a posting for "simple - can't mess it up" step by step instructions for data feeds for someone---me :-) who knows nothing about it? I can handle the make a page feature but that is about as technical as I can get.

Thank you

Datafeed is just the raw data from the merchant. There are many, many ways to process a data feed.

You can write some scripts in php, asp, coldfusion, or even perl to create dynamic pages.

You can also find programs such as webmerge which will generate static html pages.
    Find a method that best suites your abilities and start learning .

Oh yeah there are also some feedburner scripts out there that are geared for the technically challenged also, those will also spit out pages for you. I forget the names of the websites, someone else will pro'lly chime in on those.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

porkchop,

Browse through this Forum:

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=193

It should have the answers to your questions.

Suz is right. There are many ways to import any given datafeed into your site/system. Take your time to read what others have to say at the above forum, make your choice of the "importing method" and ask specific questions.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    Is there a posting for "simple - can't mess it up" step by step instructions for data feeds for someone---me :-) who knows nothing about it? I can handle the make a page feature but that is about as technical as I can get.

Thank you
    You are not Alone!!
    I can't figure it out either.

The 'make a page' is as far as I can get.

Maybe...One day...
    Nature

You need a program to take the information from the feed and make pages for you. Buy Webmerge. Make a template of what you want your page to look like and on that template you put instructions where you want the information from the feed to show up in the page. Then, run Webmerge to make thousands of pages with the information from the feed inserted automatically.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    You need a program to take the information from the feed and make pages for you. Buy Webmerge. Make a template of what you want your page to look like and on that template you put instructions where you want the information from the feed to show up in the page. Then, run Webmerge to make thousands of pages with the information from the feed inserted automatically.
    SSanf,
    Is it a crime to be so helpful?
    If it is ...you are soooooooooo guilty!!!

Thanks!
    So Much!!!

ABW Ambassador
    I can't figure out how to get the items in the feed to go onto the right pages in the right categories. I think I may be hopeless case.

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Those tutorials are fine as far as they go - very understandable and clear. BUT not for how to *prepare* the datafeed before cranking out the WM pages. That's the crucial part and it's what's stopping me 100%.

Things like

>using just a small portion of the feed
    >custom selecting just portions for sections
    >customizing the text so the pages won't get whammed at the engines

Preparing the feed is the hard part for the technically clueless.

Webworker,
    Are you familiar with Excel? So much of datafeed prep work can easily be done in Excel. But, there isn't always a super-automated way to do it. It involves cutting and pasting the sections you want, rewriting text...

To be unique you have to put a bit of yourself and your own writing into it. Make it your own. Some people choose to run the datafeed as is, others spend a great deal of time making it different than every one else's.

You could do a search/replace using a thesaurus. For instance replace the word dog with canine. That's not necessarily a good idea but it is an example of how you can replace certain words in a datafeed pretty easily.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Do y'all (affiliates!) think posting links to these forums (say, in the Affiliate Program FAQ's section) would help new affiliates?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Do y'all (affiliates!) think posting links to these forums (say, in the Affiliate Program FAQ's section) would help new affiliates?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Geno

Yes Geno,

The Newbie FAQs Forum would be a good place to post those links and maybe, even with a

There are many new members like porkchop, that have this question.

Is there a posting for "simple - can't mess it up" step by step instructions for data feeds for someone---me :-) who knows nothing about it?
    His post reminded me of how I got here to ABW.

If I had those links available in one place at that time, I probably would had learned about datafeeds sooner but, while it took me a bit longer to search, find, read and learn about datafeeds on ABW, now I can say this:

Most of what I know now about datafeeds today, I learned on ABW but, and here is the big but........

Learning how to make 1000 new pages a minute with any datafeed, might be a good experience when you learn about, how to work with datafeeds for the very first time, so it's good to know, how to do that.

Today I have no regrets about wasting some extra time on ABW at the beginning of my quest to learn about datafeeds, because by not finding all the info that I was looking for about datafeeds in one specific ABW Forum, I was forced to browse all over the entire ABW website and I discovered that there is more to affiliate marketing than learning about how to use a datafeed.

From AdSense to Zango, Datafeeds are second nature now to me.

But in conclusion, I have no problem with any Newbie, asking any legitimate question on any forum on their first posts, about how to make more money as an affiliate marketer.

We, as older ABW members, should point any real Newbie in the right direction and see what they do afterward.

I say any real Newbie because we all know about all of the fake Newbies drive-by that are showing up around lately.

I think I was getting carried away with this post.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    My unsolicited datafeed advice is...

after you get your first feed, delete all but 20 products

then do all your experimenting

much easier to learn, experiment, adjust, tweak etc if you're just making 20 pages, rather then 3000

ABW Ambassador
    Looks like it's time to brush up on Excel, I've probably forgotten more than I remember.

>>after you get your first feed, delete all but 20 products

Super, I won't be doing more than 10-20 for each "segment" of a feed anyway and that'll work fine with the trial of WM for now.

Thanks!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Actually, WebMerge has a feature to let you use just a few - I think it's 50

I practiced CLEANING UP THE FEEDS with only 20 products

The first step is transforming the merchants data feed into a database that you can work with. I use mysql. I run this program called datafeed to mysql to transform the merchants feed into mysql.
    http://www.phpmill.com/feedparser/

Then you can run simple queries with something like phpmyadmin on the database to delete rows matching certain patterns. "Delete from tablename where columnname like '%this%' and columnname not like '%that%'". Fine tune this to whatever you need to do to the data.
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/delete.html

Then you make your website out of the data by either writing scripts to use the table directly or you can write scripts to push the data to other areas of your database or populate a ready made setup like oscommerce. Knowing at least some php/mysql is invaluable. This is the most time-consuming step. But if you can write a good script or have a good one made for you to do the job, then you should be able to reuse it for other datafeeds.

With Webmerge and 1000+ sites from a datafeed like that, don't you still have to optimize each page for a search engine? Is that why this tool that sandra is talking about to add readable verbage a big deal (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=58003), or do you have to know how to alter the datafeed like Zimmy suggested to be able to customize the site enough to please google?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Actually, WebMerge has a feature to let you use just a few - I think it's 50
    It's a settable option from which you can choose 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, or 1000 records to process.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread