Google Crawling nonexistent pages
    I just had a look at my logs, and the G-bot is requesting pages that arenít on my site and have never been on my site. The page names look like random characters to me. Like:

esvfvydtmuw.html rlluhyosmfzn.html and vwqaqbyyxt.html .

Its getting 404ís on all these pages. Iím double checking the links on that site to make sure no one has done something without my knowledge. The only other thing I can think of is that someone else is linking to these pages. Or maybe Google has gone nuts. Anybody else seeing this?
    But are you still master of your domain?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    maybe google wants to see how the webmaster handles errors / 404's?

search for the exact page names at google - see if they exist elsewhere, as a clue...

ABW Ambassador
    Or maybe they are fake links generated by somone who scraped your site and then "linked to it" but just really redirected, but the google bot didn't buy the javascript.

Try searching for the page name in Google using quotes. You may have to add your domain name. It should return all the pages that have that link (or the same text) on the page. If someone has a page out there with bogus links to your site, you should be able to find it. If you don't, then it's just another Google bug.

For example, a search in Google for the following: "www.alpha-ebiz.com/directory-list.php" (don't forget the quotes) returns a couple of forum posts where I pointed people to that page.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Thanks all,
    I canít find the links on my site, and no results for the pages in Google. Checking past 404ís these pages have never shown up and no other bots are hitting them. G even came back and tried to pull a couple more. Right now, my money is on a Google bug. Iíve seen some strange things with them lately.

This is interesting.

When / if you learn more, please post. I'll be watching my logs for signs of it here as well (none yet).

ABW Ambassador
    I am curious, how do you know it is google? By the ip or by the bot name? People could forge the bot name being reported, not sure why, but crooks always have some angle going on.

Chet

Chetf,
    I thought of that too. I ran a whois search on the ip and sure enough it was Google.

Another thing Iíve seen recently. A domain that belongs to someone I used to know, has shot up to a pr 7 with 181 back links. The strange thing is, thereís nothing on this domain. Just a coming soon page. The links come from pages about XML, Web Services, MACs and the like. Totally unrelated to the domain name and anything that has been on the domain in the past few years. Whatís more, the pages donít actually link to her domain. Iíve looked through quite a few of the supposedly linking pages, and not one link to her. So it looks like Google has mistakenly given some other siteís back links and PR to an unrelated and inactive site.

Quote Originally Posted by NewcastleB
    So it looks like Google has mistakenly given some other siteís back links and PR to an unrelated and inactive site.
    If you are right and if it is not one isolated case then I wouldn't want to be the one sorting out the Google Database to remove the corrupt/incorrect data.

Les

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Sounds like a cache corruption at Google.

Forecasted for post-IPO, many people predicted a cash corruption effect...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread