Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Crucial Smokes a Big Fat One
    Dear Crucial Affiliate: In order to streamline the online search experience for potential Crucial customers, we are bringing our search channel efforts in-house. Effective July 1, 2005, please remove all your Crucial search ads and refrain from: ??? Bidding on branded trade-name keywords (anything including ?????? or ??????) ??? Direct linking from a search ad (or affiliate/ splash page redirects) to??? Linking from search engines to memory pages that feature our affiliate links or that are selling our memory This change affects ONLY those affiliate Web sites that are engaged in search marketing. Please be assured that the affiliate program itself is thriving ??? we continue to be very interested in working with content sites to drive traffic and promote Crucial. (In fact, we are more than happy to provide you with site content.) We will continue to pay out and offer promotions to those affiliates who operate non-search marketing Web sites and who promote to their visitors and communities. We hope you understand that this effort to build a stronger brand.

It looks a lot better in CJ mail LOL.
    Effective July 1, 2005, please remove all your Crucial search ads and refrain from:.......Linking from search engines to memory pages that feature our affiliate links or that are selling our memory
    I'm kindo of tired but ... google has a page indexed that I feature Crucial memory on and which has Crucial affiliate links and I need to refrain from that?
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think perhaps they are referring to PPC search ads.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Yeah, I saw the thing in plain text first, the following made me laugh - as I'm sure it did to you!

"Please be assured that the affiliate program itself is thriving ???"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Crucial Smokes a Big Fat One
    Got this today. I bolded the parts I find especially lousy:

In order to streamline the online search experience for potential Crucial customers, we are bringing our search channel efforts in-house.

Effective July 1, 2005, please remove all your Crucial search ads and refrain from:
    • Bidding on branded trade-name keywords (anything including “Crucial” or “Micron”)
    • Direct linking from a search ad (or affiliate/ splash page redirects) to wwww.crucial.com
    Linking from search engines to memory pages that feature our affiliate links or that are selling our memory

This change affects ONLY those affiliate Web sites that are engaged in search marketing.

Please be assured that the affiliate program itself is thriving – we continue to be very interested in working with content sites to drive traffic and promote Crucial. (In fact, we are more than happy to provide you with site content.) We will continue to pay out and offer promotions to those affiliates who operate non-search marketing Web sites and who promote Crucial to their visitors and communities.

We hope you understand that this effort to build a stronger Crucial brand. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Jared Williams at [address]
    In other words, they don't want any sites or methods that have too high of a sales-to-branding ratio!!! And before anyone says that content is a good method of sales, check that last (bolded) part! Jared even OPENLY ADMITS TO this change being a BRAND BUILDING effort!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Internet Cowboy
    Question
    I saw this but really don't understand what they want. Are affiliates allowed to only use their designated links and banners now? An affiliate can no longer design a page for memory using Crucial as the merchant and use SERPS to get traffic?
    I don't promote Crucial but I am intrigued at how they expect affiliates to link to them not using search engines with pages of links to their memory product.

Time to promote their competitors is the way it sounds.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

- Merged Threads, Used Leader's Title -
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Don't see what the big deal is. They're just saying don't bid on their TM anymore. Some merchants allow it, some don't. They did, now they don't. No biggie.

Crucial spends sh!t loads in offline in branding efforts. Ram is a commodity where most look for best price, not names unless they are anal (10%) and buy certified IBM or Dell Ram at 5X the price.

In this case I'd say Jared ... is doing the coporate thingie, like Trusty said.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

It sounds like they are saying don't bid on the brand, don't put any CJ links directly into a paid search ad, and don't buy search ads (on any keyword) that link to a page on your own site that features our products. Ummmmm, ok, we'll just swap those links out.

Problem 1, it's not clear what they are saying. Probelm 2, any merchant who thinks they can handle all their own search marketing and generate more sales without affiliates is probably dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    any merchant who thinks they can handle all their own search marketing and generate more sales without affiliates is probably dead wrong.
    Yep.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    "Problem 1, it's not clear what they are saying. "

Leader posted it without the ?????? Brian put in place:

Effective July 1, 2005, please remove all your Crucial search ads and refrain from:
    • Bidding on branded trade-name keywords (anything including “Crucial” or “Micron”)
    • Direct linking from a search ad (or affiliate/ splash page redirects) to wwww.crucial.com
    • Linking from search engines to memory pages that feature our affiliate links or that are selling our memory

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Darnit. I see from this merged thread that my other post came in quite a bit later! For some reason, the ABW new posts thingie had been telling me "0 results" when I came in before, so I missed the original thread. (I didn't see any other posts talking about the "new posts" being out--maybe it was something to do with my computer?) Anyway, glad my title stayed

Don't see what the big deal is. They're just saying don't bid on their TM anymore. Some merchants allow it, some don't. They did, now they don't. No biggie.~TrustNo1
    I didn't bid on their TM. So, the big deal is THIS:

and don't buy search ads (on any keyword) that link to a page on your own site that features our products. ~Superstar
    My Crucial pages WERE working w/AdWords, using keywords that didn't mention Crucial.

And, since they said they didn't want any "search marketing" sites, the change also leaves big questions about natural SERPs leading to those pages.

So basically my concern is what Popdawg said. I'm going to email them for clarification, because if they won't pay up on natural search results, there's no point in me keeping their links up.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I am not an affiliate for them, but I 'd write them something like:

"Sorry, your msg is not very clear, but just in case, I will be surely promoting another brand ASAP to avoid any problem, and my customers will land in another brand instead of your page, so please do not worry, you will not have those sales now"
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Don't see what the big deal is. They're just saying don't bid on their TM anymore. Some merchants allow it, some don't. They did, now they don't. No biggie.
    You're missing their third bullet point. See Leader's post above, quoting the entire thing and highlighting the third bullet point. They're also prohibiting you from using PPC to promote any page that has a Crucial affiliate link on it. That's just wrong.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Ah yeah. TM's i don't have a problem with but forbidding affiliates to bid on generics is just stupid.

What their doing is totally wrong and without regard for their affiliates. I've since cancelled my partnership with them and sent a nice e-mail stating my disaproval of their new policy. I suggest everyone do the same.

Internet Cowboy
    I would say their affiliate program is on the way out if you truly can't stick their link on a page of your own then send PPC traffic to that page using generic keywords. WTF is the use in having an affiliate program if this is the case?
    This is even worse than Sea Eagle's policy of not being able to tell shoppers what brand of boat you are offering them.

Hi Guys,

I see point 3 as being the most offensive and confusing. All it says is that - "Linking from search engines to memory pages that feature our affiliate links or that are selling our memory." - It doesn't refer to PPC ads or non-ppc ad all it just suggests any linking from SE's, Points 1 and 2 refer directly to PPC activity. Maybe I should write to google and ask them to stop spidering my web site as it upsets Crucial.

... bottom line, yep I agree this is a very confusing email and really needs crucial clarification!
    Happy selling,

Les

Automate... automate... automate!
    LES: Link Exchange Scripts, Affiliate Shopping Mall Scripts and Merchant product showcase scripts at
    http://www.linkexchangescripts.com

What make this even more puzzling is that they are not even bidding for top placement on relevant terms:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=computer+memory

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...de&btnG=Search

Seems they would better serve themselves to pay affiliates the modest commission than to foot the PPC bills themselves.

Internet Cowboy
    Newegg will be eating their lunch by this time next year, especially if the rumors of a Newegg affiliate program are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    My Crucial pages WERE working w/AdWords, using keywords that didn't mention Crucial. And, since they said they didn't want any "search marketing" sites, the change also leaves big questions about natural SERPs leading to those pages. So basically my concern is what Popdawg said. I'm going to email them for clarification, because if they won't pay up on natural search results, there's no point in me keeping their links up.
    Don't quote me on this, but, in all honesty, why would you e-mail them? This is probably a great example of a time when an affiliate would not want to draw attention to himself.

My stance is this: Don't change a thing. Let them be the ones to find you. They will contact you if you are doing something against the rules. You can then change your links, or let them expire a quality, performing affiliate like yourself.

this just showed up in the cj mail interface:
    To avoid any confusion on our recent program changes, the new rules apply only to paid search. Natural/organic search is not regulated by us in any way. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear on that.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Thanks. I sent that to clear up any confusion about the new policy. It applies to paid listings, not organic. The recent Google changes coupled with the fact that most of our "top affiliates" are simply buying our branded terms were factors behind the changes.

Jared Williams
    Affiliate Programs Manager
    mailto:crucialaffiliates@micron.com

Crucial Technology - The Memory Experts (SM)
    3475 E. Commercial Ct. Meridian ID 83642
    http://www.crucial.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast