Is It Just Me?
    I just downloaded an updated feed from activek9 at sas. The feed has *only* a little over a 1000 products.

Their category listings are terrible. There are two - Home/Family with a subcat of Pets. When I first did the original feed I went through every item on the list and categorized it (i.e. leashes/collars with subcat of collars). That took me forever! (I couldn't imagine doing this with a bigger datafeed.) Am I going to have to do this every time they update the feed? I don't understand why THEY can't categorize it better so I don't have to do this by hand each and every update. Are all datafeeds like this (meaning I am going to have to customize each and every item in the feed)?

I use webmerge (until I can get the hang of this php thing). Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to handle this? This is my first datafeed - are they all this much work? I read somewhere (can't remember where) where some guy said all he did was import the datafeed into his mysql table - he didn't do any customization. I can't imagine doing this with a feed that has such poor categorization - how would any visitors find anything on your site?

Feeling frustrated.

Peace and Blessings,
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

Unfortunately, poor categorization is common in datafeeds. While most merchants have a good category hierarchy on their site, many don't include that same information in their datafeeds.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Use excel to sort/clean but before you start run macro recording so the next time you need to do it you just run the macro and voila.

Kili

Hi Kili,
    Can you explain that? What does it mean to run macro recording?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I use webmerge (until I can get the hang of this php thing). Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to handle this? This is my first datafeed
    I too have a couple of merchants with bad datafeeds, so what I do is, I first try to clean it, but if it's too much time consuming the first time, I just don't use that feed, not because it can't be cleaned but, because I will not going to waste a lot of my time with that merchant every time that the feed has to be updated.

The second thing I try is to use the SaS make a page with that merchant and if I am able to make a few products table with their catalog, then I make a few pages by hand and use those new tables with products in my own personal unique way.

As a last resort, I just use some links and banners from that merchant and put them on any hole I can find on my regular pages.

..... But, I will only go through all that pain if I really like to work with that merchant, otherwise I just leave that merchant on the bottom of my things to do list.

Sal.

And that's the advantage of merchants with bad feeds. Very little competition.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just got back from my j.o.b.
    Here's the method I used:

First time I downloaded I cleaned, i.e. eliminated extra columns and sorted according to description.

I then went through each item, inserting a main category and subcategory (if necessary.

Now my feed is perfect - yippee!

Feed is updated so I import NEW feed into excel (rename it to include current date), remove extra columns and sort according to description.

The out of date feed, which has been cleaned and categorized, I open and give it a background color so I can tell the two apart.

I copy and past the old feed at the bottom of the new feed.

I then sort according to description.

NOW, theoretically, this should work. I should have a row with a background color of white and another row with a colored background, assuming this item has not been deleted. If there are two colored backgrounds in a row, one should be deleted because it is no longer being carried by the merchant.

HOWEVER, what I found was this:

1. Products stay the same but merchant has changed product numbers (so no can sort by that)
    2. Find rows that are two colored backgrounds in a row. Checked merchant, some products had NOT been eliminated. So this means I can't just go through and delete - I have to go to the merchant page and double check this has actually been removed.
    3. Some descriptions have changed, even if slightly, meaning they won't sort the same as before, so I can't just copy and paste according to the sort.

Gripe, Gripe, Gripe
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread