Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    Dmoz
    What are all your experiences with DMOZ? When I do link reports on my competitors it seems they key is DMOZ. I have already applied, but nothing has come of it. Have you been able to get quality affiliate stores into DMOZ?

Most DMOZ editors are extremely prejudiced against affiliate sites. No matter how useful, unique, or relevant it is, most editors won't approve affiliate sites.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador

I tried with one of my content sites a few times, of course to no avail, not even a note.

Just for the heck I checked out the relevant editor's site, it looks like a pile of and is mainly devoted to sell his own 3 ebooks (I'll be happy to provide the link). The 'valuable content' he provides is basically soft sell. Of course my site is a lot nicer , more useful and would be in competition to his.

Needless to say, his is listed...

So, at least for me, its Dmoz

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    To get the flavor of how they run things, go to http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=39636

There was a Site-Submission forurm but they discontinued it recently - read at http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39116

So now, what [very] little you did have to check your submission is gone.

Don't hold your breath for dmoz, you will die.
    I have a site that is 100% usefull content that many users of the site have praised up and down with emails to me and since January it continues to not be listed (or continues to not be reviewed). Of course maybe they plan on reviewing it next year sometime.

Frankly, I wouldn't care how they did things except google and perhaps yahoo place so much value in their listing.

A thing to note: Just getting a dmoz listing will increase your google PR but it will not necessarily give you that much traffic. I know because I have a couple of sites in their directory. One would be much better off combining good shopper services and/or related content with a good selection of products and then using ppc to get your traffic.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Oddly enough, a couple of my content sites - where selling is actually secondary to the domain - got listed recently, after a zillion unsuccessful attempts. Further, dmoz just seemed to zip as I was using their search tool. Maybe there's some changes going on over there, I dunno. It would be nice if they managed to get their backlog cut down, but it sounded like they were heavily understaffed.

dmoz has the potential to give some merchants an unfair advantage over others. If your competitor is the editor for that category, then you need to contact someone else there with an inquiry regarding that.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

i got in DMOZ after 4 months, yes it got me more links.
    i had a PR6 before i got in, does that mean i will get a PR8 on the next
    up-date i dont think so!!!
    but to be honest i have no traffic from DMOZ at all.
    mind you i have a merchant site, not affiliate. though i do have good content also.

you can view my application to DMOZ here.
    its funny, i am amazed i got in.

http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34326
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Neil, I think your humor appealed to their higher intellects. Good for you!
    Good use of smileys - Sal would have no problem getting in if the application update forum were still there.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

My grandmother has been dead for more than 30 years.
    i dont think she would have mind.
    god bless her
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

Neil, you did a much better job than I at holding your temper. Well done. When I popped back in and asked 4 days earlier than 1 physical month, they made a smarmy caustic remark about the julian calendar, and I kinda lost it. There's one of those mods that posts there that has a real attitude. Fortunately you found one with a little patience.

the bit about waiting 5 years almost sent me over the edge.
    i think i got on around a month after that.
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

Like "Bob" of the movie "What About Bob" says when praising Dr. Marvin:
    "...we're just like ropes on the Goodyear Blimp...".

In the eyes of the mods, we are the ropes.

I had a site a long time ago listed in DMOZ 6/10 on Google...
    There was not much there to begin with but it had a nice design and some relevant info to the domain.. I also had a lot of .edu domains linking to it since it did have relevant content. That alone should have kept the site at 6/10.. NOPE the DMOZ listing was the only thing increasing the PR..

I didn't get any traffic from DMOZ and it wasn't getting much traffic at all..
    So
    I put a single banner on the bottom of the pages.. just ONE.. I thought that was going to be OK since I was already "IN"...

NOPE - they took me out quick.. a couple of days max...
    DMOZ is the worst of the BUNCH... their Site Reviewers are all a bunch of idiots..
    END RESULT... PageRank 2/10 BIG DROP... for a single affiliate banner...

----------------------
    DMOZ QUOTE -
    "Affiliate Links
    This is an affiliate relationship blah blah blah.. The person whose ID is in the link gets a commission from anyone who buys from the site after following that link. Affiliate links should never be added to the directory. "
    ----------------------

So forget about EVER being listed in DMOZ with any Affiliate links....
    It is SAD that other search engines put so much VALUE in the DMOZ listings...
    Have you ever tried to find something relevant in there..??
    Not much but a bunch of wacked out wanna be webmasters and their home pages leading to garbage... a lot of people think CRAP is relevant... I guess it would be if you were selling "Toilet Paper"...

AddHandler,

You must have an active editor for your category. I never thought editors removed sites from DMOZ and especially not for adding a single affiliate banner. It sounds like you just got unlucky with your editor. I have a site in DMOZ and it's been there for who knows how many years. I've got numerous affiliate links on this site and I don't expect it to ever be removed. Of course this is a large content site and only a small percentage of the entire site is devoted to affiliate earnings.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I never thought editors removed sites from DMOZ and especially not for adding a single affiliate banner. It sounds like you just got unlucky with your editor. I have a site in DMOZ and it's been there for who knows how many years. I've got numerous affiliate links on this site and I don't expect it to ever be removed.
    I had a unique site in Dmoz for the longest time, I was gradually adding aff content to it, which got it dropped recently. I'm thinking the editors are indeed active. Admittedly it was more than just a few banners.... I've since split the aff content from my own business and hope to get back in one day soon!

I've seen reference to people being able to get sites into dmoz quickly.... I'd like to find out how!

Affiliate sites - i.e. pure sales sites - aren't allowed into the ODP. Period.

However, affiliate links on a site don't mean that it can't be listed - virtually ALL sites carry some form of advertising. The guidelines say specifically that affiliate links should be discounted when the content is evaluationed, however in reality it's a bit more subtle than that..

..it's no good putting up sales spin and pretending it's content. Sure, the content might be unique and and there might be plenty of it, but if the only purpose of the content is to drive visitors to click on the affiliate links, then the site won't be listed either. As affiliates you *know* when you are constructing a site in that way - these are, after all, sites that *sell*.

Editors in Shopping and other related categories can usually spot an affiliate site from miles away. The same goes for dropship customers. Don't forget that these editors have probably seen far more affiliate sites than you have and are actually very experienced. Don't kid yourself - if you know it's just fluff and sales spin, then the editor will know it's fluff and sales spin.

Now.. there are a number of reasons why a site could vanish from the directory too. Of course, if your so-called content site is really a sales site, then that's one reason. But, also if your site is down or has had network issues, then it will be removed for a manual re-review. Also, sites sometimes get moved about in the directory, and this means that they can also get caught in a queue to be reviewed.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Not much but a bunch of wacked out wanna be webmasters and their home pages leading to garbage...~AddHandler
    I agree on this one. The site I got in there was my first attempt. The site my mother got in there, was *her* first attempt.

Both were quite obviously first attempts.
    Better efforts (both design and code wise) of mine have been ignored--even c*ntent efforts.

Now I don't bother with them at all.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

There is a lot of variation within DMOZ editors as to how many affiliate links are allowed. In some categories you will not find a single site hardly any type of ad. In other categories a certain amount of related advertising is allowable. There are some editors that feel we should just break our necks producing content for the www and not get a penny in compensation (and pay for hosting as well!). Other editors take a more realistic approach and end up including a lot more good sites. The inconsistency is maddening.

I have been looking around at some of the editors in different categories and it seems that some of them have the same types of sites that they are reviewing for DMOZ.. and of course all of their sites are listed in DMOZ.. so it must pay to be a DMOZ editor/reviewer...

The editor that was over my category must have taken the affiliate links way to seriously..

The question is though.. how did you know you were rejected? It could just still be sitting in the queue waiting to be reviewed, along the the two million other sites that are there (OK.. probably the vast majority of that is spam).

Even if you see a referral from the editor's side of the ODP (editors.dmoz.org) it's not conculsive proof one way or another.

I've got an article I wrote somewhere, but boiled down the advice is find the CORRECT category, write a description that COMPLIES with guidelines, submit ONCE or maybe TWICE maximum (if you get any errors/timeouts, then assume the submission failed). Then wait, and get on with promoting the site in every other way you can think of.

For content.. well, if your site is basically the same as other sites listed in the category then it may well get rejected simply because sometimes there are simply enough sites of that type listed. That happens more often than you would guess - there's no value to the visitor in having 20,000 sites that all cover the same ground.

Let me give an example of having too many sites - the ODP's Web Designers category has 16,319 and is mostly useless, with 6,889 "basic service" designers and 5,940 "full service" ones. Arranged alphabetically. Each category has hundreds of listings. So how do you use that to choose a web designer? Well, in reality you can't because there's too much information. Now consider that there are 17,000 listings waiting for review in the category, and imagine what it would look like if they were all listed. The problem here is that editors have attempted to be comprehensive in terms of listings, and have actually come up with something that isn't of much use to visitors.

So - in terms of a *content* site, you need a site that is SIMILAR but DIFFERENT from other sites listed in the category you are submitting too. In other words, you have something unique to offer the visitors. If you think of the ODP editor as being perhaps the harshest critic you will find - then a site that's good enough to interest the ODP editor will generally be good enough to interest visitors.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

oh and
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmoz
    Following discussion by, and consensus of Moderators and Administrators of this forum, we have chosen to discontinue site status checks effective May 21, 2005. Closure of the existing Site Submission Status forums will happen by this date, and we will not be accepting any new status check threads after this time. The submission status forums will be archived.

There were a number of factors involved in making this decision, but probably the biggest was that these requests were always beyond the mission of this forum. The original mandate of this forum was to put a better light on the ODP by allowing the public to interact directly with the editors. At some point the submission status requests seem to have taken over and almost become the focus.

Our feedback indicates that the information we are giving out really is not a practical help in the vast majority of cases. People want information we either simply do not have or cannot for confidentiality reasons give out. Therefore, despite our communications, the existence of the status check forum raises unrealistic expectations, leading to more frustration but no satisfaction, for anyone.

We also found that a large number of people have regularly ignored the "rationing" policies set up, and this problem is getting worse. Much of the editors' time here is simply spent playing monitor, and that isn't productive for the editor whose basic mandate is really to be building a better ODP, not monitoring threads on Resource-Zone.

Participation on this forum is a volunteer activity beyond being an editor on the ODP, so the number of editors who participate here often fluctuates. Unfortunately, this means that when there are fewer editors who are active here they naturally feel obliged to do even more work than we should expect of volunteers who ought to be spending their time editing anyway.
    ....might as well forget all about Dmoz now (IMHO)

- - - - - -
    Our feedback indicates that the information we are giving out really is not a practical help in the vast majority of cases.
    - - - - - -

Yes, telling someone to come back in five years may be misconstrued as 'non-helpful'.....

Yes, telling someone to come back in five years may be misconstrued as 'non-helpful'
    well done . lol lol
    thats my laugh for the day.

mind you . after they posted that, they let me on in a couple of weeks
    Shareasale Merchant 7191

Hey, I jump at any chance I get to use ecom's emoticon....

....which gives me an idea for a new thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    So - in terms of a *content* site, you need a site that is SIMILAR but DIFFERENT from other sites listed in the category you are submitting too. In other words, you have something unique to offer the visitors. If you think of the ODP editor as being perhaps the harshest critic you will find - then a site that's good enough to interest the ODP editor will generally be good enough to interest visitors.
    I totally agree with you here Dynamoo. I see this as a challenge. I want to blow them away with something simply amazing. I just want to get more sites in for the challenge of it, not the rankings.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast