Hello All!

I've recently joined Wonderfulbuys.com and am in the process of educating all of the folks here on the dangers of Parasite and Spyware.

I've gone through and eliminated the ones that I'm familiar with... and that I've found so far.

Any assistance you can give to help us clean out the baddies would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
    Director of Marketing
    Wonderfulbuys.com (CJ)

O.k., so I've cleaned out a lot of the baddies that I'm familiar with... so far, so good.

Any new ones that I should be on the look-out for?

The cleaning continues, found a few Cookie-Stuffers and such.

If anyone notices anything suspicious, please contact us so that we can investigate. Until such time as CJ decides to start dealing with this issue, I guess it's up to us to handle it.

We have also posted a very clear "No parasites / spyware / cookie-stuffing / spamming " policy in our Terms & Conditions of the program. This will continue to be evolved as we find new issues / problems.

Thanks, so far, for all of your help, both on here and through PMs... I really appreciate it.

quote:
    If anyone notices anything suspicious, please contact us so that we can investigate. Until such time as CJ decides to start dealing with this issue, I guess it's up to us to handle it.

If only more merchants were smart to this also we would eliminate this stuff Thanks Paul
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

My pleasure. I wish it wasn't something we all had to invest so much time in (as in someone else, perhaps a trusted third party, would regulate this on our behalf)... but until then, it's a necessary evil to deal with the unnecessary evil that's out there in the affiliate world.

OK, question. Once you are rid of the problems there may be some here who would be interested. Do you have any plans to provide a data feed outside CJ?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Paul your pro-active affiliate practices are appreciated as ALL the ABWer merchnats need to raise holy Hell with their networks for allowing rogue affiliates to rape merchants pocketbooks.

Everyone here concentrates upon how the cookie stuffers -BHO's and deplorable SEO/SEM tricksters effect their commission potentials. The merchnats and networks should also focus on how the Adwhore spyware/adware perps destroy the normal working of shoppers computers.

Demanding NO affiliate bypasses the merchant/network generated link coding via scripts, iframes or BHO popups without a conscious PHYSICAL CLICK is imperative. The current network stances assumes S/W affiliates and domain bound cookie stuffers will self-police their greed driven exploits of the wishy washy rules. What a crock The perps are doing drive-bys and employing 3rd world hackers and virus writers to help spread their filth and prevent un-installs.

Friday 5 November 2004

Attack code exploits new IE bug

Security researchers are warning that exploit code is circulating for a newly discovered security vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser.

An error in the way IE handles some attributes of the "iframe" and "frame" HTML tags can be exploited to cause a buffer overflow and execute malicious code on a PC. The vulnerability could be exploited via a specially crafted HTML document including an e-mail message or a web page, according to an advisory from US-CERT.

The bug has been confirmed in IE 6.0 on a fully patched Windows XP with Service Pack 1 and IE 6.0 on a fully patched Windows 2000, according to an advisory from Danish security firm Secunia.

Programs using the WebBrowser ActiveX control, including Outlook, Outlook Express, AOL and Lotus Notes, may also be affected.

While Microsoft has not yet issued a patch, the bug appears to be a selling point for the widely touted Service Pack 2 (SP2) - systems running SP2 do not appear to be affected.

The bug could be particularly serious because a working exploit has been published on public mailing lists, according to Secunia. Such an exploit could make it far easier for a malicious user to launch an attack.

Written by Techworld staff
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

We do have a datafeed outside of CJ (obviously not doing a good enough job letting people know about it...)

It can be downloaded off the Affiliate Support site, or e-mailed to you, whichever you prefer.

PM me your preference.

Paul

Hi Ecom...

Totally missed your post (I guess you were posting while I was writing).

I agree that everyone should work together to stop this kind of cruddy behaviour. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to stop.

I remember, when I was with Rugman.com, we dropped eBates, RugsUSA didn't. Even after several affiliates contacted them to discuss the Parasites issue, they kept going... and are - in fact - still on the eBates program.

This isn't ignorance, this is choice. And I, as a merchant, can't get CJ to shut down something that other merchants support.

It's a horrible, annoying Catch 22... and I wish we could find a solution...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread