Smile jewelry affiliate program advice
    Hi everyone,

can anyone advise of some decent jewelry affilliate programs that are worth the effort of partnering with? Likewise are there any you think I should stay away from?!!
    I'm looking to target lower, mid and upper product ranges - not just loose diamonds etc

Also I'm a little confused as to how to pre sell these chosen merchants.
    Do you think I need to go down the shopping cart route - or go for "buying tips" and a content driven approach?

Also a couple of merchants have come back to me and advised that an average conversion of 1/300 seems to be about the norm for jewelry - do you reckon that is about right? I see some people here saying they have had conversions of less that 1/3000!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

foxtrot,

Don't know how anyone would answer this question, as advertising as such is prohibited in the forum. Try utilizing the "Search" function, searching for "jewelry affiliate program" or "jewelry". And make sure you ask people what programs to stay away from! Negative advertising seems to be appropriate... And quite useful too.

Geno

Hi Geno,

I'm not sure how that would be strictly "advertising" as I'm really looking for advice, in particular people's recommendations based on personal experience.
    Based on your definition I could find hundreds of posts here that are advertising.
    Almost defeats the purpose of an affiliate forum!

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot
    Based on your definition I could find hundreds of posts here that are advertising.
    And what's bad about this (finding hundreds of posts)? Read what people are saying in these posts, analyse, do your homework, and then ask specific questions...

What I'm saying is: quick lists of merchants are good, but also highly subjective. Affiliate feedback on a merchant is closely tied to how active that particular affiliate has been with that particular merchant. It is experience sharing that you are looking for, aren't you? If so, ideally (for a thorough list of trustworthy jewelry merchants) you would want a list from an affiliate that tried them all...

Best of luck in your quest, foxtrot!

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi;

First, I manage the site, myirish jewler.com, (celtic jewelry) run on SAS.

Second. the most effective means to market any site is to build a site for that merchant or around a specific theme and then use their data feed.

Running a banner farm site will very seldom make you much money but if you design a well laid out site that ranks well in the SE's and promotes only 1-3 products you will find it works best.

This goes for any products.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

ABW Ambassador
    >>can anyone advise of some decent jewelry affilliate programs that are worth the effort of partnering with?

I'm fairly new and green (sorry Richard, no Irish pun intended) to the whole thing, but trust level is important for *any* type of program. An anti-parasite stand impresses me, so does active support from an AM - not hand-holding, just sincerity and if something's broke, will they get it fixed.

>>Likewise are there any you think I should stay away from?!!

Yes, but I can't and won't say which one - it is NOT anyone from these forums, that's for sure. I can say to look through the SERPs thoroughly for the keyword set you'll be targeting and if you find merchant landing pages ranking that look like they're there for AdSense income, pass them by.

Also, if it's *obvious* that they're running their own affiliate site(s) to drive traffic to them ( like for AdSense income), run. You do not need to send a site traffic so customers can click on the merchant's AdSense.

>>I'm looking to target lower, mid and upper product ranges - not just loose diamonds etc

Big difference with *anything* low end or high end, you can't compare them or expect the same kind of return for expensive stuff as you can for what the customer can get an armload of for $100.

There's more of a potential return on high end stuff, so you can expect it to be more competitive at the search engines. You can look for yourself and see - just get your keyword list ready, do the research and go for what you think you have a chance of competing for at least half-way decently at whatever SEO skill level you're at, or how far up at the engines you think you could push your site(s) at the moment.

>>an average conversion of 1/300 seems to be about the norm for jewelry - do you reckon that is about right? I see some people here saying they have had conversions of less that 1/3000!

I had a very lucky *accident* with a sweet little rock selling after 1 out of 30 clicks - but I'd be delighted with 1/300. I've got no idea how it happened, but I'd also like to know what it takes to pre-sell for conversions on high end goods, as opposed to the cheap goods it's easy to move that you get $1.70 per sale for.

Is it design? Type of "voice" used in the copy? You can sell them baby booties to keep those "sweet little baby toes warm and toasty" but somehow I don't think that works for platinum engagement rings.

Added:

>>>>>Second. the most effective means to market any site is to build a site for that merchant or around a specific theme and then use their data feed.

Running a banner farm site will very seldom make you much money but if you design a well laid out site that ranks well in the SE's and promotes only 1-3 products you will find it works best.

This goes for any products.<<<<<

Richard, that sits well, like it's definitely advice worth taking to heart and following. I think maybe I've been trying to push too broadly on a couple of sites that *hit* for narrow areas. It might be best to leave well enough alone on those and just put up another site to target another narrow niche area.

Taking Irish jewelry for example, you mean like *not* doing all of it and adding a bunch of other Irish stuff on top of it, but narrowing it down to something like silver or men's celtic jewelry? Or would just using an *Irish* theme with other products also help to cross-sell?
    Last edited by webworker; June 15th, 2005 at 10:31 PM.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Web worker.

If I was going to do a site,

Example: say on an Celitc /Irish theme... LOADS of information as that is what will get you ranking in the SE's, not just links for things for people to buy

Offer information on the history of Celtic jewelry, what does it mean, where are its roots, with links to a site that sells Irish jewelry (hint hint)

But more
    offer links to hotel bookings in Ireland
    Links to Irish fesivals
    links to anything Irish that you can find
    links to news items that change with the days
    Run a forum on all things Irish
    links to...
    make your site the site that one HAS to visit for all things Irish. Get the idea?

Optimixe your site
    then....

Apply this to anything you want and that's what will work.

Themes!! Niche products... plenty of people going for the big sellers but there are thousands of products out there to sell. Just take a look thru the merchants at SAS and Linkshare and find something that strikes your fancy and run with it.

Good luck
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread