Got at least 10 of these today...
    I'm sick of getting this email. I don't even have a PayPal account.
    (when I view the source, it's a .de address- Germany?)

Dear valued PayPal® member:
    It has come to our attention that your PayPal® account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.
    Please update your records on or before July 09, 2005.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal® session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your PayPal® records click on the following linkURL here)

I've deleted at least 10-15 of them today.
    Getting There Is Half The Fun! Staying There Is Half The Battle!

I know, they're totally getting worse too. And the crazy thing is that they keep making it through my SPAM filters.

Half the time whoever is sending these isn't even clever enough to mask their email address. The last one I got was from Like as if paypal sends their emails from that address.

However, if people didn't fall for it they prolly wouldn't keep sending them.

Also, those eBay ones are pretty clever as well if you've seen those...

Update Your Account Information Within 24 Hours

Valued eBay Member,
    According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your account will be suspended within 24 hours for investigations.

Never share your eBay password to anyone!

Establish your proof of identity with ID Verify (free of charge) - an easy way to help others trust you as their trading partner. The process takes about 5 minutes to complete and involves updating your eBay information. When you're successfully verified, you will receive an ID Verify icon in your feedback profile. Currently, the service is now available to residents from every country.)

To update your eBay records Click here:

And the links are all ebay affiliate links to the signup page. You'd think the eBay affiliate program would be able to catch those guys pretty quick. Maybe they will.

These are so bad. I actually had somebody hack my server and upload a script that sent these emails. I couldn't figure out why my load averages were so high until I checked my mail server. It was working overtime and I was receiving AOL error messages telling me to stop sending spam. Fortunately I wasn't blacklisted and stopped this person before it got too bad. It seems they installed a package script that included a fake Paypal, eBay, etc. homepage with a form. I checked my logs and saw a couple people visit this page after reading the email. Fortunately for them, they didn't post the form. They knew something was up after seeing the domain and fake login form. I suspect there are script kiddies running around with these packages looking for the slightest exploit in order to use your server to steal money from unsuspecting people. It's just so wrong.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

It's a PHISHING SCAM..
    Caused By PAYPAL ignorantly using the email associated with the account as the account name.. so in all the PAYPAL links - your e-mail is right there for PHISHING SCAMS like this to take and try to get you to "UPDATE" your info..

If you do not have a PAYPAL account then you will still sometimes get an e-mail from these scumbags.. they usually get it from your website or the WHOIS info for your domain.. Just delete it.. or forward it to SPAM@UCE.GOV that is about all you can do..

I send a copy to eBay..
    Since they own PayPal I thought I'd give it a try..

I sent to got this return:

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished" messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or financial information from the recipients.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email to the appropriate authorities.

In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit information such as your credit card number or your email password. If
    you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, open a new
    Web browser, type into your browser address field, and
    click on the "site map" link located at the top the page to access the
    eBay page you need.

If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay,
    please forward it immediately to Do not respond to it or click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or
    change the email in any way when you forward it to us.

If you have already entered sensitive financial information or your
    password into a Web site based on a request from a spoofed email, you
    should take immediate action to protect your identity and all of your
    online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page with valuable
    information regarding the steps you should take to protect yourself.

o help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites, we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard." Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal Web site or a known spoof (or "phishing") site, buttons to report fake
    eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when
    you may be entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard go to, click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then
    click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
    Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

eBay SafeHarbor
    Investigations Team
    Getting There Is Half The Fun! Staying There Is Half The Battle!

These emails have been going on for as long as I remember... apparently they are still working.

Affiliate Manager
    Another bad thing about them is that you can get a legitimate email from PayPal and just delete it because you get so many fake ones. Happened to me and I got my PayPal account froze on me because I didn't respond to an actual PayPal email... Luckily PayPal is not that hard to get your account back.

Another bad thing about them is that you can get a legitimate email from PayPal and just delete it because you get so many fake ones.
    Between the fake banks email, fake eBay emails, all the regular daily Spam and since I was not using PayPal that often, that was one of the reason that I closed my PayPal account a year ago, but I still get a few of those emails almost every week.

Internet Cowboy
    I have gotten two today that appear to be from eBay with a login form in the body of the message asking me to login and confirm my information.

Being the savvy web shopper that I am, I entered by eBay information:
    Password: yourmamma99

Gmail had disabled the form though, so I was not able to pass this valuable information to them.

Another third-world phisherman at work.

I would not click on a link even to post a kind remark on the spammers state of health. You are just asking for a drive by virus or spyware install at best or confirming your IP and other data for a live hack. Bite your tongue and bin them.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread