Whois Shows Traffic Rank
    Just went over to networksolutions to whois a few domains and I now see they are showing directory listings and traffic rank under the domain info.

One of my sites shows a traffic rank of 2. No idea if this is good or bad so I did a whois on google. They show number 1 so I guess 2 isn't too shabby. But this is one of my lower traffic sites, so where the heck do they get this info?

Along the same lines - I got a message from one of my merchants that I decided to DROP because of low payouts.. They emailed me back and said:

We would like to work with you since your ALEXA rankings show you recieve an "ENORMOUS" amount of traffic... LOL

I played along trying to get them to up the payout.. BUT I never understood the "RANKINGS" and what they mean or how they can determine how much traffic I recieve..??

Can anyone here shed some light on this subject?
    What do the RANKINGS in ALEXA and OTHERS -- actually MEAN..???
    NOTHING I SUPPOSE...

ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE...???

From what I understand, Alexa ranking only show traffic for those people that picked up the Alexa cookie. It is therefore a relative ranking and does not reflect your true traffic.

Hey, if the merchant is impressed with that, use it to your advantage.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    From what I understand, Alexa ranking only show traffic for those people that picked up the Alexa cookie. It is therefore a relative ranking and does not reflect your true traffic.

yes, Alexa rankings are not always of the real world. If you are already getting some traffic from those with their search bar installed, then hit your site a lot with your own browser with the search bar installed, your score will look very good.

The Alexa ranking system won't come of age until at least 80-90% of the world is using it.

OH -- Ok so it's based on an "ALEXA" Cookie from their TOOLBAR..
    LOL.. so it's about as accurate as a near sighted sharp shooter...

I did play along and act like I had TONS of traffic.. it still didn't make them want to up their payouts.. LOL.. I never heard back from them.. It was a waste of time anyway so no loss..

I just can't believe that people actually install "TOOLBARS" and crap...

I have a traffic ranking of 1 is that good or bad?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I just can't believe that people actually install "TOOLBARS" and crap...
    I've got 2 bars.

Google Toolbar: I first got it just to see PR, but I kept it because the toolbar's the easiest way to do a quick G search. But I hardly pay any attention to the PR part anymore, since it no longer seems to be related to my SERP ranks.

Alexa Bar: I installed that as a test after a different Alexa thread came up, to see how high I could make one of my sites rise in Alexa's ranks just by me hitting it a lot with the bar on. (Got it up to about 72,000 from a starting rank of 2,800,000, then it dropped back under 100,000...a really, really odd spike shows on Alexa's history graph now!)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist

You can be assured that everyone scanning their system with Adware/spyware removal tools gte to whack the Alexa data mining app.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I have noticed that that's the first cookie to get flagged by most spyware removal programs.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I've got 2 bars.

Google Toolbar: I first got it just to see PR, but I kept it because the toolbar's the easiest way to do a quick G search. But I hardly pay any attention to the PR part anymore, since it no longer seems to be related to my SERP ranks. ......
    Hey Leader, have you ever tried using search bookmarklets? I have one for each major search engine and I use them all the time. If you've never heard about them, you might want to check them out at www.bookmarklets.com. They are a very useful tool.

Here is more on Alexa ratings.

How are Alexa's traffic rankings determined?
    Common Questions

Alexa's traffic rankings are based on the usage patterns of Alexa Toolbar users over a rolling 3 month period. A site's ranking is based on a combined measure of reach and pageviews. Reach is determined by the number of unique Alexa users who visit a site on a given day. Pageviews are the total number of Alexa user URL requests for a site. However, multiple requests for the same URL on the same day by the same user are counted as a single pageview. The site with the highest combination of users and pageviews is ranked #1.

Alexa's traffic rankings are for top level domains only (e.g. domain.com). We do not provide seperate rankings for subpages within a domain (e.g. www.domain.com/subpage.html) or subdomains (e.g. subdomain.domain.com) unless we are able to automatically identify them as personal home pages, like those hosted on Geocities and Tripod. If a site is identified as a personal home page, its traffic ranking will have an asterisk (*) next to it: Personal Page Avg. Traffic Rank: 3,456*. Personal pages are ranked on the same scale as a regular domain, so a personal page ranked 3,456* is the 3,456th most popular page among Alexa users.

I have a couple of alexallent questions:

1) I noticed that Alexa let's you update your listing with some personal "Site owner" information. I couldn't understand what the risk/reward was for doing this. Anyone?

2) You can also list domains related to you - why would anyone do this? Is there a benefit?

Alexa's site was pretty anemic on these topics so when I don't see much sales pitch I get paranoid.

Comments?
    Last edited by asr_guy; July 13th, 2005 at 12:00 AM. Reason: just want the sig out.

Dern Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Got it up to about 72,000 from a starting rank of 2,800,000, then it dropped back under 100,000...a really, really odd spike shows on Alexa's history graph now!
    If you got that kind of time on your hands I got some fish for you to clean
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Alexa must have paid to get installed with all Internet Explorer downloads and the Windows CD installs. It gets flagged for datamining and peddling surfer habits to the IAB/DMA membership roster. Alexia serves only one master and is of no benefit to any websurfer getting snooped upon without their knowledge. Guess AM's feel it is relevent as it is an indicator of how many braindead surfers visit particular sites having never used a Anti-Spyware tool. Gives them hints as the those sites susceptable to BHO pops justifying their support.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Jones
    If you got that kind of time on your hands I got some fish for you to clean
    LOL the cleanest a fish'd get here, is if I poured some Mr. Clean on it and sent it back to you...

But if you think that took a lot of time, get a load of THIS graph...see if you can tell when I uploaded products and went through them to make feeds!

[Graph Removed]
    Last edited by Leader; July 25th, 2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: No need to keep showing a live "play-by-play" ;-)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread