Unhappy Parasite Help - If there is such a thing...
    If you were consulting someone on what to do to protect their site from parasites what would you suggest?

Reading everything recently posted makes me feel that there is very little that can be done unless CJ / LS and others control it on their end. Yet many of the high-end merchants use them and customers want their merchandise and if you do not offer them on your site people will go elsewhere.

It's become a catch-22 really...and very discouraging. But with the exception of discontinuing associations with large, popular and in demand merchants - are there other steps someone could take to try to at least control it some?

Is there any way to test what works and what doesn't?

Like I said, after doing this for four years I am reallllllllllly feeling discouraged, esp. after seeing my sales go from strong performance to almost zero in a weeks time. LS holding back payments only made things worse.

I am taking a very hard look at my site and considering options to try to make it less vulnerable to attack or just giving up and I'd love any feedback (in simple - for dummies) terms if anyone has the time.

Thanks,
    leeann
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Unfortunately until the merchant AM's no longer see any benefits from hawking shoppers from their competitors checkout lanes the B-a-HOs will exist in all their infamous glory. Moves are being made by the consumers to clean and protect their systems from bundling and drive-by installs which will impact BHO hijacked sales. Eventually those BHO's wanting acceptance will have to move from an OPT-OUT gotcha basis ...to a verified OPT-IN basis. Right now it's an infestation and re-infestation game using an army of sleezebag affiliate distributors.

Push Microsoft Anti-Virus on your shoppers as it gets daily updates and leaves the network tracking cookies alone.

Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    CJ / LS don't make it easy, but I would suggest you begin to document and expose those using unscrupulous methods. Bringing them to CL / LS attention will begin the weeding out process.

See my post #22 here for some tips:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=57974

=========
    OFF TOPIC
    =========

Donuts,

Future reference you can use the post number as a direct link to the thread

i.e. http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...48&postcount=4 links to this post

(you can do so directly by right clicking the number and copying the shortcut or by clicking it and then copying and pasting the url)
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Lightbulb
    How about creating a program/script that detects if parasites are installed on a system and steals back the links somehow

- Marc

Quote Originally Posted by offerfind
    How about creating a program/script that detects if parasites are installed on a system and steals back the links somehow

- Marc
    Im no expert on this, but I believe to do this you have to sink to their level.

What I mean is that you'd have to install a BHO to reset the cookies, but like I said, Im no export on parasites.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Affiliate managers and the network admins are tasked to protect their affiliates valid physical click cookies. Having fought the battle calling for longer return day cookies. before the prevelance of forced click BHO and cookie stuffings tricks, The network CEO's agreed Zero and 1 day cookie merchants were abusive to value-add affiliates.

Now I still see the networks pushing the same old spin that 90+ percent of sales occur within the first 24 hours.... BS. I repeat BS. With the explosion of merchnat cookie washing, affiliate cookie stuffing, and fresh cookie setting by BHO's on every pop, all coupled with those hawking coupons setting new cookies, adds up to the FACT that affiliate marketing reported sales have become a SESSION ONLY adventure.

92% of shoppers systems are infested. Couponers and deal site e-mailers out number non-incentive affiliates. Most PPCSE campaigns set fresh cookies over the return day cookie and often stuff competing merchnat cookies from the same click.

NET result is the actual sales made because of longer return day cookies get credited to those who work on a session only basis. I don't, and the thousands like me don't. Therefore merchants who require more then a session only cookie to close & credit a sale, end up paying ONLY those adept at setting fresh cookies. My solution is a Safe Haven Network model that exposes merchants to their sites actual published conversion ratio. No tricks needed to make money resulting in better pre-sell and focusing on the affiliates pages!!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread