Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    bye bye parasites in the network?
    "NETWORK QUALITY ANNOUNCEMENT

The ability for advertisers, publishers and Commission Junction to understand each others' activity is an important aspect of the CJ Marketplace. We openly display information within the CJ Account Manager™ - EPC, Network Earnings Ratings and program descriptions - so that you can make informed decisions about which affiliations and traffic-driving methods are best suited to your program.

In order to sustain this open marketplace of information, Commission Junction will no longer allow special programs engaged in the purchase of media from ad services that download and install software on an end-user's computer. For special programs currently engaged in such practices, Commission Junction requests that you immediately discontinue such practices. We will continue to monitor such programs to insure that special descriptions are properly updated. .........."

Roland

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i hate long goodbyes... wish they'd shoot them instead of waving... and chatting... and exchanging addresses... and wishing well... and kissing... and reminiscing...

Internet Cowboy
    This is not a goodbye to parasites, unfortunately. It is only a goodbye to publishers buying space on a BHO from parasites. If you own the app, you are still free to run amuck.

>>>If you own the app, you are still free to run amuck.<<<

or even two mucks

What can be done against this 180 s-olutions/z-ango ??

I also have an infected notebook which I keep infected to sometimes study what is going on
    (though I hate windows, and its the only windows I ever sometimes open)..

It pops up cookie setting pages of CJ affiliate programs (incl footsmart and shoemall) when I
    click on banners for these merchants on my OWN pages...(setting the cookie for someone else
    of course)..

I NEVER installed anything willingly on this notebook that could have me gotten 180 solut-ions
    'search help'.

So, not only they steal my commish, they also infect my computer criminally..

Where are they located?? If in USA can't their be a class act?

I think they are a bit too widespread.

One program we used special customized landing links... and had NICE EPC... since they have
    a datafeed, we gradually changed to the datafeed links... seeing EPC drop from over 20 cent to about
    1 cent on the datafeed links.. . can't explain that also other than something like this z'ango
    popping up cookiesetting windows when ppl click links...that they can easily recognize... (or
    of course maybe the merchant has a problem in this case).

Anyway, what can be done against z-ango's criminal infecting and stealing commish,
    and where are they located?

Quote Originally Posted by shmoogle
    Where are they located?? If in USA can't their be a class act?
    Kirkland, Washington

http://www.whois.sc/zango.com
    http://www.whois.sc/180solutions.com

Didn't CJ already dump 180 Solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Didn't CJ already dump 180 Solutions?
    Yes - but I think the point shmoogle is trying to make is even though they are out of the network, their technology is still causing problems. We sent out an email last week that explained our policy on publishers buying keywords or other distribution via these types of software products. As we identify publishers doing this, we will take action.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Indeed, they (now) sell the popups to (black-hat) affiliates of CJ and other networks,
    like a criminal evil twin of adwords. They get installed in all possible kinds of ways,
    and pop up other ppl's ads when they click on YOUR links, nicely doing it after your page
    fully loaded, and then setting the cookie for someone else.

This must get stopped. Nice CJ is taking action now on this.. So... if we all try keep an infected
    PC around and report a few SOB's each week, we'll get rid of this infestation ??

(Must study the cookies and report the scum who is paying 180 etc of course, not 180)

Quote Originally Posted by shmoogle
    Indeed, they (now) sell the popups to (black-hat) affiliates of CJ and other networks,
    Adbrite has a bunch of zango ads in their rotation of network ads.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Indeed, they (now) sell the popups to (black-hat) affiliates of CJ and other networks, like a criminal evil twin of adwords.
    They've always done that, just that now this is their only access to get into the affiliate market and so the incedents of this occuring has risen a lot more, hence the reminder from CJ that it's not allowed.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Just my 2 cents,

I was always listening to the talk of that other "parasitic side"

so I decided to make the change and "try" the other side....

I'm just posting to clear the status quo that parasitic software is stealing tons of affiliate revenues.

I believe CJ when they say that only a small insignificant portion of transactions come from parasitic sources. I know this because when I tried, 180 solutions ($100 free trial), for example, I got HORRIBLE results for everything from mortgages to ebay to netflix......

I hardly stole affiliate revenue doing what I did, so please save the flaming. I did this as a research tool to see what the "parasitic" talk is all about. It's not all that much....

btw, for those who want to know, I spent $100 dollars in metrics direct, and I only got -ONE- mortgage lead, NO ebay reg's or dimes, NO netflix signups, no NOTHING else. Yes, my keywords are highly optimized, they are the same ones that do good in Adwords.........

--GOOD LUCK--

Maybe they took your advertising dollars and stole your commissions, too. Is that possible?

Hey all,

Shmoogle can you send me some screen shots and info on the 180solutions popup that you're getting from your FootSmart links. This behavior is not allowed in the FootSmart program and we will immediately remove any affiliate who is using this practice.

As many of you know the FootSmart program officially went "parasite-free" earlier this year. Since our announcement, we've found it harder to find this second layer of affiliates rather than the app providers themselves.

I thought we had it all cleaned up but unfortunately it looks like someone else has jumped at the chance. Any info that you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    Matt

Matt Kennedy
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    FootSmart

FootSmart still shows up in the TopRebates list.

Justsue, you are right...we are still listed there. However, I have been trying to get that removed. But rest assured that TopRebates has been removed from the FootSmart program.

Question
    Does anyone know what this is?
    I was cleaning up html and tightening the body so as to leave no empty lines which may irritate the bots. Suddenly I could not draw text up the page to fill an empty line. Although the line was totally blank, when I highlighted the empty line it performed as though there was text there. When I deleted the empty line, I then could draw my copy up to fill that "empty" line. (the same holds true with several other sites of mine) Is there such a thing as invisible text? Could this be some kind of parasitic code planted onto my site
    Terrie
    Moonbeam Mega Mall

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by holyearth
    Just my 2 cents,

I was always listening to the talk of that other "parasitic side"

so I decided to make the change and "try" the other side....

I'm just posting to clear the status quo that parasitic software is stealing tons of affiliate revenues.

I believe CJ when they say that only a small insignificant portion of transactions come from parasitic sources. I know this because when I tried, 180 solutions ($100 free trial), for example, I got HORRIBLE results for everything from mortgages to ebay to netflix......

I hardly stole affiliate revenue doing what I did, so please save the flaming. I did this as a research tool to see what the "parasitic" talk is all about. It's not all that much....

btw, for those who want to know, I spent $100 dollars in metrics direct, and I only got -ONE- mortgage lead, NO ebay reg's or dimes, NO netflix signups, no NOTHING else. Yes, my keywords are highly optimized, they are the same ones that do good in Adwords.........

--GOOD LUCK--
    First off, thanks for sharing your experiences on the dark side.
    It amazes me that people will use and trust this company with their advertising. If a company will steal from affiliates, merchants and everyone else, what makes you think they will not steal from their own advertisers?
    Your post drives this point home.

whatever software 180 was selling or causing to be downloaded/installed, they paid the installer sites for the time the app was installed up to the time it was unregistered and removed. removal may still require the infected machine to come back to a site for removal. in that case, the old version(s) of the app are still active on a lot of machines.

Hey Matt Kennedy of FootSmart,

Tell your competitor footdefense to stop popping this url over your site via Zango / 180:
    h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=footsmart.com

[Moderator, Haiko, others - this is not an affiliate url - do not remove it]

I didn't catch them stuffing cookies or secretly stealing commissions, but your competitor is using YOUR DOMAIN name (see URL above) to target ads it runs through Metrics Direct (same folks as Zango and 180 solutions).

My test computer shows zango popping footdefense ads over your site using the url above - obviously, their "keyword" is your domain name... and my testing shows they're intentionally targetting your site.

Suggest you hire this guy:
    http://www.gdclaw.com/insidegdc/whos...2238a728af8c04

He's been involved in several key cases where a company successfully defended themselves from being poached (as you are from footdefense.com).

Consult benedelman.org and affiliatefairplay.com to get this settled faster.

Need a movie of it happening, I'll have it on file... but you should really be testing for parasitic activity yourself... to protect your affiliates and your own sales as well.

Footdefense parent company is acor.com - have your lawyer contact them here: http://www.acor.com/Contact%20Us.htm

And they are by NO MEANS the only entity using 180/Zango to pop over your site.

I'm not an affiliate of yours, so I can't donate my time towards further investigation of poppers and the specifics of how your cookies are recording referrals - but you've got people popping ads on/over you lots.

I've also seen something weird here - you need to get an expert to review this further. A regular offsite computer I have shows me what appears to be your own internal inhouse referral code (where there's no referrer and you rightfully don't have to pay an affiliate for a sale). On my test computer, I see some Zango pop-ups writing this same referral code. So either you're running a zango campaign on yourself (which hurts your affs - and is too easily noticed and caught to be true!).... or I am mistaken about your tracking methodology (likeliest answer here!!! I only checked this out for a short while)... or a cheating affiliate was so stupid he left his aff code out of the url string when he set up his metrics direct popping campaign... or someone is trying to make you look bad (for $100 offer thru Metrics Direct a rogue can make it look like you're trying to screw your affs). In any case, you may want to look into it... check your logs for this url that's popping thru Zango:
    h**p://www.footsmart.com/default.aspx?perf=1&keyword=%2Efootsmart.com%2E

Donuts,

Thank you for the info. I do monitor 180 on a regular basis. These must be fairly new programs that they are running because they weren't there the last time I did my internal testing. I will take the appropriate action against footdefense.com.

As for the other URL, that is not an internal URL. We do not view folks like 180Solutions as a viable marketing channel for affiliates or ourselves. However, it is from another third party program we run. Rest assured that this will be stopped immediately.

Thanks again. These will be dealt with swiftly and decisively.

Matt Kennedy
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    FootSmart

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Tell your competitor footdefense to stop popping this url over your site via Zango / 180:
    h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=footsmart.com
    Or you could have some fun with them and type in URLs like this:
    h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=footsmart.compoachingisillegal
    h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=footsmart.comhasproofthatyouarepoachingtheirdomain
    h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=youwillbesuedbyfootsmart.com

If they analyze their logs, this will get them the message. Just my twisted way of thinking

Everyone type this below:

h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=footsmart.compoachingisillegal
    h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=footsmart.comhasproofthatyouarepoachingthe irdomain
    h**p://www.footdefense.com/shoes.htm?source=md&keyword=youwillbesuedbyfootsmart.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Matt said:
    As for the other URL, that is not an internal URL. We do not view folks like 180Solutions as a viable marketing channel for affiliates or ourselves. However, it is from another third party program we run. Rest assured that this will be stopped immediately.
    This brings up a good point. It's becoming more and more common to see the parasites run their ad inventory through other parasites (ie 180 ads through parasite X and parasite X ads through 180). It's also becoming more and more common to see media buy ads for a Merchant show in the parasites that have maybe filtered through 3, 4 or 5 different Ad Networks before they hit the pop up. Either situation can make finding the 'how and why' a Merchant popped through a parasite they have no direct relationship with a bit more complicated.

In these types of situations it's helpful to be able to provide as much information as you can to the Merchant. Sometimes just the URL like Donuts posted can nail it down for them because of the parameters in the URL. Sometimes not. If you started with a clean cookie folder for the test, then a copy of all cookies set can be helpful to the Merchant. Sometimes the video will but many times not when it's passing through multiple Ad Networks as those many time don't show in the browser. But provide the Merchant with as much information as you can.

Having good lines of communication open with Merchants like Matt who have publicly stated their intentions are a 'parasite-free' program is probably the most valuable tool for an affiliate. At least I've found this for myself. 99% of my communications with Merchants along these lines is directly with the Merchant. For me, this is where I get my own best results and many times during the course of the communication one or two other issues wind up coming to light and being addressed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast