ABW Ambassador
    Ebay Question?
    I am using the flexible destination tool and promoting a specific product. However when I do a search for the product someone who listed it a different way is not coming up in the big general list that I have for the product. Is there anyway to ad one listing to the list that I get when I use the flexible destination tool?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Infoseeker
    I am using the flexible destination tool and promoting a specific product. However when I do a search for the product someone who listed it a different way is not coming up in the big general list that I have for the product. Is there anyway to ad one listing to the list that I get when I use the flexible destination tool?
    OK, I finally figured out how to get most of the listings that I want in my list by using advanced search and making sure that the search terms are in the descriptions; not just the title. But when I search that way the url is REALLY long with many weird letters in it. Will that VERY WEIRD LONG url work in the flexible destination tool. The example that EBAY uses on that page is a very short simple url?? I just want to make sure that it tracks.

Until today, I've never used the Flexible Destination Tool. I've always just used the editor kit because it creates a list that somebody will more likely go down and bid more than once from. However, I've just added a forum to my website and spent all night going through all the emails I've received over the last five years to start posting at my site. And .... I've found that using the Flexible Destination Tool works better for creating a link within an answer I'm posting at my forum.

So, I finally had an opportunity to test them out. I just went to the eBay site and did a search on exactly what I wanted people to be able to find. I copied the URL of the eBay form and I too received a long URL. But, I went ahead and linked it in the forum, and when I clicked on it, it worked like a charm, so I guess that's just the way it goes, and you have to use that long list of letters at the end. Hey, it works.

Tracy,
    That's a good idea. I do something similar on my forums. I have a section for folks to come and chat about ebay auctions they may have won/lost or simply seen.

I will link to specific auctions and make comments like, this is a great deal or this seller is crazy if he thinks he is going to sell that item for that.. its a lot of fun and it works.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Until today, I've never used the Flexible Destination Tool. I've always just used the editor kit because it creates a list that somebody will more likely go down and bid more than once from. However, I've just added a forum to my website and spent all night going through all the emails I've received over the last five years to start posting at my site. And .... I've found that using the Flexible Destination Tool works better for creating a link within an answer I'm posting at my forum.

So, I finally had an opportunity to test them out. I just went to the eBay site and did a search on exactly what I wanted people to be able to find. I copied the URL of the eBay form and I too received a long URL. But, I went ahead and linked it in the forum, and when I clicked on it, it worked like a charm, so I guess that's just the way it goes, and you have to use that long list of letters at the end. Hey, it works.
    Hi Tracy,
    Thanks for your answer. I guess that I am concerned because when I search for the item using just the title search I get a short url like the one used in the example on the flexible destination tool page, but when I click the description box to search for the term in the description also, I get this long url. Did you use both the title and description box with your searches? Thanks

Okay, I just did some playing around, and I noticed that the more searches I do at eBay in a session, the longer the URL gets for each new search.

I opened a fresh browser window, then did a search for Nokia 6360 with the result:
    search.ebay.com/Nokia-6360_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Okay, I closed the window. I opened a new browser window and went directly to eBay. I did about five searches for other items, then I typed in Nokia 6360 again, and this time the URL was:

search.ebay.com/Nokia-6360_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

So, I would say to get the cleanest URL. Start with a completely fresh browser window and do the search and see what happens.

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I just did some playing around, and I noticed that the more searches I do at eBay in a session, the longer the URL gets for each new search.

I opened a fresh browser window, then did a search for Nokia 6360 with the result:
    search.ebay.com/Nokia-6360_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8.
    Yes that is the type of url that I get when I do a basic search which is the type that is used as an example on the flexible tool page. But even when I open a new browser window and I do a search that includes the title and description I get a long url. What do you think about that? I get a more inclusive list when I search within the descriptions and titles so hopefully that url will work??

I think it will work. I'll venture a guess that you could delete the '_W0Q' and everything after it and it will still work. I just entered only 'http://search.ebay.com/Nokia-6360' in a fresh window and the results came up fine. All that extra stuff probably isn't even necessary.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it will work. I'll venture a guess that you could delete the '_W0Q' and everything after it and it will still work. I just entered only 'http://search.ebay.com/Nokia-6360' in a fresh window and the results came up fine. All that extra stuff probably isn't even necessary.
    Thanks Tracy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread