HELP! My Keyboard Has Gone Crazy!!!
    Hoping someone out there can help me figure out what is wrong. I have a Dell laptop and for some reason, some of the time the keyboard does not work right and about 5 letter keys (always the same keys) show numbers instead of the proper letters. I have two identical laptops, so I exchanged keyboards and much to my dismay, the other keyboard does the same thing.

Any ideas, any suggestions?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

It sounds like you might have "num lock" on. I don't remember how to toggle it, but look at the special function pictures on your keys and it should be fairly obvious which one toggles num lock.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

My 18 year old son suggested the same thing just a few minutes ago and you are both right that it can trigger something similiar. And those num lock numbers do correspond to the letters if num lock was on. However, the num lock key is above my F11 key and requires me to hit the Ctrl button at the same time. What I am seeing is this happening randomly. I've been forced to blug in an old clunky keyboard just so I can type.

Any other ideas out there? I think we are on the right track, just need to figure out why it does it all by itself.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Maybe your keyboard driver is corrupt
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Thanks, Heidi. I'll try that next.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    Maybe your keyboard driver is corrupt
    Yeah, where is the Justice Department when you really need them.

Sorry. I silly.

Wish I had helpful advice.

Any other ideas out there? I think we are on the right track, just need to figure out why it does it all by itself.
    Since the other keyboard does the same thing, try to reboot the computer but, after you unplug it from the wall and waited about 5 minutes to reboot the computer again.

I had some weird stuff happening once long time ago and that was the way I resolved that problem.

Don't ask me what was wrong because, I didn't try to find out once everything was working right again on that date.

Sal.

If non of the other advice has helped you might want to go to your system/device manager/resources and make sure that there is no irq conflict with some other device.

Great advise all, thanks. Will keep trying. Wierd thing is it does not do it all the time and will be acting up, then cause problems an hour later.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I hate when the numlock is on... most of the time, there's a setting in the bios where you can tell the machine to always boot with numlock off... when i visit relatives, i change it just to mess with them... perhaps we're related?

I suggest ---

BTW, what five specific keys?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I did try that first, but since it happens on both keyboards, thought it something else. Exterior keybords work just fine. It is the strangest thing.

(I thought you were going to put a picture of a hammer up there actually). LOL
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    try to reboot the computer but, after you unplug it from the wall and waited about 5 minutes to reboot the computer again.
    With it being a laptop, you would also need to remove the battery for the 5 mins too.

Sounds like an intermittant stuck key issue to me... Haiko's blow thingy sounds like a good idea.... try turning it upside down and shaking it... it's amazing how much crap we collect in our keyboards - reminds me of a story, where my wife works... they took this guy's keyboard, flipped it and shook out the contents... and found teeny bugs in there!!

I'm a systems admin and some of my users have this happen occassionally. (We never had this problem until we migrated to XP.) The usual fix is a reboot of the computer. Have you tried rebooting and does that fix it?

Actually, I have not, but since it can happen periodically, like when I turn on the computer, I wonder if a reboot is the answer. I mean, I shut the laptop off during the day as I take it around town with me. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. More often it happens.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Once again, which keys?
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Here is what M$ says for keyboard troubleshooting:
    To download the latest drivers for your keyboard, visit the following Microsoft hardware Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/keyboard/download.asp
    The Keys Do Not Strike Correctly
    If the keys do not strike correctly, make sure that the keyboard is free of dust, dirt, and foreign matter.

Turn the keyboard upside down to allow for any foreign debris, such as hair, food particles, or dust, to fall out.

Microsoft recommends that you periodically use compressed air to blow dust out of the hard-to-clean crevices in the keyboard.

If you spill a drink or some other type of liquid on the keyboard, immediately turn the keyboard upside down to let the liquid drain out, and then mop up as much liquid as possible. Wait until the keyboard is completely dry before you use it again.

Do not take the keyboard apart. If you disassemble the keyboard, you may void the manufacturer warranty.

NOTE: If you want to use a vacuum cleaner around the keyboard, make sure that the vacuum cleaner is a "static safe" vacuum cleaner.

The Wrong Characters Are Typed
    If the wrong characters are typed when you use the keyboard, follow the steps in the "The Keys Do Not Strike Correctly" section of this article to clean the keyboard that are described under "The Keys Do Not Strike Correctly" earlier to make sure that no obstructions under the keys are causing this issue.

If the issue continues to occur, connect the keyboard to a different computer. If the keyboard functions properly on a different computer, then the port to which the keyboard was connected on the original computer may be damaged. If this is the case, contact your computer manufacturer to inquire about how to repair or replace the damaged port.

If the keyboard does not function properly on another computer, then the keyboard may be defective. If this is the case, and the warranty on the keyboard is still valid, then you can exchange the defective keyboard for a new keyboard.

To test key response on your keyboard, use MSKEY, a utility program that is included with the Microsoft IntelliType software. To use MSKEY, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type mskey in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Click the appropriate button for your keyboard's type of connection: PS/2
    USB
    3. Press various keys to verify that the pressed keys match the keys identified in the MSKEY window.
    4. When you are finished, click Exit.

NOTE: MSKEY utility is only included with the Microsoft IntelliType software version 1.1 or later.

Haiko, it is not doing it right now, but I believe it is the I O J K L keys.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Yeah, sounds like the Fn key is the issue

... and the M key also

See na na na na boo bo ... I knew the keys were the key!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Looking at my Dell laptop, those keys are the calculator keys, like TJ says, might be a Fn and Numlock issue.

Internet Cowboy
    Even Ron,
    I have done intensive research on this issue and my conclusion is that the cause of this stems from the bad energy flowing through your laptop during the recent LinkShare fiasco. I have not yet pinpointed whether the bad energy was incoming or outgoing, but as I see it, either way Messer owes you a new laptop. But of course, once he agrees to send you one you will have to wait six to eight weeks for it.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ron, if you need some ca$h for the new laptop, I could certainly send you some surplus Linkshare ca$h that I have lying around here!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Even Ron,
    I have done intensive research on this issue and my conclusion is that the cause of this stems from the bad energy flowing through your laptop during the recent LinkShare fiasco. I have not yet pinpointed whether the bad energy was incoming or outgoing, but as I see it, either way Messer owes you a new laptop. But of course, once he agrees to send you one you will have to wait six to eight weeks for it.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    You will have to wait until it is verified that you sent the message and really asked for a new laptop.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread