View Poll Results: How long have you been couponing?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

3 14.29%

2 9.52%

2 9.52%
  • 1999 or earlier

14 66.67%
    Ok, let's have some fun. What year did you start your coupon site?

I really can't remember anyone pre '99. I remember a LOT from late 1999- early 2000. I'd love to hear from someone who was operating prior to 1999.

I believe my first setup was in early 1999, not on its own domain.

http://www.pricezilla.com

I started Fall of 1998. Didn't have my own domain yet, but started up the site for a hobby. It wasn't until it started to pick up that I figured I should get my own domain. Got that in 1999.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Started in 2000.. Really started learing SE's in 2001

ABW Ambassador
    I started actively in 2002. Trying to get into SE right now.

I first had the idea back in '97 or '98. Actually had a page up for a few days with a few codes. Wish I would've stuck with the idea. Would be making huge bucks right now.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    I've had my coupon site up since Feb 2002, thats when i started to do it full time. Had a couple of home page stuff before that.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

I started my Coupon Site in October of '02. I hit the ground running. I don't have enough traffic right now to justify being in business. But, I know the payoff is out there, and I see it coming/starting in the next few months.

ABW Ambassador
    How much traffic do you get per day? I started back in July 2002, got my first sale in September, and am now earning over $1,000 per month in commissions. So keep trying, it will pay off eventually (I hope)

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I started in 1998 as well, but didn't know how to optimize for SEs until a few months ago. My traffic has actually gone down over the years and I'm not sure why except for the plethora of other coupon sites out there. Wish I had found ABW a long time ago.

http://www.qponcentral.com

Well I have gotten about 1 million visitors to date since 1997 with 2 sites. But didn't start getting A lot of money till 2000-2001 Made a solid $2000 a month for couple months during that time.. then It slowed down, now it's starting to increase and hopefully I'll reach my goal of at least $4,000 a month in the next couple years or less so I can quit my job...:0).

URLS: Sorry but I don't show of my URLs cause I got a problem with people stealing my secrets.. of affiliate marketing. (html code) and ideas :0).
    Jason
    Santa Cruz

That's great, Jason! What brings you all your traffic? Do you do much advertising?

Well It's from shareasale.. I used to offer contests and stuff.. Probably will make some new ones soon, I get great traffic free from google, yahoo and altavista and msn. and ppc traffic used to from ppc search engines. , Had to change my way of advertising because findwhat ended up being non-useful now. So I'm starting other ideas. It doesn't hurt to try stuff new. Anyway that's it for me.

Jason
    Santa Cruz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How much traffic do you get per day? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I get about 80 hits a day. But, there is a reason for that. I started the site in October. My job at the time was rather demanding so I couldn't devote the time I needed to a coupon site. I ended up taking it down. Since I was still getting all the e-mails with coupons I decided to go ahead and build a mailing list using Overture. I started building a list and would send out the coupons I got in the mail that day. Well, this whole time my page ranking for the domain name was non-existant. I had graybars and 0/10 rankings. I was optimized also for Printable Coupons since that was the only page I left up in addition to my main page which was just a signup page for the newsletter. Suddenly I got a 4/10 page ranking. So, I went ahead and started the site again. It went up too late for the googlebot to include me this last time around. So, all of my traffic is for printable coupons. Those are the people who want freebies. That is why I think this next time around I should start pulling in 300-400 people a day who are actually looking for what I am promoting.

Oh, in the meantime, my company that I worked for lost their contract and I am out of work. So, I have plenty of time to devote to a coupon site.

How much taffic are you getting?

This also raises a question I have had for a long time. How much will traffic to a coupon site make in terms of commissions. If I had 1000 visitors who are "fairly" targeted (meaning they type in "shirts on sale" and show up at my site) What would that equate to? I know the variables are many but I'm just looking for a general idea.

Thanks
    Steve

ABW Ambassador
    I am now getting just over 1,000 unique visitors per day. I started back in September last year. However, this is my full time work. I am a stay at home dad who can devote quite a few hours per day to two different sites. The second site just went in to Google and I am getting almost 100 per day for that. Not bad considering it has only been in Google for 2 weeks or so.
    A lot of people are just looking around. So just because you get 1,000 per day, you can't expect as much as you would expect. However, with just over 700 to 800, I got over $1,000 in Feb, Over $1,200 in March with almost 1,000 visitors per day. This month I am getting back up to 1,000 per day (the first part of the month was more like 800) I expect just over $1,000 this month.
    It takes time and a lot of effort. However, it does pay off. This is my full time job, and I am going to add a site a month, or maybe more. With one site, I make $1,000 per month. The other sites will be far more targeted, and should be better.
    My jewelry site started with a page rank of 3, and after only 2 weeks I am getting 100 per day (no sales yet though)
    My mall type site gets a lot of untargeted traffic, people who are just looking, but $1,000 a month for less than 1,000 visitors per day doesn't seem too bad does it?
    How much do other people make per 1,000 visitors?
    Keep at it Steve. Good luck!

That was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better answer. I am so looking forward to this next update.

I also started in 1998 with a site just for fun, and got my own domain in 1999. I get just under 2000 uniques per day, but don't make much $$. Seems I have been forever stuck in that chasm between working full-time and making enough to quit. It's a catch 22! But I am pretty much addicted to my site, so I keep plugging away

ABW Ambassador
    How much do you make on 2,000 a day?

My site has been up for about 2 months. My first month I made $12. Last month I made $495 with traffic from google ad ($40 worth)I am only getting about 30 -50 visitors a day. but this month I am up about $650. I hope to hit the $2000 mark withen the next couple of months. My site is currently done with phpnuke which I will be changing cause I am not getting picked up by search engines

Game Mint

Like I said, not much. I still need my day job.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread