Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's a cool design.
    But that's also a cool code you linked to! I'll get some use out of that on the sites I'm stuck showing an email address on. I know people have said to use a JavaScript for emails before, but nothing like someone who provides the code
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You can stick the javascript in a form also when using a formmail script. I think I modified it a tad for that.

I've taken to leaving a warning on my pages that javascript must be enabled to see the email address. That way it's clear that if they don't see the address it's not because I forgot it.

I use PHP to generate "throwaway" addresses for mailto links. The address has the persons IP address and a time stamp in it, so that if I get a spam on that address later it's easy to trace it back to the jackarse that harvested it and go after their ISP.

It looks something like:

cu03aa511a_061505 @ mysite.com

the "cu" tells me it's from a "contact us" link, so I can filter the message into a folder in my email program.

the "03aa511a" is the hex version of the ip address, and of course the rest is the date.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by infospongellc
    I use PHP to generate "throwaway" addresses for mailto links. The address has the persons IP address and a time stamp in it, so that if I get a spam on that address later it's easy to trace it back to the jackarse that harvested it and go after their ISP.

It looks something like:

cu03aa511a_061505 @ mysite.com

the "cu" tells me it's from a "contact us" link, so I can filter the message into a folder in my email program.

the "03aa511a" is the hex version of the ip address, and of course the rest is the date.
    That is real clever, why didn't I think of that as I already have some Javascript of my own fo hiding email addresses

What a perfect thread. Just when i moved into my 'eliminate spam' phase.

Sticky. Bookmark. Favorites. Cool code at the posted url.

Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    Yes excellent idea. Although imagine going after all those harvesters. Most of them onsell the emails anyway, I certainly have better things to do.

I prefer to use a web form for all contact. Once a user submits using the contact form on my site they will receive an automated response but with a reply-to email address.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What the heck?! This looks like the last half of some other thread. My first post in this thread (dated June 15th) is obviously a response to something that's no longer here
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It was moved without the other bits.

For the js code: http://www.sitepronews.com/archives/2002/oct/23.html . The code for the contact form is on the next page of the article (link at bottom of the article).

Quote Originally Posted by real
    Yes excellent idea. Although imagine going after all those harvesters. Most of them onsell the emails anyway, I certainly have better things to do.
    It only takes a minute to send an email to a network admin somewhere.

Interestingly enough, when I first started doing that I got about 10 harvesters a week. Now I get about one a month, at the most. So it does have an effect!
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Javascripts work very good at hiding emails from email harvesting bots. If you're using a Javascript someone else wrote, make a few changes to make it unique, though. If a particular Javascript becomes really popular, the people writing some email harvesting bots may update their code to detect those scripts and reverse engineer them. Change variable names, change the order of things, change where the address gets split, change the function names, etc.

I have some sites that have had email addresses hidden by Javascript since day one and they get fewer than 10 spams per day. Most of those are to unlisted email addresses, so I suspect they're either dictionary attacks or addresses harvested from end users who might have sent or received an email to/from me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread