Help with Statistics
    First post here. I'm in the education department of a children's entertainment company (Cackleberries Entertainment Inc.) and have been given the formidable task of formulating an affiliate marketing program.
    I have chosen Kowabunga because I'm more comfortable with certain aspects of their product not available through the networks. Plus Commission Junction were so poor with their sales/customer service when I contacted them for details that I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!
    Can anyone tell me how to find realistic statistics regarding afiiliate marketing. Such as the number of affiliates out there, percentage of online sales generated by affiliate marketing, etc.?
    I have to prepare a report for the major shareholders stating why this will work and any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.
    Best regards,

Take off eh?
    Maybe this should be moved either to the lounge or maybe even becoming a merchant.
    **edited to add**

And welcome to ABW honeybun
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Mansfield, TX
    Welcome to ABW!

I've moved this to the "Becoming a Merchant" forum.

Good questions. I'm not sure of any source for official numbers. Here is my best guess on the numbers, though.

Number of affiliates out there: Hundreds of thousands, at least. Perhaps millions. Unfortunately, most of those don't generate much business. Most of the major networks have in the neighborhood of 5,000 affiliates who generate enough for a check each month (typically $25 per month). There are probably at least 1,000 "Super-affiliates" (which is typically defined as an affiliate that earns at least $10,000 per month between all programs).

Percentage of online sales generated by affiliate marketing: It varies from company to company, but many companies that promote their affiliate program actively see 20% or more of their sales generated by affiliates.

One of the best things about affiliate marketing is that it's a totally self-sufficient method of advertising. You only pay for performance. If an affiliate doesn't generate sales, they don't get paid. If an affiliate earns $100,000 in commissions for you in a month, you have the sales to justify the expense.
    Michael Coley
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Come and join the private Affiliate Managers board here:
    (you'll need to be approved by the moderator)

A lot of managers there who can point you to resources and find answers to those questions.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread