Compact Flash Cards
    Hey guys.

Can someone please tell me how long data will stay on a compact flash card when it is removed from a pda or a camera. I can't find this information anywhere.

Thanks

Probably forever..
    like a hard drive that has been disconnected and put in a box for a year.. plug it back in and there is your data from a year ago..
    Unless you leave it in your pocket and then do a load of wash..
    LOL then it probably wouldn't be there at all..

That's what I thought too. For my trip this July, instead of getting one 512mb card I want to get four 128mb or maybe even 10 64mb cards. I just don't trust one card. If one of the cards currupts, I will not loose all my pictures. Just the thought makes me cringe.

My FujiFinepix uses x-D memory cards. I have the 16MB that shipped with it, a 128MB and a 256MB. I keep a protective holder with me that keeps the spare cards, and am very happy with it. Definitely go for the multiple cards.

I also bought a card reader and keep it in my camera bag. Have USB, can burn pics anywhere there's a PC.

Is it a good idea to keep inserting and removing cards, I would be worrying about the camera connectors.

Why not but one of those small media reader boxes with a hard drive.

Trying a search for Media reader hard drive
    on Amazon throws up a Western digital one for $185 but I bet you do better than that.

When I went to Ascension Island earlier this year I took my laptop and downloaded almost every day, and as a result the one tip I would give anyone buying a new digital camera with over 4M pixels is to ensure it has USB2 support aaas mine only has USB1 and is so slooooow on download.

Lesl

Quote Originally Posted by webmarm
    can burn pics anywhere there's a PC.
    That's a pretty good idea. It will probably cost me a dollar or so to download and burn those photos on a cd every few days. I just hope I find someone that has a computer and a burner where I am going.

I've had a digital camera for several years, and I've never had any problems losing data on the card. (Wish I could say the same for film!) I went with one big card, and it holds about 300 pictures at the highest resolution. Sometimes I'll go six months without transferring it to my PC.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by abelony
    That's a pretty good idea. It will probably cost me a dollar or so to download and burn those photos on a cd every few days. I just hope I find someone that has a computer and a burner where I am going.
    Why not set up a shutterfly account and upload them there for free and safe keeping
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Why not set up a shutterfly account and upload them there for free and safe keeping
    Well, the thing is, I am going to one of the former soviet republics. I have been told there are fast connections to the internet but I won't believe it until I see. I will look into shutterfly though (I had never heard of them before).

One of the smartest ways to transfer images from your camera to your computer is to link them with USB and not even touch the card. Most cameras have a feature where you can edit and delete pictures without removing the card. I have a 512 mb sd card in my camera which I have not removed for about 2 years. Shutterfly by the way is a great resource (also fast and great quality). I had them make copies of a few pics I had and also made me a poster. Turned out wonderful!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread