Who wants a forum
    I have a general forum site, with a few forums and no postings so far. The problem is starting it and monitoring abuse etc. It has been online for a while, but I haven't promoting it yet.

Now I know how to start it. This is my offer for you :

You can become a free forum master about almost any subject you like.
    On top my Google Adsense and one of my affiliate links on each page.
    Right column, your affiliate links on each page. Thumbnails if you like.
    If you want, a thread with your recommended products or reviews or special offers.
    You have complete control, except layout (I want one layout for the whole site).
    There will be a closed forum masters forum. For instance tactics, problem solving, postings for starting new forums, ......

Not possible :
    Adult, hacking, abuse, affiliate marketing (We have ABW)

Forum pages are search engine friendly, so all content can be spidered. Although there is no content yet, I do have the major search engines visiting the site. As soon as threads are starting, spidering will be fast.
    A general forum site will result in cross visiting.

One rule only, you have to be active. Claiming a forum and not properly starting it, will not be allowed.

PM me if you are interested. Let me know which subject you prefer. You cannot have "large" subjects like "cooking". You can have "Italian cooking". There is a max of 3 subjects pp. I'll send you the forum link if you are interested, but DO NOT post the url at ABW. For know it is a hidden forum.

PLEASE, this subject only. Don't start talking about the future of datafeed sites or whatever. Start your own thread. It is free.

A nice skin care forum, would suit one of my affiliates.
    you know who you are. why not jump on it ?.
    i would, but i already work 25 hours a day.
    it could be a good project
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Interesting idea, Uphill. I'll PM you with an idea....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Taken subjects :

Homeschool forum

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Moderating a bunch of other people's forums would be a nightmare.

Moderating a bunch of other people's forums would be a nightmare
    it would be a good little project for someone who is new.
    plus you get to put your affiliate links on
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

I am not moderating the forums. The forum masters are. There is a protected control panel for each forum for creating the categories, the option of blocking abusers, deleting posts, user control, etc. I only create the basic setup and put it online.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Uphill, can affiliate managers be a forum master also, or is this more geared to affiliates?

No problem, but not an affiliate forum. Affiliate forums should be at ABW.

Affiliate managers can also suggest their affiliates to start a forum.

The reason I want to start with forums, is my datafeed sites are dropped by Google. This will be final. Google doesn't want 10 million+ duplicate product pages in his index anymore. It is too much and visitors don't like this. And Google is not a private company anymore. Profit is very important now. If merchants are loosing sales because of this, they will start using Adwords more. If I owned Google I also would have dropped (my) datafeed sites. I also think the removing of my good looking datafeed sites is a loss for the Internet. But try to see the big picture. If had to happen.

But it is going to be worse. I think MSN and Yahoo are going to do the same one day for the same reasons as Google. And there is a tendency of doing what Google is doing.
    Maybe it never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would. Google surprised many of us already. The one who depends on datafeed sites (like me), should start looking for alternatives now. If you wait till drop day, your too late.

I have my doubts about blogs. They are a hype now and most of the time hypes are temporary. They will get out of control one day if one can earn money with them. As it happened with datafeed sites.

I think forums are a much more stable option. Look at ABW. The only thing he does, is grow. Forums are hard to start because visitors decide the development. The creator is only controlling it and not building it. There never be an overflow of forums. There can be empty forums, but not large useless ones. For the most, visitors are making a forum grow. It is a bit like seeding a good seed and guiding the growth. I can be something huge with little effort.

Imagine, a site with hundreds and more forums. And a forum for the creators. Helping each other will be better then in an affiliate forum because there is less competition because the subjects are different. It is easier to share secrets.
    One can create list's where to submit forums for instance. Each forum can be in DMOZ. A new forum can be jump started by other forum master if they all create an account to help the new forum. Search engines are already around. Pages are spiderable. Visitors can cross visit.

If you already have forum, start a new one with a different topic. For instance a barbeque forum. Categories : building a barbeque, how to barbeque, safety, recipes, party tips. Affiliate links to buying a barbeque, safety equipment, books, party tools. One direct link to for instance barbeque recipe books.

This my opinion and not a fact, so PLEASE don't start discussing datafeed sites, blogs, affiliates and search engines. We have done this many times and we never agree. This thread is about an idea for a new option.

Food for thought : Do you have a backup plan? Are you prepared if MSN and Yahoo are dropping datafeed sites. Maybe it never happen, but what if it does.

If you have questions ask them here.
    If you are interested, PM me. I'll send you the forum url.
    If you don't agree on my view on datafeeds, etc, start your own thread.

I think it is a great idea, Where do I sign Up?

Send me a PM. Let me know which topic you prefer.

I don't have enough posts to send or receive pm-s. I mostly lurk here. Any other way I could contact you - I am interested in a specific forum (if this offer is still available).

Just send you a PM. I think it is possible to receive PM.

The offer is still valid. I haven't paid much attention lately, because I changed server and Google dropped me big. Recovering is number one for now.

The forums site has a lot of potential and I think it is unique at the internet (this concept). It has many advantages, it is easy and has many options. There is only one problem and that is to get the first members. I have some ideas on that, but this part needs the most effort from the forum master. The rest is easy.

I have asked Haikio several times if I could post the url, but he is not responding. To avoid cancellation, I am not posting the url at ABW.

nope, I can't read the pm. I'll keep an eye out if maybe I can suddenly start reading them or haiko lets you post the url here.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't really understand why someone would do this. Why would someone want to start a forum with you when they can start a forum on their own and keep all the money for themselves? I could see how some might be interested if they were starting their own forum on an already active forum but not on one with 0 postings.

"I have a general forum site, with a few forums and no postings so far."

Because you need software and the free ones are mostly limited.
    Because not everyone can install a forum.
    If you don't have spider friendly url's it is harder to build it. That is why Webmasterworld is often high in search engines.
    Because I have spider friendly url's I have a few very high positions in Google with an empty forum !! Place 3 and 4 out of 4.5 million results for one phrase for instance.
    Because a visitor from one forum could be interested in another forum. Most have more hobbies.
    Because it is easy.
    Because one doesn't have to worry about backup.

The finacial part is : my Google ads and the forum master can post aff. url's or search boxes for instance. This is for the main pages and in threads.

Hilisa

New try. Send you an email through ABW. Didn't know this option.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with trust and am curious how these two quotes don't align.

Quote Originally Posted by Uphill
    The offer is still valid. I haven't paid much attention lately, because I changed server and Google dropped me big. Recovering is number one for now.
    Because I have spider friendly url's I have a few very high positions in Google with an empty forum !! Place 3 and 4 out of 4.5 million results for one phrase for instance.
    When the going gets tough - invest in yourself. Not into someone else's plan.

Chet

I agree not very clear, but :
    First quote are my datafeed sites.
    Second quote, the forum site.

"When the going gets tough - invest in yourself. Not into someone else's plan."

I am not sure if this is your signature or comment, but if a tool like datafeeds is around, we shouldn't use it? If someone else starts a database driven site, we shouldn't use it?

There are millions of datafeed pages. It had to happen that this would end. I have said this several moths ago. One day, Yahoo and MSN will do the same. I hope not by the way. Please don't start discussing about datafeeds. Not al agree on this and this topic is not about datafeeds. It is just my opinion.

I want to prevent going down and seeking other ways. Datafeeds are over in my opinion and creating quality content is not easy. And site copiers are everywhere.

A good forum will never be banned. It will never be seen as spam, duplicate content or will there ever been millions on them.

Comment my plans, be critical, but please stay on topic.

How much time does it take to run a forum? How would you know when a new post has been made other than checking it 24/7? Would it be moderated, meaning posts would not be in the forum until approved or what?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Depends on how important the forum is to you and how large the forum is.

The forum has many options, but I haven't found this one. But all new post are marked as "New" and there are tools for keeping an eye on updates.

This is up to you. It can be after your approval, after email verification, direct after signup or without signup. But without signup is probably too much spam, after your approval will take too long for the new member. He wants to post.

Besides that you can create private forums. Only readable after signup.

You have almost full control. Only layout can not be changed.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree not very clear, but :
    First quote are my datafeed sites.
    Second quote, the forum site.

"When the going gets tough - invest in yourself. Not into someone else's plan."

I am not sure if this is your signature or comment, but if a tool like datafeeds is around, we shouldn't use it? If someone else starts a database driven site, we shouldn't use it?

There are millions of datafeed pages. It had to happen that this would end. I have said this several moths ago. One day, Yahoo and MSN will do the same. I hope not by the way. Please don't start discussing about datafeeds. Not al agree on this and this topic is not about datafeeds. It is just my opinion.

I want to prevent going down and seeking other ways. Datafeeds are over in my opinion and creating quality content is not easy. And site copiers are everywhere.

A good forum will never be banned. It will never be seen as spam, duplicate content or will there ever been millions on them.

Comment my plans, be critical, but please stay on topic.
    I was on topic, while a good idea maybe for you. And people who don't know better might think it is a good idea, it isn't. This is investing in your site, not their own. Any work should be done on their own site, not someone elses who will maintain ultimate control and reap the ultimate benefits.

The tools and feeds benefit the site the affiliate owns, so yes they should use any tool which can benefit them. In the long run, the best investment is always to invest time and work in your own site.

Uphill, there is nothing stopping you from one day just locking everyone out and changing the links to your id, or getting bored and shutting down the site etc. Making any work on these forums a waste. At least with their own site, they control their destiny.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    "Comment my plans, be critical"

Your plan is to get a bunch of people to help you grow your forum, provide your forum with spider food when they can be doing this for themselves. Like Chet said, one day something might happen and you lock those people out that helped build your forum and you still have all that spider food and you'll still be making money from it.

"Because I have spider friendly url's I have a few very high positions in Google with an empty forum !! Place 3 and 4 out of 4.5 million results for one phrase for instance."

Empty forum. People should learn to build their own, make money for themselves. I can see how this would be great for you but not for the people helping you build it. And it's been 5 months since you started this thread and you still have an empty forum.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread