I have a site about computer security. Plain and simple language about spyware, trojans, viruses, etc, for non-technical surfers. I promote and sell anti-virus and anti-spyware software as well as list sources of free software for the same purpose.

I built a page about parasites to educate surfers about how the thieves steal our commissions and also that surfers and shoppers are being spied upon by these parasites. I pose the question that if I allow a thief into my computer who steals from websites I visit, how can I be sure he is not stealing from me?

Without naming names, I outline some of the more common tactics of the thieves, and suggest that the surfer is a victim as well as my website is.

I got a little carried away and used terms like steal, thief, dishonest, devious, crook, etc. Before I upload the page, I'd appreciate any opinions from the group here, Will I be inviting lawsuits? Will I risk being banned from the major affiliate networks? Will it be regarded as hate speech? Thanks for the feedabck.

I doubt you'll be banned from the networks, but I know some merchants are overly 'sensitive' to libel, so make sure you don't defame them in particular statements.

See also - http://www.ldrc.com/LDRC_Info/libelfaqs.html
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks, Haiko. from the link you provided I get the follwing statement:

The statement(s) alleged to be defamatory must have been published to at least one other person (other than the subject of the statement) and must be "of and concerning" the plaintiff. That is, those hearing or reading the statement must identify it specifically with the plaintiff.

Since my page does not mention names, I don't think it would be identified specifically with a particular parasite company. I figured if one came after me for making generalized statements that would be tantamount to admitting guilt. But these guys can be vicious.

We have lots of rants here on the forum among ourselves. I want to get the word out to the surfers and shoppers. I think I'll rewrite my page in a little milder tone and upload it.

Anybody else have any advice? Thanks.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'll give you permission to use my copywrited terms ...Adwhore and B-a-HO. Might still spice up those pages
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

EcomCity, I like your copyrighted terms. Thanks for the permission to use them. I really want to put up a few scathing social comments exposing the thieves for what they are. However, I'm a little worried about jeopardizing my affiliate income from the opposite direction, like incurring the wrath of a network or merchant who thinks their program is fair and honest.

I see so much press about spyware. Lawmakers are groping around in the dark to define it and outlaw it. But I've never seen anything to indicate that the government recognizes the differnce between between spies and thieves.

Maybe I'll just create a new site without any affiliate links just to rant and rave about the thieves and link to it from several of my affiliate sites. I'll use your copyrighted terms.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can't spice it up better then this news link did on the 9th... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6689667/site/newsweek/ ..Dec 9th,2004 Is This Software On Your Hard Drive? ..How one of the Internet’s largest and most secretive adware companies really operates. With new regulations coming, will it really reform?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Very nice article. The reporter who wrote it names names, so I don't have to. I can just link to it. I notice that Haiko and Ben are also quoted in the article to lend authority.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread